PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever just "Binge" sometimes?

KBeezie
September 17th, 2014, 01:56 AM
Be it inks, accessories or pens themselves...

This weekend was another small binge moment for me, haven't had a bad run like that since I started out with the cheaper chinese pens (which are much much easier to binge on). I have 6 pens coming to me, well one already got to me and it went right back out to my restoration guy.

Pilot Elite Lady (~80s) both metal cap and end cap with a silverish color an embroidery type of engraving, and a coral pink section with an 18K Fine[/*]
Pilot Elite (~70s) Black, much like my Pilot Elite Mini, but with an 18K Posting Nib[/*]
Sailor (~60s, 70s maybe), White/Silver body/cap/section with gold faint stars on it, like a sailor copy of the Pilot Elite Mini, with a 14K Sailor-2 "507 jis-mark" nib.[/*]
Platinum PTL-10000 Red (new) with an 18K Medium[/*]
Bexley Jitterbug (JukeBox Red), Fine Nib (tuned)[/*]
Sheaffer Tuckaway Valiant Vac, Gold Pearled Striated, 1945~1947, 2-tone Lifetime triumph nib, currently out for full restoration (the 'before picture (http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/sheaffer/tuckaway/gold_striated_valiant/uncapped_before.jpg)', which I'll take the same shot when it comes back)*[/*]

Two of them was a case of, I won what I wanted the most already, and was expecting people to outbid me on the others since the max bid I set was what I considered quite low.

I already have the following ...

Vintage (pre-60s)

Sheaffer MiLady Balance ('39-41) in Striated Carmine + EF Feathertouch[/*]
*Sheaffer Craftsman Lever ('47-49) in Persian Blue + Monotone #33 EF Nib[/*]
Sheaffer Touchdown Admiral ('51) in Evergreen Green + Feathertouch Accounting Nib[/*]
Sheaffer Touchdown Statesman ('50-'51) in Persian Blue + 2-tone 14K Fine[/*]
Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Burgundy + Monotone 14K Fine[/*]
*Sheaffer Snorkel Admiral in Black + Monotone 14K M2 Medium[/*]
Parker 51 Vac (1948 Q1, Nib 1950), Cordovan Brown, 1/8 14K Gold Filled Cap, 14K Fine-Medium Nib[/*]
*1958 "Ultra" syringe filler (american store brand I'd imagine)[/*]
Eversharp Skyline Demi (Army/Navy wide band derby Cap, Navy blue body), 14K Fine~EF nib[/*]
Eversharp Skyline (Burgundy, Black/Green Cap), 14K Fine Nib[/*]

Vintage-ish (60s-90s)

Pilot Elite Mini (~70s), Black, 18K Soft Fine[/*]
Montblanc 225 (Piston, ~70s), Black Body, Platinated Cap, 14K Japanese-Sized EF with Platinum Coating[/*]
Pelikan M250 (Piston, Black, '92-'96), 14K Medium[/*]

Modern

Pilot Petit1, Steel Fine[/*]
Pilot Vanishing Point (Blue Carbonesque), 14K Fine[/*]
*Pilot Vanishing Point (Black Carbonesque), 18K Medium[/*]
Platinum Century 3776 (Bourgogne), 14K Medium[/*]
*Platinum PTL-5000 (Black + Maki-e), 14K Extra-Fine[/*]
Lamy Safari (Charcoal Black), EF, F, 1.9[/*]
Faber-Castell BASIC (Leather), Fine[/*]
Monteverde Invincia Deluxe Nighthawk (v1), Goulet EF[/*]
Kaweco AL Sport (Raw), Medium[/*]
*Jinhao 599 (Orange)[/*]
*Jinhao 159, Goulet 2-tone Medium[/*]
*Uranus KSF-301 (Blue/Silver)[/*]
Noodler's Ahab Flex (Black)[/*]

The * marked ones are ones I'm either selling or planning to get rid of.

I was hoping to get rid of a few before I went on a binge like that again, just seemed tempting to pass up and then one thing led to another. Then AFTER the binge I saw a very lovely Namiki Custom in a wood finish and a 18K Fine nib, and was thinking if I hadn't just bought 6 pens I'd so grab that...

Hi, I'm Karl and I have a problem...

Murfie
September 17th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Karl, relax, you are just normal like the rest of us on this forum. Chill out and enjoy the ride ...

Jeph
September 17th, 2014, 03:52 AM
I thought that I had a problem also, but then I bought more pen cases. Problem solved.

caribbean_skye
September 17th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Hi Karl and welcome to the club

Lady Onogaro
September 17th, 2014, 10:59 AM
I was worried about overspending (or over-acquiring) for a while, but lately I've tapered off. Nothing has really appealed to me, though, and I keep thinking "hey, you should really use that Platinum Chartres with the Pendleton point that you already have" or "you haven't used that TWSBI Pendleton point for a while," or "where's that Pelikan you already love?" So that seems to stop me right now. I can't say it will continue to, but right now I am in hover mode.

Sailor Kenshin
September 17th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Only 'sometimes?' 0____o

Jon Szanto
September 17th, 2014, 04:38 PM

Besides being obsessed with lists?

Jon Szanto
September 17th, 2014, 04:40 PM
And if you want to step it up at least an order of magnitude, go to a pen show. Yeah, you can go with a "budget" - hahahahahahahahaha! - but when you see things there and realize that if it is something you've wanted or now you want and you might never see that pen at that price again and be able to try it and feel it and...

Yeah. Binge, baby.

Sailor Kenshin
September 17th, 2014, 05:18 PM
See, this is why I go to the LIPS only every other year.

scrivelry
September 17th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I was very good at the LIPS. I only really binged on sacs.

Of course why I needed a sac binge is something I may not be discussing...

VertOlive
September 17th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I thought I had backed away from the edge, but I've got this orange thing starting to happen, and am convinced I need more orange pens...

KBeezie
September 17th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Well these two arrived today:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jitterbug/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jitterbug/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/uncapped.jpg

4 more incoming...

Also my two bottles of Iroshizuku inks will be here Friday.

Jon Szanto
September 17th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Handsome Jitterbug. The Pilot reminds me of Lady Sheaffers! And you'll love the Iros, no matter the colors. Have fun!!

Tony Rex
September 18th, 2014, 12:10 AM
And you'll love the Iros, no matter the colors.

Pun unintended, Jon? Iro (色) means colour :D

Jon Szanto
September 18th, 2014, 12:44 AM

Entirely unintended, Tony! Pray tell, what do we derive, in English, from shizuku?

Tony Rex
September 18th, 2014, 12:57 AM

Entirely unintended, Tony! Pray tell, what do we derive, in English, from shizuku?

Drop (as in water drops) or dew. Therefore literally it means "ink droplets", but metaphorically reflects the soft shading characteristic of the product. Fantastic marketing/branding.

And yes I also binge on pens too, Karl :)

Murfie
September 18th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Binge pen buying is the direct result of seeing brilliant photos of other FPG members' pens! ...

Jon Szanto
September 18th, 2014, 01:10 AM
Drop (as in water drops) or dew. Therefore literally it means "ink droplets", but metaphorically reflects the soft shading characteristic of the product. Fantastic marketing/branding.

Indeed. All in service of a fabulous product, engagingly and beautifully packaged. Remarkable. Thanks, Tony.

Murfie
September 18th, 2014, 01:14 AM
I thought I had backed away from the edge, but I've got this orange thing starting to happen, and am convinced I need more orange pens...
Something like this you mean? ... tease, tease, tease ...

KBeezie
September 18th, 2014, 03:06 AM
Handsome Jitterbug. The Pilot reminds me of Lady Sheaffers! And you'll love the Iros, no matter the colors. Have fun!!

I was provided a sample of Iroshizuku Fuyu-syogun (Old Man Winter).

I ended up moving the Bexley nib over to the Nighthawk when the plating suddenly started coming off the Bexley nib (no clue what happened, I was just rinsing it off under the tap water with nothing else but tap water and my bare fingers). But anywho I loaded up the Fuyu-syogun in that pen, and I changed the Jitterbug! over to Diamine eclipse with the Goulet EF nib on that.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/nighthawk/fuyusyogun.jpg

... I might have to get a bottle if it ends up growing on me. Sort of reminds me of a muted version of Akkerman #9 (Laan van Nieuw Oost-Indigo).

Sailor Kenshin
September 18th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Well these two arrived today:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jitterbug/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/jitterbug/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/capped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/lady/uncapped.jpg

4 more incoming...

Also my two bottles of Iroshizuku inks will be here Friday.

Them's both awful purdy. I'm especially intrigued by the Pilot.

Plume145
September 19th, 2014, 05:13 PM

That! Although for me it's the bexley. Wow, totally mesmerized by all those purdy swirls now. That'll give you something to look at in a boring class/meeting!

KBeezie
September 19th, 2014, 05:29 PM

That! Although for me it's the bexley. Wow, totally mesmerized by all those purdy swirls now. That'll give you something to look at in a boring class/meeting!

Seems that they have a lifetime warranty on it if purchased new

Our warranty policy is: All products manufactured by the Bexley Pen Company, Inc. are warranted to the original registered owner, for normal use, against defects in materials and workmanship for the lifetime of the product, provided any service is done by an authorized Bexley Service Technician.

This warranty specifically excludes normal wear and tear, intentional misuse, abuse, neglect, accidental breakage, or product loss.

Though I wish they were clear, like if I post the cap and the cap ends up cracking from the posting is that "normal wear and tear", obviously if it's dropped and it breaks, that's not covered, but what about cracking just from using it normally? (mainly because compared to say a Kaweco AL Sport, it's posting is more of a forced friction than just sliding on)

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2014, 05:38 PM
Life is full of "what if's". Write them and ask, or just enjoy your pen and not worry about it. Gentle posting is always in order.

KBeezie
September 19th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Life is full of "what if's". Write them and ask, or just enjoy your pen and not worry about it. Gentle posting is always in order.

Not worried, just curious. There's a lot of stuff left out in such claims that sometimes I wonder if they do that intentionally so they can approve/deny warranty work on a case-by-case basis.

PS: the Bottles of Tsuki-yo and Syo-ro arrived today, Amazon apparently does not know how to package ink. If you've ever gotten a book from them, where it's a sheet of cardboard folded over, then tucked in at the top and bottom half, then you'll know that's how they shipped it. No padding other than some wad of paper on the end to keep it sliding from one side to the other, but it was almost falling out of the box getting it from the carrier, no wrap, no bubblewrap, no tape, nada, just the raw boxes and rhodia pad placed on a slab of thin cardboard, and tucked over and shipped in just that. Luckily nothing was damaged.

rdcalhoon
September 19th, 2014, 05:54 PM
I suspect Amazon sometimes plays a percentages game, figuring it is cheaper to replace the occasional broken bottle than to add a few cents padding to each package.

Of course that places no value on the happiness of the occasional disappointed customer.

KBeezie
September 19th, 2014, 05:58 PM
I suspect Amazon sometimes plays a percentages game, figuring it is cheaper to replace the occasional broken bottle than to add a few cents padding to each package.

Of course that places no value on the happiness of the occasional disappointed customer.

One of the items was furnished by Hyatt's All Things Creative (the inks were from Amazon LLC directly), so I don't know who exactly is responsible for the manner of packaging. (ie: if Hyatt's packaged it and was credited by amazon for the inks, or vice versa).

I'm also somewhat spoiled by Goulet Pens' level of packaging.

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Do not argue with the Juggernaut. It knows what is best for you.

(... and it will never change as long as people feed it ...)

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2014, 06:08 PM
As an aside: Karl, where did you get your marble/granite pieces that you photograph against? They are always attractive and make good, yet non-boring, backgrounds for your pens. I just realized that the Pilot photos almost make the pen look like it's sitting in snow.

KBeezie
September 19th, 2014, 06:24 PM
As an aside: Karl, where did you get your marble/granite pieces that you photograph against? They are always attractive and make good, yet non-boring, backgrounds for your pens. I just realized that the Pilot photos almost make the pen look like it's sitting in snow.

Lowes mainly (can find them at home depot I'm sure), usually anywhere between 60 cents a slab to around 1.50 a slab. The actual marble ones are usually closer to $3 to $5 for a square foot, the black marble one was 4.50 if I recall correctly.

Some of the larger ones like 2 feet across were cheaper for me. I just set them on a little popup table, where the large slab just stays there which I can use for larger set-ups, and I just put the smaller 1 foot slabs on top of that if I want to change the background to compliment.

But yea a couple months ago I got 2 or so, then I binged on getting about 6 more, but when they're less than $2 a piece they make great backgrounds for small objects.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pmetro/uncapped.jpg

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/nighthawk/nighthawk_goulet.jpg

Also helps to use a circular polarizer especially for marble to control the reflection of the marble itself.

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelite/capped.jpg

But yea, just a small pop-up table, slab on top of it, and to my right and left the photogenic powerlight 750 with a 32" softbox on those, and usually a tripod right in front (especially for close shots), and if I need to control the reflection some more, I got a piece of posterboard I can just pull out from behind the pop-up table that's all white so that the reflection in the pens or surfaces isn't showing something like my ceiling. It's a little more dynamic than just using a light tent (light tends tend to light up the whole scene and doesn't offer much room for shadows), especially since I can just hold a piece of printer paper in front of one side of the pen to control diffusion from one side or the other which is what I did with the Tuckaway pic above.

Jon Szanto
September 19th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Thanks, KB. We have an area of town that had a lot of tile and slab businesses, and someday I may drive up there and just go to a few to see if they have pieces and end-bits that I might get for not much. I've got a few tiles and left-over from our kitchen remod a few years ago. I need some variety, though!

KBeezie
September 19th, 2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks, KB. We have an area of town that had a lot of tile and slab businesses, and someday I may drive up there and just go to a few to see if they have pieces and end-bits that I might get for not much. I've got a few tiles and left-over from our kitchen remod a few years ago. I need some variety, though!

Yea, that's the reason for my mid-year binge on slabs because I wanted more variety and more colors/textures. Kind of wish I could find something that looks like stone/granite but in a green, blue or other colors, most of the stuff of colors are sort of vinyl or linoleum, and their 'printing' really shows under a macro lens.

For example:

http://static.karlblessing.com/pens/pilotelitemini/uncapped.jpg

Zhivago
September 20th, 2014, 12:30 AM
PS: the Bottles of Tsuki-yo and Syo-ro arrived today, Amazon apparently does not know how to package ink. If you've ever gotten a book from them, where it's a sheet of cardboard folded over, then tucked in at the top and bottom half, then you'll know that's how they shipped it. No padding other than some wad of paper on the end to keep it sliding from one side to the other, but it was almost falling out of the box getting it from the carrier, no wrap, no bubblewrap, no tape, nada, just the raw boxes and rhodia pad placed on a slab of thin cardboard, and tucked over and shipped in just that. Luckily nothing was damaged.

That is better packaging than my last ink purchase Amazon. A bottle of Iroshizuku put in a bubble wrap envelope. Arrived at my door (via UPS) with the box smushed a good bit and the cap of the bottle cracked.

KBeezie
September 20th, 2014, 01:16 AM

That is better packaging than my last ink purchase Amazon. A bottle of Iroshizuku put in a bubble wrap envelope. Arrived at my door (via UPS) with the box smushed a good bit and the cap of the bottle cracked.

They're also a little weird/inconsistent. I provided them with feedback saying I was not amused with their manner of packaging, made no mentions of anything being damaged or not damaged, just simply felt the packaging was grossly inadequate for a pair of glass bottles.

So then course maybe 3-4 hours ago I get an email like so:

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear all these. We at Amazon certainly don't want our customers to experience any inconvenience.

We always give top most priority to safety and quality. We can't tolerate the described packaging of product because it can lead to severe damage and we don't want even minor damage in transit. We understand and value our customers' trust.

On priority, I've forwarded your message (as feedback) to the concerned team. Each report they receive is investigated and the appropriate action is taken. So that we can make sure to our customers that it will not be repeated. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

To help compensate for the inconvenience, please let us know through the link below if you would like us to either create free replacement with upgraded shipping method or issue you full refund for the item or items among three items in your order, if item or items arrived with damaged i.e if you would not like to keep the item or items because of damage or low packaging standards.

We don't expect return of item/items which you have received. Please know that there is no need to return the item or items; we will create free replacement or issue you full refund for the item or items which ever is convenient for you.

Please let us know the item name and your choice --- replace or refund.

-- A link they gave me --

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you.

Best regards,
Shams

So... I just filled out the form (guessing their response was a cookie cutter one that made multiple presumptions), then get this back .

Hello,

I'm sorry about the problem you had with your recent order. This usually doesn't happen. When something like this happens, I'd normally send out a replacement order.

Due to a technical glitch, I'm not able to create a replacement order.

However, I've requested a full refund of $49.31 for the damaged items. This refund will appear in the next 2-3 business days as a credit on the original payment method used for the order.

Once processed, you'll also be able to see the refund here:

-- A link here --

Follow this link to print a return mailing label and get instructions for returning the incorrect item you received:

-- A link here --

If clicking on the link doesn't work, please make sure you're signed into the account you used to place the order. Once you're signed in, try clicking it again or copying and pasting it into your browser's address window.

When you return the item, follow the instructions listed on the mailing label page. If you don't have a printer, write back using the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/returns-and-refunds.html

Once the carrier has received your return package, it can take up to two weeks for us to receive and process your return.

In an effort to compensate you for this inconvenience, please place a new order via One-Day Shipping directly from Amazon.com or order fulfilled by Amazon and write back to us with your order number. We'll waive off or refund the shipping fee completely.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

-- A link here --

Thank you for your understanding. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com.

Best regards,
Manikandan J.

K that's a little odd, especially the bolded part (and note the underlined portion of the previous email), I just asked them for email back for clarification. I mean with Goulet even if the bottle seemed like it was intact but just lost some of it's ink from loose cap or whatever, they don't ask for the bottle back, and they certainly don't tell you two different things in the process lol.

*shrug* Guess I'll just stick to the sellers/retailers I know.

Laura N
September 20th, 2014, 09:36 AM

They're also a little weird/inconsistent. I provided them with feedback saying I was not amused with their manner of packaging, made no mentions of anything being damaged or not damaged, just simply felt the packaging was grossly inadequate for a pair of glass bottles.

So then course maybe 3-4 hours ago I get an email like so:

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear all these. We at Amazon certainly don't want our customers to experience any inconvenience.

We always give top most priority to safety and quality. We can't tolerate the described packaging of product because it can lead to severe damage and we don't want even minor damage in transit. We understand and value our customers' trust.

On priority, I've forwarded your message (as feedback) to the concerned team. Each report they receive is investigated and the appropriate action is taken. So that we can make sure to our customers that it will not be repeated. I apologize for the inconvenience this has caused.

To help compensate for the inconvenience, please let us know through the link below if you would like us to either create free replacement with upgraded shipping method or issue you full refund for the item or items among three items in your order, if item or items arrived with damaged i.e if you would not like to keep the item or items because of damage or low packaging standards.

We don't expect return of item/items which you have received. Please know that there is no need to return the item or items; we will create free replacement or issue you full refund for the item or items which ever is convenient for you.

Please let us know the item name and your choice --- replace or refund.

-- A link they gave me --

We look forward to hearing from you and assisting you.

Best regards,
Shams

So... I just filled out the form (guessing their response was a cookie cutter one that made multiple presumptions), then get this back .

Hello,

I'm sorry about the problem you had with your recent order. This usually doesn't happen. When something like this happens, I'd normally send out a replacement order.

Due to a technical glitch, I'm not able to create a replacement order.

However, I've requested a full refund of $49.31 for the damaged items. This refund will appear in the next 2-3 business days as a credit on the original payment method used for the order.

Once processed, you'll also be able to see the refund here:

-- A link here --

Follow this link to print a return mailing label and get instructions for returning the incorrect item you received:

-- A link here --

If clicking on the link doesn't work, please make sure you're signed into the account you used to place the order. Once you're signed in, try clicking it again or copying and pasting it into your browser's address window.

When you return the item, follow the instructions listed on the mailing label page. If you don't have a printer, write back using the following link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/returns-and-refunds.html

Once the carrier has received your return package, it can take up to two weeks for us to receive and process your return.

In an effort to compensate you for this inconvenience, please place a new order via One-Day Shipping directly from Amazon.com or order fulfilled by Amazon and write back to us with your order number. We'll waive off or refund the shipping fee completely.

Please visit the following link to provide the information we requested:

-- A link here --

Thank you for your understanding. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com.

Best regards,
Manikandan J.

K that's a little odd, especially the bolded part (and note the underlined portion of the previous email), I just asked them for email back for clarification. I mean with Goulet even if the bottle seemed like it was intact but just lost some of it's ink from loose cap or whatever, they don't ask for the bottle back, and they certainly don't tell you two different things in the process lol.

*shrug* Guess I'll just stick to the sellers/retailers I know.

I never had a problem ordering bottled ink from Amazon, but over the many years that I've shopped there I've had an occasional problem with other liquids shipped by them. What you received and are posting is their form email response. If you had contacted them and let them know that the item is a liquid and the bottle or cap is broken so that the liquid has spilled, they would acknowledge that you do not need to resend the package but can just throw the item away. Then they would send the replacement item immediately.

However I'm confused. Unless I misunderstood, it seemed like you said here about your ink that "nothing was damaged." I'm no fan of the big corporation, but if I had mistakenly gave Amazon the impression that my ink was damaged and should be refunded, I would want to correct that instead of accepting an unwarranted refund of $49.31.

Kurt S
September 20th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Just to be on the safe side, whenever I order ink I only get it from Goulet Pens! Their packaging is second to none! And you get a treat! :)

KBeezie
September 20th, 2014, 12:25 PM
However I'm confused. Unless I misunderstood, it seemed like you said here about your ink that "nothing was damaged." I'm no fan of the big corporation, but if I had mistakenly gave Amazon the impression that my ink was damaged and should be refunded, I would want to correct that instead of accepting an unwarranted refund of $49.31.

Thus my confusion, and I didn't say anything was damaged, I email backed because I never authorized or asked a refund. I only expressed my dissatisfaction with the manner of shipping. I think they're doing a lot of automated responses.

But then when I try to reply to via email to clarify, because my email is admin@* and not info@* on my account (which is a forwarder) I'd get back the cookie cutter message that they can't look up any tickets because my email doesn't match, then had to go and update my email on amazon so that I could do it again.

Little difficult going back and forth. Only reason I ordered from them was because I was trying to spend up a $50 VISA Gift card, and Amazon was one of the places that didn't take paypal, and had iroshizuku inks for cheaper. I'll wait til I see that fund back on the gift card and then see if I can get one of my family members to call them up during the day time to correct (I can't hear, and I think most of their email staff are just running on autopilot).

Just to be on the safe side, whenever I order ink I only get it from Goulet Pens! Their packaging is second to none! And you get a treat! :)

That's who I was originally looking to order from, but figured with the gift card's value I could get two at Amazon due to the bottles being around $20 to $22 for some of them with free shipping over $35.

ac12
September 20th, 2014, 08:43 PM
More times that I would like to.
At the SF Pen Show, I bought 13 bottles of ink. That will probably last me at least 10 years. And I know I'm going to be buying more ink in the future.
I've done that with pens, where I will go on a spurt and get several pens in one week.

stub
September 21st, 2014, 09:44 AM
This thread makes my own Pen Acquisition Sindrome feel kinda on the tame side (currently have 10 pens after a purge).

It is hard to binge here. It's not a great fountain pen friendly place but I have gone a little bonkers lately. I usually don't but I wanted to get a Parker 51 again after not having one in many years and watching the prices climb, and at the same time someone who knows of my lust for a Lamy 27, out of the blue, offered to sell me his AND ... at the same time a Vacumatic Major came my way so I went from having exactly 1 vintage pen left (I had to sell everything 2 years ago) to waiting on three in the mail.

I won't, and can't do this again. But yeah... waiting on a 51, a Vacumatic and a Lamy 27 all hopefully this week.

KBeezie
September 21st, 2014, 11:45 AM
This thread makes my own Pen Acquisition Sindrome feel kinda on the tame side (currently have 10 pens after a purge).

It is hard to binge here. It's not a great fountain pen friendly place but I have gone a little bonkers lately. I usually don't but I wanted to get a Parker 51 again after not having one in many years and watching the prices climb, and at the same time someone who knows of my lust for a Lamy 27, out of the blue, offered to sell me his AND ... at the same time a Vacumatic Major came my way so I went from having exactly 1 vintage pen left (I had to sell everything 2 years ago) to waiting on three in the mail.

I won't, and can't do this again. But yeah... waiting on a 51, a Vacumatic and a Lamy 27 all hopefully this week.

Seemed like it'd be easy to Binge in Korea especially if you got the funds... that is of course assuming your preference leans more towards Asian pens. I imagine the same way I buy some Japanese stuff cheap directly from Japan that there are some folks in Asia trying to get the American pens (particularly vintage) really cheap directly from the US.

Austin_Malone
September 21st, 2014, 05:20 PM
I actually save up and buy several things at once. It is much more fun for me to have so many new pens that I won't ink up all at once. The fun of something new lasts longer that way. Inks especially, when I get a new Ink I put it in three pens to figure out what it acts like.

scrivelry
September 25th, 2014, 09:55 AM
Pride will get you... immediately after posting that I had not binged on anything but sacs at the LI pen show, I binged bad, on ebay.

It seemed like all of a sudden, lots of stuff I like was going cheap. A GF repousse pen. A Waterman with a gold nib. A particular vintage of Wearever. A Chinese pen I think I'll like...

Three packages in the mail today - the Post Office had to come by here twice - at least one is lounging in the main post office and might appear at any time...

And that is not all. All in all, not a huge financial hit, but a binge, certainly...

Sailor Kenshin
September 25th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Goulets have an ink clearance now. And right on the heels of my Iro sample buy.

gbryal
September 25th, 2014, 11:15 AM
I've gotten all of my pens on one binge or another. My next pen will be a deliberate choice and I plan to spend more time than I need to in order to find it I think. Just to see what happens.