PDA

View Full Version : So did I find anything worth having?

Wrathen
September 17th, 2014, 09:15 PM
So I'm still very new to fountain pens these 2 will make number 2 & 3. I wanted to know if I found something that is worth anything or worth having? Sorry for bad picture I have no light box and just phone for a camera.

I found:
Esterbrook (red) with a 2668 nib & an 9460 nib
Wearever (green w/ gold) I cant read the nib I have no jewelers loop the great is a bit more neon than in person

http://i.imgur.com/c3gv7iy.jpg

fountainpenkid
September 17th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Both pens have basically no monetary value, but might be fun to tune up--they are cheap and so you wouldn't feel to bad about learning nib tuning and other pen adjustment techniques on them.

Sailor Kenshin
September 18th, 2014, 06:13 AM
What's the extra nib just sitting there?

Wrathen
September 18th, 2014, 07:04 AM
a 9460

scrivelry
September 18th, 2014, 07:24 AM
In terms of expensive pens to collect, no, but you ask the question "Did I find anything worth having" and the answer is yes.

Despite not being particularly pretty, the Wearevers could be said to be important pens for the same reason you have this one - they were incredibly numerous. They were accessible, tons of people had them, and they worked. They wrote, and a lot of them will still write. Since they are pens and the functional purpose of a pen is to write, I'd say yes, worth it - should write for you, and it's a connection to many many people of the past who wrote with them.

Whatever may be wrong with it you can feel free to try to fix, giving you experience in repair and also a greater understanding of how these things work - also worth it.

The Esterbrook nibs alone are worth something - not tons of money, but you can put them in an Esterbrook, vintage Osmiroids, and vintage Rapidograph pens if you don't have an Esterbrook pen body, and they were good nibs and write well.

So your find is not financially tremendous, but still has, to my way of thinking, a good deal of worth. Enjoy!

LagNut
September 23rd, 2014, 08:25 PM
Do Osmiroid nibs fit in esterbrooks? I have italics that would be fun in my J!

And this to me is an example of the real value of a pen, fun...