PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding a Messenger Bag

Wrathen
September 15th, 2014, 08:16 AM
So I have been kind of poking around looking for a good messenger bag to carry around my stuff. I have one book that measures 11.25" by 8.75" and about an inch thick. I then want to carry around a 2-3 notebooks mostly A5 Rhodia Webnotes or others around that size. Then it would be nice if it had a pouch to hold a small dice bag and a spot for 2 FPs. I would prefer it not to have zippers and to have a flap to cover the top. I was hoping for leather but I'm ok with a heavy canvas as well. I would like to spend less than $100. Anyone buy one in the past they could recommend?

This is one of the better ones I have found but a bit more than I wanted to spend and its slightly larger than I wanted but ticks alot of the other boxes.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/196042773/15-vintage-oil-tanned-leather-messnger?ref=shop_home_active_9

Here is another one that is Canvas and is pretty close.
http://www.vagabondtraveler.com/product/index.php?route=product/product&path=43_49&product_id=828

inkyletters
September 15th, 2014, 09:22 AM
Rothco bags is amazing. Military surplus, can be found on amazon very heavy duty canvas with some leather options. Also, if you are carrying dice then you probably have some geek tendencies. I'd advise investigating BagChemistry on Etsy- great canvas bags, inexpensive and some awesome geek designs. As for spots to hold FPs, I'm paranoid so I instead use a padded pen wrap in the bag because I'm straight up violent to my bags and I'd hate for my poor babies to get smushed.

Silverbreeze
September 15th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Rothco bags is amazing. Military surplus, can be found on amazon very heavy duty canvas with some leather options. Also, if you are carrying dice then you probably have some geek tendencies. I'd advise investigating BagChemistry on Etsy- great canvas bags, inexpensive and some awesome geek designs. As for spots to hold FPs, I'm paranoid so I instead use a padded pen wrap in the bag because I'm straight up violent to my bags and I'd hate for my poor babies to get smushed.

I feel sorry for your SO Inky :-)

Though I am paranoid and carry my Edison in a neck holster.... Sooo...

Good bags are hard to find even at $300, especially when you add tablet and laptop, so if anyone finds a good one share. Closest I have is
Timbuk2 Command Laptop TSA-Friendly Messenger Bag, Medium, Carbon Full-Cycle Twill https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E1O4F84/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_wHWfub11XH8Q2

Timbuk2 may be an option for you

Wrathen
September 15th, 2014, 10:01 AM

While yes I am geeky I generally like a plain bag so I can go into work with it without anyone harrassing me. The Rothco bags might hold some promise I'll have to go through them tonight when I have some time. I have the ThinkGeek "Bag of Holding" and while its is great its SO large I just dont need that much storage all the time. I generally dont carry my laptop around but when I do I load that bag up. I was hoping for something smaller for just my D&D book, a few dice, and some A5 notebooks.

The more I think about it I think your right on the FPs though they need to stay a bit safer than in the bag.

Tracy Lee
September 15th, 2014, 10:23 AM
I just spent $40 on a heavy duty lined canvas mesenger bag at Barnes and Noble. Designed to hold a laptop too. Nothing special, just gray. Has a few loops and pockets inside. They had several bags and backpacks to choose from, all in the same price range. I won't use mine too often but still seems like it would hold up fine if I did.

johnus
September 15th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Yes, saw the ones at B&N over the weekend. Nice.

jjdeal
September 15th, 2014, 01:35 PM
+1 for the Rothco field engineer bag. I have one (canvas) and it is durable and holds a good bit of stuff. Got mine at Amazon $30-40???

inkyletters
September 15th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I use my field bag for my smaller archaeological tool kit. If I'm going out an need sunscreen, deet, etc then I have a slouchy canvas messenger that is filled to the brim.

sharmon202
September 15th, 2014, 03:53 PM
My Timbuk2 has been super. Design your own. Mine feels like it will last a very long time. Had it several months.

tandaina
September 15th, 2014, 05:31 PM
I love, love, love my Rickshaw bag. Made in San Francisco, very customizable, and beautiful quality. The price is very good as well, they've currently got a 20% special with the code: Commute2School

folksathome
September 15th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Dejavu

Wrathen
September 15th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I love, love, love my Rickshaw bag. Made in San Francisco, very customizable, and beautiful quality. The price is very good as well, they've currently got a 20% special with the code: Commute2School

That really looks cool. Think the code might be wrong or expired cause it gave me an error when went to checkout

tandaina
September 15th, 2014, 06:27 PM
Sorry, yeah it may be expired I saw it a couple weeks ago.

Dreck
September 15th, 2014, 09:25 PM
If you want a low-profile, heavy-duty, phenomenal bag, get a Maxpedition Larkspur. Maxpedition also sells interior organizers so you can set up interior & pocket storage exactly how you want it.

grwilliams86
September 26th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I've been carrying messenger bags for years (10 or so), and for comfort and quality, Timbuk2 is the best i found.

Wrathen
September 27th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Anyone have a Timbuk2 Catapult Medium size? I wanted to know if it would fit a book a hard back book that is 11.25"x8.75" about an inch thick? on their site it says its 13.2inch width at the bottom and 11inch tall.... so I think it would fit but would like to know if anyone has one and if they know for sure it would fit.

dharma-bum
October 16th, 2014, 11:57 AM
I have been carrying the 2.0 version of this - http://www.rickshawbags.com/laptop-messenger-bags/laptop-bag.html
Best bag yet- Durable, plenty of room and very organized.
Peace

AdaByron
October 16th, 2014, 09:16 PM
They are pricey, but the best bag I have ever owned. Unisex. Check out the Musetto from Waterfield bags.

spotted and speckled
October 17th, 2014, 11:01 AM
I have a bag that's a ringer for the canvas messenger bag you linked to. I got it at a military surplus store for under $25.