PDA

View Full Version : Mike Masuyama's nibs & Franklin Christoph

sebastien_morissette
September 17th, 2014, 07:56 AM
Hi folks

I have a question concerning Mike Matsuyama’s nibs that can be added as an option in the Franklin Christoph’s fountain pens : You know how a Japanese F nib is finer than a German F nib…. Well how does Masuyama’s nib compares to them in thems of sizing scale ??

tiffanyhenschel
September 17th, 2014, 08:48 AM
The Franklin Christophe stock nibs are standard German Jowo nibs and are typical for Western tip sizes. Mike Masuyama uses those nibs and modifies them into stubs or cursive italics. He also does a needlepoint grind that is equivalent to a Pilot VP EF, or approximately .2 mm.

dneal
September 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
FC nibs are standard western / european nibs, and the specialty Masuyama nibs are cut from those standard western sizes. You have essentially 3 choices: Stub, Cursive Italic and Needlepoint. The first two are cut from a medium or bold nib (your choice), with the final line width noted on FC's website. FC Nib link (http://www.franklin-christoph.com/specialty-nib-info.html)

The cursive italic is pretty crisp, and I would lean to the stub if you want something a little more forgiving. The needlepoint is exactly what it says. It's not a substitute for a "standard" XF.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa163/roomdog/Pens/MasuyamaNeedlepoint001_zps6bfbcebb.jpg

sebastien_morissette
September 17th, 2014, 10:59 AM
Thank you very much for your answers.

that needle point is crazy !!! :blink:

Silverbreeze
September 17th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Thank you very much for your answers.

that needle point is crazy !!! :blink:

Yeah both Mike Masuyama and Richard Binder have needlepoints that are scarily like needles!

sebastien_morissette
September 17th, 2014, 02:18 PM
i don't mind a scratchier nib so am tempted by the italic nib...

Silverbreeze
September 17th, 2014, 03:59 PM
i don't mind a scratchier nib so am tempted by the italic nib...

I love my steel Cursive Italic on my Bellus

Matt Armstrong- The Pen Habit sings praises about his, which I think is a Gold nib