PDA

View Full Version : Dallas 2014

tiffanyhenschel
September 23rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
The Dallas Pen Show of 2014 begins in just three days. Who is going? Do you want to meet?

caribbean_skye
September 23rd, 2014, 05:27 PM
I am driving up early Friday morning, will be there til Sunday

earthdawn
September 24th, 2014, 10:47 PM
Heres a little peek... maybe you should run by the Vanness table first

http://instagram.com/p/tWIh7AiP1K/?modal=true

tiffanyhenschel
September 25th, 2014, 03:28 AM
Heres a little peek... maybe you should run by the Vanness table first

http://instagram.com/p/tWIh7AiP1K/?modal=true
Oooo!!!!! Awesome!

dbarron
September 25th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I hope to drop in, but I don't if it will be Friday evening or Saturday. This would be my first show, so I'm not exactly certain what to expect.

tiffanyhenschel
September 25th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I hope to drop in, but I don't if it will be Friday evening or Saturday. This would be my first show, so I'm not exactly certain what to expect.

Expect lots of pens, ink, paper, and people. :welcome: There will also be other pen related items. Dallas is a great show for beginners. It's big enough to have almost anything you're looking for but not overwhelming like DC or LA can be. Everyone is friendly, and there are always some who meet at the hotel bar to socialize after the show closes at 8 on Friday.

Mike Masuyama (Mike-It-Work) will be there doing nibwork. A helpful hint -- if you want him to work on your pens, get in his queue as soon as you arrive. Once your name is on the list, you don't have to wait at the table. They will give you an approximate wait time, and you can come back to see if your turn has come up. I think he takes your cell number in case you haven't shown up yet for your turn.

Decide on a budget ahead of time, and bring some cash. Many vendors take cards now, but your perfect pen will probably be with someone who only takes cash. :stop: Besides, having cash helps you stick to your budget. Regardless of how much thought you put into your list, you will find something that tempts you.

That's part of the fun, though. I don't even take a list anymore. I have an idea of a few things I want to look at, but beyond that, I just wait until I'm there to decide what I want this year.

Above all, don't be afraid to introduce yourself and ask people about their pens. That's the best part of any pen show!

Lady Onogaro
September 25th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I wish I could go. It's only a 7 hour drive for me, but alas, I am giving a workshop on poem-sketching for Acadiana WordLab.

tiffanyhenschel
September 27th, 2014, 08:48 PM
This is my fourth year at the Dallas show, and it was my favorite so far. My budget was the smallest I've ever had for a show, but ironically, I think I enjoyed the show more because of it. Maybe I found the sweet spot where I have enough to get something special but little enough that I have to be very cautious of every dollar so I pay close attention???

My "agenda" for this show was to have no agenda. I had two absolutes, but after that, I just waited to see what would unfold. I will definitely follow this same path for future shows.

Absolute #1 was to have Mike Masuyama fix the nib on my rose gold TWSBI mini. I can do basic nib adjustments, but this one was beyond my experience. I signed up on his list at 10:05 --five minutes after the show started-- and didn't come up in the queue until early afternoon. Fortunately, you just leave your number and he calls you when it's your turn.

Absolute #2 was to find Michael Sull and ask about getting one of his oblique pen holders. I've been trying to get ahold of one for several months with no luck >:( This time I was successful. I didn't get one at the show, but he is making a new batch in a couple of weeks and let me preorder one.

Next in order of priority was looking for some vintage Skrip inks. Lesley helped me scan the room for the telltale yellow and blue boxes (Thanks!) and I scored pristine bottles of Persian Rose and Melon Red.

I spent a lot of time at the Franklin Christoph table trying nibs and comparing the two stabilis models 65 and 66. They had the 66 in Ice like at the DC show. They didn't have it in the 65, though. I really wanted to like the model 66 so I could get the Ice material, but no. Good news, though! They are beginning production runs of both the 66 and 65 in Ice and should have them on the website in a few weeks. :) They also had an emerald green model 65 there. They do plan to introduce that color too, but that one is farther in the future.

In other Franklin Christoph news, they have an Italic fine now. It's not on the website yet, but I tried it out. I believe it is a Masuyama grind, but I didn't verify that. It definitely isn't stock from the factory.

If you tried their paper before and wished it were whiter, try it again. They have new stock.

Noodler's news: The Neponset music nib pen really does exist. :) Luxury Brands, the Noodler's distributor, had one of each color inked and on display for people to write with. One thing that is taking so long is that Nathan is finishing each pen himself rather than relying on factory production. For the latest news about the release, follow @CarolLuxury on Twitter.

tiffanyhenschel
September 27th, 2014, 08:57 PM
The best part of pen shows is talking to people and looking at pens that you wouldn't get to see otherwise. Pen people are friendly and easy to talk to, and there is something for everyone.

Shawn Newton was there sharing a table with Vanness Pen from Arkansas. We brainstormed about a couple of fun ideas for the future. That level of thinking outside of the box is hard to do by email or even over the phone. I suppose Skype would work, but there's something about the energy of being face to face that you can't replicate digitally.

I picked up a new Edison for my collection, the Hudson. I've overlooked that model for years, and I'm not sure why. The more I use it, the more I like it.

I'm sure I am leaving out something important, but I'll come back to post some pictures tomorrow anyway. :)

I know there were others of you at the show, too. Tell us your stories!

sharmon202
September 28th, 2014, 07:45 AM
I tried the Neponset at the Dallas show also. I am hooked!

Silverbreeze
September 28th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I tried the Neponset at the Dallas show also. I am hooked!

I want one

No idea what I will do with it
But I want it

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2014, 09:38 AM
The Neponset music nib flexes with pressure, but it puts down a smooth, solid line for everyday use. Anyone who can write with a medium/broad tip should be able to write with the Neponset unflexed.

As a side note, Carol from Luxury Brands seemed especially eager to resolve issues with all of the pen models. They seem to be trying to fine tune the business side of the Noodler's brand.

sharmon202
September 28th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Dallas Pen show was quite fun and we learned a lot. Thanks to Tiffany H for meeting us and spending her time showing us around and especially to a couple of particular places. Nice to meet Caribbean-Skye. I also am grateful to Mr. Kearney @ The Write Stuff, I was looking for a particular Esterbrook J, he did not have that one but took time to walk me to a person that had it.
My haul: Pilot Stargazer Blue/Fine, Esterbrook J Root Beer 1551 nib (so very smooth), 3 dip pen handles, 3 dip pen nibs, Parker Vac w blue diamond, Sheaffer Lady Skripset, Loupe, Carters pen/pencil set in case, Akkerman shocking blue, Shin-Kai, Polish, Parker 61 NOS. One of my fav moments was trying the Noodler's Neponset, never touched a music nib before, loved it. Sure gonna do this again. Hope I posted pics as I was supposed to.
Picture #2--Baby tiger named Siren, we stopped at the GW Zoo, got to play with this baby tiger. This is a rescue place, not a for profit or community zoo. They take in abused animals, mostly tigers & lions. We stop every time we go thru on I-35 and give a good sized donation, money really goes to animals and not administration. Google it, it is a wonderful place. We have been many times. Once in a lifetime opportunity if you are in the area.

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Dallas Pen show was quite fun and we learned a lot. Thanks to Tiffany H for meeting us and spending her time showing us around and especially to a couple of particular places. Nice to meet Caribbean-Skye. I also am grateful to Mr. Kearney @ The Write Stuff, I was looking for a particular Esterbrook J, he did not have that one but took time to walk me to a person that had it.
My haul: Pilot Stargazer Blue/Fine, Esterbrook J Root Beer 1551 nib (so very smooth), 3 dip pen handles, 3 dip pen nibs, Parker Vac w blue diamond, Sheaffer Lady Skripset, Loupe, Carters pen/pencil set in case, Akkerman shocking blue, Shin-Kai, Polish, Parker 61 NOS. One of my fav moments was trying the Noodler's Neponset, never touched a music nib before, loved it. Sure gonna do this again. Hope I posted pics as I was supposed to.
Picture #2--Baby tiger named Siren, we stopped at the GW Zoo, got to play with this baby tiger. This is a rescue place, not a for profit or community zoo. They take in abused animals, mostly tigers & lions. We stop every time we go thru on I-35 and give a good sized donation, money really goes to animals and not administration. Google it, it is a wonderful place. We have been many times. Once in a lifetime opportunity if you are in the area.

Great job!! I'm so glad you had a good time. :)

Silverbreeze
September 28th, 2014, 04:12 PM

Write me about filling from That bottle. Am I right to want one

Aww Deadly Kitty :-)

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Those Akkerman bottles are quite likely the best engineered ink bottles of all time. They used to be available only from a shop in The Netherlands. Now a few people import bottles to sell at pen shows. Other than that, you can email Vanness Pens in Arkansas. They are allowed to sell them retail, but they can't actually list them on their site.

tiffanyhenschel
September 28th, 2014, 04:19 PM

I forgot to ask--did you end up getting your dip pens and holders from Pendemonium? ( The long table in the first room.) They are really great people. Check out their website!

sharmon202
September 28th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Yes, I got 3 pens and 3 nibs. Linda showed me where they were. Pendemonium were very nice, easy to deal with. Lot to choose from. Ummmm, noticed today I did not get any paper products. guess I was a bit overwhelmed to not see and act on that aspect. Not that I really need any anyway.............

caribbean_skye
September 28th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I had a FAB time in Dallas. Thanks for everything Tiffany, it was lovely to meet you SHarmon202 along with the various pen people I met and spoke to over the weekend.

I bought everything on my miniscule list and then some. Came home with no money but with memories and conversations (and email addresses) that are priceless.

Highlights of my trip apart from the people were (in no particular order): attending Mr. Sull's seminar, getting to play with the noodlers neponset nib, getting to see the Danitrio pens, seeing an urushi Edison Mina, random non-pen related conversations with fellow pen people, pre-ordering an oblique holder from Mr. Sull, finding some sailor apricot inks to buy and discovering new vintage pens to add to my must own list.

Show haul: dip nib holders (7), ink (5 bottles: OS Emily Dickinson, Akkerman Hofwartier Groen, Noodlers General of the Armies and Sailor Apricot), pens (2: vintage Eagle flex and Pilot Metropolitan) and paper (3 pads of Rhodia: reg, ice and R).