PDA

View Full Version : Ink question

JerryVK
September 25th, 2014, 08:33 AM
What Noodler's ink would be closest to the Cult Pens Deep Dark blue? I love the color of the latter, but I would prefer to purchase in the US and not worry about shipping costs and custom charges.

Thanks,
Jerry

Silverbreeze
September 25th, 2014, 08:41 AM
54th Mass I think

mhosea
September 25th, 2014, 09:08 AM
I don't know if 54th has enough blue. I once asked a colleague what color 54th was on the page, and he stared at it for awhile and came up with the answer "green". The blueness of 54th seems to be enhanced by the psychological expectation that the ink is actually blue. Absent that, the chroma is low enough that it's hard to decide what color it really is.

Unfortunately, I have never tried Cult Pens Deep Dark Blue. However, from the scans I found online, I'd suggest trying a samples of Diamine Midnight and Noodler's Midnight Blue. 2ml samples are available from gouletpens.com, 3ml samples for the same price from andersonpens.net and isellpens.com. Toss in a sample of 54th and anything else that strikes your fancy. Gouletpens has the best-quality scans of "swabs" by far for making rough comparisons of hue, though I still find that there is still no substitute for seeing, and using, an ink in person.

Laura N
September 25th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I have Deep Dark Blue. It is very close to Diamine Midnight. Nearly identical. If you keep in mind that Diamine makes the Deep Dark colors for Cultpens, I think that is far and way your best bet. It's also easily available in the U.S. and reasonably priced.

Not too far off, but not as close, are De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes and Sailor Kobe No. 38 (available on eBay from Japan).

Sorry I haven't used either suggested Noodler's. The 54th Massachusetts is pretty but I agree it's much greener than the Deep Dark Blue.

Silverbreeze
September 25th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Definitely try Noodler's Midnight Blue!!! I forgot about that color!!!!

mtnbiker62
September 25th, 2014, 02:02 PM
This doesn't answer your question about Noodler's inks, but it may give you a frame of reference for the Diamine Midnight/Cult Pens DD Blue question:

mhosea
September 25th, 2014, 02:17 PM
This doesn't answer your question about Noodler's inks, but it may give you a frame of reference for the Diamine Midnight/Cult Pens DD Blue question:

Is your Custom Heritage 91 just a wetter pen in general or is Deep Dark Blue that much wetter than the others? I forgot about Shin-Kai.

cwent2
September 25th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Noodlers blue black is close to deep dark blue

JerryVK
September 25th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Thank you everyone. Your comments are helpful.

- Jerry

mtnbiker62
September 25th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Is your Custom Heritage 91 just a wetter pen in general or is Deep Dark Blue that much wetter than the others? I forgot about Shin-Kai.

DD Blue is really wet, but that is the first ink that I've put through the 91, so it could be a combination of both.