PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Diamine Autumn Oak

Oblique and Inky
September 20th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Does Diamine's Autumn Oak suffer from the orange ink problem of nib crud?

Apart from Herbin's Orange Indien, is there a shade of orange that isn't cursed with this affliction?

Laura N
September 20th, 2014, 07:42 PM
I can't answer your first question, I'm afraid. But I'll take a shot at the second. I have three bottles of orange ink, and none have ever left deposits on any nib: MB Ink of Joy, Caran D'Ache Saffron and Pelikan Edelstein Mandarin. I believe the Pelikan is still in production.

migo984
September 21st, 2014, 12:30 AM
I have the Autumn Oak and haven't seen any evidence of problems. I've mainly used it in a Kaweco Al Raw with BB nib.

snedwos
September 21st, 2014, 07:28 AM
I've found that quite a few diamine inks dry to a rather ugly looking crust. Kelly green is the latest. I've also found it cleans up just fine so I don't worry about it. I haven't had autumn oak in a pen long enough to notice anything.

reprieve
September 21st, 2014, 08:32 AM
Apart from Herbin's Orange Indien, is there a shade of orange that isn't cursed with this affliction?

I'm a big orange ink fan. I've never had the crystallization crud with Iroshizuku Yu-yake, Iroshizuku Fuyu-gaki, Pelikan Edelstein Amber, Noodler's Apache Sunset, Noodler's Cayenne, Sailor Kin-mokusei, Sailor Yellow-orange, Caran d'Ache Saffron, Private Reserve Orange Crush… there are probably others I'm forgetting.

Diamine inks do tend to crystallize for whatever reason. I've especially noticed it with Blaze Orange and, in at least a few different pens, Ancient Copper. The crud does wipe away easily and it doesn't seem to cause any clogging issues or other problems. It seems to develop more often in pens with less-than-airtight caps. I've noticed the ink crystallizing quickly if the cap has a breather hole or if it's a slip cap.