PDA

View Full Version : London WES Show

DavidDecorator
September 16th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I can't find a post to this on here. It might be here so apologies if so but.....
Who's going to the show at The Holiday Inn in Bloomsbury, London on the 5th of October?

I am.

Cob
September 16th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I can't find a post to this on here. It might be here so apologies if so but.....
Who's going to the show at The Holiday Inn in Bloomsbury, London on the 5th of October?

I am.

I am (and I'm pretty sure I know one or two others that are too).

Cob

Jeph
September 16th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I am, so buckle up! I am still trying to select pens that the goat will appreciate for the associated The Hole gathering. My current planned focus is cheap, often overlooked, pens. I doubt that I will have all of them inked but they will all be inkable. And I still swear that I am not buying any pens at the show. Seriously. Stop looking at me like that. I mean it!

RuiFromUK
September 16th, 2014, 10:30 PM
I am, so buckle up! I am still trying to select pens that the goat will appreciate for the associated The Hole gathering. My current planned focus is cheap, often overlooked, pens. I doubt that I will have all of them inked but they will all be inkable. And I still swear that I am not buying any pens at the show. Seriously. Stop looking at me like that. I mean it!

I am starting to believe you.

RuiFromUK
September 16th, 2014, 10:33 PM
On my side I'll be there to ensure to the best of my capabilities that Jeph keeps his promises. (Really? Anyone who knows me will doubt those capabilities of mine)

migo984
September 17th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Murfie & I are definitely going :-)

View from the Loft
September 17th, 2014, 12:42 AM

Well that makes two of us that won't be buying any pens at the show.

On my side I'll be there to ensure to the best of my capabilities that Jeph keeps his promises. (Really? Anyone who knows me will doubt those capabilities of mine)

Yes, I'm worried that your support of my pen buying moratorium may be somewhat lacklustre ...

Murfie
September 17th, 2014, 01:43 AM
Well that makes it two of us that WILL definitely be buying pens at the show. :)

In fact we are both guilty of pre-buying a small number from Gary Lehrer that we are to collect from his table on the day!

I am somewhat bemused about claims of being able to attend a pen show and not buy anything. It that is possible then it would demonstrate the ultimate in stoic discipline. Another downside is that if you do manage to do that, then you won't have anything to put on the table for 'show-and-tell' at the Geeks meeting on the same day!

I hope that the associated traffic jam and queues for entry aren't quite as bad as those for the Duxford Airshow last Sunday. Looking forward to seeing everybody there!

DavidDecorator
September 17th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Geeks meeting same day?

RuiFromUK
September 17th, 2014, 03:39 AM
Geeks meeting same day?

Yes, in the pub just across the road like last year.

RuiFromUK
September 17th, 2014, 03:50 AM
Well that makes it two of us that WILL definitely be buying pens at the show. :)

In fact we are both guilty of pre-buying a small number from Gary Lehrer that we are to collect from his table on the day!

I am somewhat bemused about claims of being able to attend a pen show and not buy anything. It that is possible then it would demonstrate the ultimate in stoic discipline. Another downside is that if you do manage to do that, then you won't have anything to put on the table for 'show-and-tell' at the Geeks meeting on the same day!

I hope that the associated traffic jam and queues for entry aren't quite as bad as those for the Duxford Airshow last Sunday. Looking forward to seeing everybody there!

There has never been a problem in showing (off) fountain pens at the monthly meetings even if I do not buy any at the show (doubtful).

Since Jeph and I will be coming from outside London we'll have to get him out of bed at the crack of dawn!

Gary Lehrer is in US so can I assume he is coming over for the show?

RuiFromUK
September 17th, 2014, 03:57 AM
To sweeten your presence to the show: a little bird just told me there will be some stickers and bookmarks for me to distribute to the Geeks attending LWES. :)

RuiFromUK
September 17th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Murfie & I are definitely going :-)In fact we are both guilty of pre-buying a small number from Gary Lehrer that we are to collect from his table on the day!

Sigh. I have now just joined the syndrom of "keeping up with the Joneses" or, in this case, keeping up with Migo and Murphy.

There will be a green Swan Visofil with a broad nib waiting for me at the show. :dance3:

View From The Loft, apologies but I have failed miserably in my convictions of not buying (at least) one pen at the show.

Now all I need is to work on Jeph's convictions...

Murfie
September 17th, 2014, 05:34 AM
Yes, he has a couple of tables already booked. I've been buying from him for several years but we have never crossed paths so it will be great to meet him ... and Myrna who I believe is coming too.

RuiFromUK
September 17th, 2014, 07:17 AM
Yes, he has a couple of tables already booked. I've been buying from him for several years but we have never crossed paths so it will be great to meet him ... and Myrna who I believe is coming too.

Looking forward to see what he has as it is a pain and expensive to buy anything fountain pen related from US.

View from the Loft
September 18th, 2014, 12:38 AM

Oh I didn't say I wasn't buying anything!

Just not pens.

Geeks meeting same day?

Heck yes. Lunch in the pub across the road is essential to the enjoyment of the day.

migo984
September 18th, 2014, 12:44 AM
Heck yes. Lunch in the pub across the road is essential to the enjoyment of the day.

Will that be at the Marquis Cornwallis? Is someone reserving a table?

Murfie
September 18th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Oh I didn't say I wasn't buying anything! Just not pens.
Oh, that's different. And, that means you could actually buy a matching barrel, section, cap and nib without breaking your resolve. Sounds good ...

View from the Loft
September 18th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Oh I didn't say I wasn't buying anything! Just not pens.
Oh, that's different. And, that means you could actually buy a matching barrel, section, cap and nib without breaking your resolve. Sounds good ...

Hmm, I like your style - a stealth pen acquisition (now where has that ninja smiley gone when I want it?).

Sadly, I think my OH would see through that. However, ink, pen cases and other associated parts/paraphenalia are fair game.

DavidDecorator
September 23rd, 2014, 02:12 AM
I am going to PM someone with my mobile number so that he or she or erm hesh can text me with the name of the pub we're having lunch in and also look round the show with me as last time I went to the wrong pub and spent hours wandering around on my own muttering
to myself. Stand by. Up to you if you accept my PM though, no pressure.

Cob
September 23rd, 2014, 02:52 AM
I am going to PM someone with my mobile number so that he or she or erm hesh can text me with the name of the pub we're having lunch in and also look round the show with me as last time I went to the wrong pub and spent hours wandering around on my own muttering
to myself. Stand by. Up to you if you accept my PM though, no pressure.

All the information is in the London Geeks' Meeting thread.

Cob

Chrissy
October 2nd, 2014, 03:53 AM
Can anyone go to the London WES show or do you have to be a member of WES?

Cob
October 2nd, 2014, 05:38 AM
Can anyone go to the London WES show or do you have to be a member of WES?

I understand that it is open to the public; admission £5, members £3. See this (http://newsite.wesonline.org.uk/shop/page/3?sessid=x3J7ULjGWzm2k7Ahn2Y73SUAikCTKGZ0GLAl2iaj4 LRVX1yOr3mBsbyqzpDMm6Rh&shop_param=).

Cob

DavidDecorator
October 5th, 2014, 02:39 AM
Aye yes Cob but without the lapel badge I'll have to pay the fiver instead of the thrup. I suppose my disappointment stems from fact that on the very first occasion I could have worn the badge I got at last year's show it wasn't there in my cufflinks.
I'm sure thebadge is the only proof of membership.
Still I suppose it's better than the £10 I paid for a ticket on ebay last year.
Or maybe they'll have list there to check names against. I'm renewing my membership anyway so perhaps when I do that I can get another badge.
So to sum up it's not the money or the badge it's the principal of the thing.

View from the Loft
October 5th, 2014, 10:54 AM
They will quite cheerfully check your name against the membership list, so no need to pay the higher price.

alc3261
October 5th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I am going to the Sheffield Pen Show 23rd November - is anyone else coming?

chojo
October 9th, 2014, 09:54 AM

I'm hoping to be there, I do wish there was more info about it online even the pen show website haven't any details about it. I noticed from your post on another site it's at the Copthorne hotel this year is that confirmed ?

alc3261
October 9th, 2014, 10:15 AM

I'm hoping to be there, I do wish there was more info about it online even the pen show website haven't any details about it. I noticed from your post on another site it's at the Copthorne hotel this year is that confirmed ?
I have contacted them - it is definitely at the Copthorne Hotel.

Jeph
October 10th, 2014, 06:02 AM
I swore that I was not going to buy a pen at the pen show. I did buy a bunch of tools from Laurence Oldfield as planned.

Although a pen show is not really a place to find bargains, it was an excellent place to get to see and handle a ton of pens that I had only seen pictures of, along with many more that I had never seen. The number of absolute stunning pens that Sarj had on display was dizzying. It was really too much for me to assimilate in less than a day. I also had a great talk with Cliff Harrington who opened my eyes to the old Wahl-Eversharp Dorics. He spent a great deal of time explaining to me all the nuances of the pens and although I was mostly out of quid at that point I am confident that one will find its way into my collection eventually.

And, despite my best attempts, Rui did manage to force me to buy a pen. He had a great deal of help from Regina from Martini Auctions who made me a deal that I could not refuse. I was excited to get my hands on the new Pelikan M101N Red Tortise, but she also had some Lizards left and for my tastes, the Red Tortise could not compete with the Lizard. She also had one with an EF nib, and quoted a price even lower than the outside the EU (no VAT) price on her website. I actually managed to walk away from that but before lunch I was back happily throwing money at her. She even shipped the box and papers to my home address timed so that it would be at my house the day after I returned to Germany from London. Good to her word, they showed up yesterday.

Pictures, with some size comparisons:

Murfie
October 10th, 2014, 08:16 AM
... a pen show is not really a place to find bargains ...
Thanks for that comment, Jeph. I'm not so weird after all. :)

The WES London Pen Show was my first, even though I have been a serious fountain pen collector for about 8 years. I've purchased pens from many sources around the globe and pride myself that I have a feel for a 'good' price and what a vintage pen might be worth in the marketplace. I went to the London Show with the expectation that I might find a bargain. Not so, and I ended up not buying a single pen. My companion, migo984, didn't buy one either. She had bought a very nice, near mint Waterman W5 in the previous week from a well known on-line seller for £38 and I was looking for something similar. In the morning of the show I found one that took my fancy and my request to the vendor for the price brought a response of £65. As the pen's condition wasn't as good as migo's, I let it pass. After lunch I was passing the same table and stopped to pick up that same pen to have vendor say to me 'Nice pen, only £75!' That little story epitomised the day's proceedings generally.

The attractions of a pen show are the people you get to meet (such as your good self) and the vast range of pens that you get to see and feel in the flesh. As far as purchasing goes, I will stick to my regular, reliable sources that have given me excellent service, some for several years.

whych
October 10th, 2014, 04:39 PM
She had bought a very nice, near mint Waterman W5 in the previous week from a well known on-line seller for £38 and I was looking for something similar. In the morning of the show I found one that took my fancy and my request to the vendor for the price brought a response of £65. As the pen's condition wasn't as good as migo's, I let it pass. After lunch I was passing the same table and stopped to pick up that same pen to have vendor say to me 'Nice pen, only £75!' That little story epitomised the day's proceedings generally.
But it's London and, we are told, prices are increasing there faster than anywhere else in the country. :)

Chrissy
October 11th, 2014, 09:23 AM
... a pen show is not really a place to find bargains ...
Thanks for that comment, Jeph. I'm not so weird after all. :)

The WES London Pen Show was my first, even though I have been a serious fountain pen collector for about 8 years. I've purchased pens from many sources around the globe and pride myself that I have a feel for a 'good' price and what a vintage pen might be worth in the marketplace. I went to the London Show with the expectation that I might find a bargain. Not so, and I ended up not buying a single pen. My companion, migo984, didn't buy one either. She had bought a very nice, near mint Waterman W5 in the previous week from a well known on-line seller for £38 and I was looking for something similar. In the morning of the show I found one that took my fancy and my request to the vendor for the price brought a response of £65. As the pen's condition wasn't as good as migo's, I let it pass. After lunch I was passing the same table and stopped to pick up that same pen to have vendor say to me 'Nice pen, only £75!' That little story epitomised the day's proceedings generally.

The attractions of a pen show are the people you get to meet (such as your good self) and the vast range of pens that you get to see and feel in the flesh. As far as purchasing goes, I will stick to my regular, reliable sources that have given me excellent service, some for several years.

At least I don't feel quite so bad because I missed it now.