PDA

View Full Version : Plain Vanilla Grinds

VertOlive
September 14th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I have some nibs that I'd like ground to simple 1.1 stubs. I see people mentioning first names and such as "nibmeisters". Is that what I need? Could anyone mention some tried and true sites or contacts here?

O thank you!

Laura N
September 14th, 2014, 10:16 PM
If you are buying new, John Mottishaw at Nibs.com is a great choice. But since these are nibs you already own, his wait would be at least six months, I believe. Off the top of my head, and under the influence of the Chicago Bears' amazing comeback, I recommend Mike Masuyama at Mike it Work and also Pendleton Brown at Pendleton's Pens. A pen show is a great time to get that work done, and depending on the pen show those two may be there, and also one or the other of Richard Binder and John Mottishaw.

Oh, there used to be a wonderful woman working with Pendemonium on stubs and italics, so I would contact them as well. I liked her work, and the folks at Pendemonium are great, so if she's still doing the work that would be another good choice.

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

There are a couple of newer people doing this work, too, but I haven't used them myself.

Everyone's taste is different, so people have different opinions on this. You may like one much more than the others. The best thing you can do if you are mailing in your nibs is to communicate exactly what you want, and to try out each person to see whose work best suits you.

mhosea
September 14th, 2014, 10:31 PM
I'm going to give Pendleton a plug here.

http://pendletonspens.com/Custom_Nib_Work/index.html

Tony Rex
September 14th, 2014, 11:06 PM
:wave: Dan.

http://fpgeeks.com/nib-services/

Silverbreeze
September 15th, 2014, 06:46 AM
I have some nibs that I'd like ground to simple 1.1 stubs. I see people mentioning first names and such as "nibmeisters". Is that what I need? Could anyone mention some tried and true sites or contacts here?

O thank you!

VO - talk to our own Dan Smith, maybe one of your pens can be a YouTube star :-)

tiffanyhenschel
September 15th, 2014, 06:13 PM

O thank you!

VO - talk to our own Dan Smith, maybe one of your pens can be a YouTube star :-)

Tracy Lee has good things to say about his stubs, and he did a good job on my needlepoint.

Tracy Lee
September 15th, 2014, 06:54 PM

O thank you!

Tracy Lee has good things to say about his stubs, and he did a good job on my needlepoint.

Dan Smith does a great job, he is fast and fairly priced and great to work with. Very accommodating and patient.

tandaina
September 15th, 2014, 07:03 PM
I'm going to replug Pendleton. He just ground two nibs for me to my exacting (and weird) specifications. And he made them perfect. One a smooth as silk medium cursive italic, the other a sharp italic with a 30 degree left oblique.... First one he's ever done and it is awesome. Gives the one John Mottishaw did on my Nakaya a serious run for its money. He's very fast and super friendly and he'll make adjustments until you are totally happy. (Never had to take him up on that, but nice to know.)

Silverbreeze
September 15th, 2014, 08:18 PM
Pendleton does wonders to any pen I get to him. But I am partial to his Pendleton Points

amk
September 16th, 2014, 09:09 AM
In the UK (I know this won't be useful to the original poster, but may be to others) John Sorowka aka Oxonian is a star. I have three pens with nibs he has tuned and they are among my favourite writers. He's a very nice chap, but he won't let you use the n*bm**ster word about him!

Elle
September 27th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Pendleton has been very patient with me and did a great job with a nib that made my messy writing look beautiful. Mike has done some of my pens and they are flawless. I intend to use them both. Mike for a more conservative pen with conservative grinds and pendleton for grinds with more swirls. It's hard to describe but their grinds both have different characters. Both great but different. I also have grinds I have bought direct from Richard Binder, which are phenomenal, but I don't know if I would have the courage to send them back to ask for adjustment if they need it.