PDA

View Full Version : Disassembling a Visconti Pininfarina? (nib alignment issue)

EclecticCollector
October 1st, 2014, 08:18 AM
I recently noticed that the nib unit on my Pininfarina was slightly loose, and discovered that in fact it wasn't screwed in fully. However, screwing it in fully leaves the nib rotated 90 degrees past center! I contacted my AD who informed me that in their experience the majority, if not all, pens they had seen were the same. They advised me to simply unscrew it until it was centered, and that this was normal.

So I got to thinking, what if I just took the pen apart and rotated the inner mechanism so that when fully screwed in, the nib was properly centered? But before I perform such radical surgery I figured I should check to see if anyone knew whether this was possible, or could offer any information on how this pen is assembled.

mhosea
October 1st, 2014, 08:51 AM
I cannot, and depending on the construction, it may be unwise. A reversible and less invasive approach might be available. Given that it is not screwed all the way in, it might be possible to shim it with a non-reactive washer cut from a sheet of polyethylene plastic (the kind that's used on reusable-but-cheap food containers like Gladware). You could sand it to "dial-it-in", and of course if one is not thick enough, they can be stacked. This is just to give you a solid "stop" for peace of mind.

EclecticCollector
October 1st, 2014, 10:36 AM
That is a great idea, the washer will need to be extremely thin though as the converter needs to be able to fit through it. Thank you!

dannzeman
October 1st, 2014, 05:11 PM
You could try wrapping the threads in teflon tape. That should tighten it up and keep it sealed.

EclecticCollector
October 1st, 2014, 07:16 PM
Also a good idea, and much easier to try out. Sealing isn't a concern as the converter fits inside the nib unit while the threads are on the outside. Much appreciated.

mhosea
October 1st, 2014, 07:49 PM
I would be reluctant to add expansion stress to the receptacle part. Teflon tape is usually discouraged by experts in pen repair and restoration.

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/193751-dont-be-teflon-taping-your-pens/

EclecticCollector
October 2nd, 2014, 01:01 AM
Mmm, that does sound bad. A somewhat mitigating factor is that both the male and female threads are stainless steel, however I think I'll continue researching other options for now. That FPN thread definitely gave me some new avenues to explore though. Thanks again!

Jeph
October 2nd, 2014, 01:25 AM
I admit that I do not know the whole story here, but if I had spent that much money on a pen there should be no reason for me to have to even think about fixing it myself. If it is "normal" then it is a design flaw.

mhosea
October 2nd, 2014, 05:55 AM
A somewhat mitigating factor is that both the male and female threads are stainless steel

I agree that this is a mitigating factor. OTOH, if it doesn't work well, removing the shredded Teflon...

Tracy Lee
October 2nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
Or you could just send it in to Coles of London and let them fix it (if in the US). They have great customer service as has been my own experience and cost is minimal to cover shipping.

EclecticCollector
October 2nd, 2014, 06:22 PM
If it is "normal" then it is a design flaw.
Oh, I absolutely agree. But, sadly, I have resigned myself to significantly lowering my standards when it comes to Visconti. And I say this as a huge fan of their pens; I suspect a bit of Stockholm Syndrome is at work.

Or you could just send it in to Coles of London and let them fix it (if in the US). They have great customer service as has been my own experience and cost is minimal to cover shipping.
I've actually already sent the pen back once, the first time due to extremely obvious manufacturing defects. This current pen is supposedly the result of them going through their entire stock and finding the best one. I fear being blamed for causing the issue and incurring their service fee on top of any other charges. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try calling to see whether they consider this normal or not.

Thanks all for your continued inputs.

ChrisC
October 3rd, 2014, 12:29 AM
Maybe its a thread alignment issue? Maybe do the trick of counterclockwise rotation until the threads "click" and try screwing in again from there? You can try it from various starting points. It may or may not be a single..route? thread? The kind that always goes in the same way.

EclecticCollector
October 3rd, 2014, 01:32 AM
I know what you mean - hopefully it's this simple! I'll have a look tomorrow.

GING GING
October 5th, 2014, 07:31 PM
I recently noticed that the nib unit on my Pininfarina was slightly loose, and discovered that in fact it wasn't screwed in fully. However, screwing it in fully leaves the nib rotated 90 degrees past center! I contacted my AD who informed me that in their experience the majority, if not all, pens they had seen were the same. They advised me to simply unscrew it until it was centered, and that this was normal.

So I got to thinking, what if I just took the pen apart and rotated the inner mechanism so that when fully screwed in, the nib was properly centered? But before I perform such radical surgery I figured I should check to see if anyone knew whether this was possible, or could offer any information on how this pen is assembled.
You better raise pure hell with them. If the nib doesnt line up then they got some fixing to do Be polite but firm and dont take no for an answer

GING GING
October 5th, 2014, 07:42 PM

You better raise pure hell with them. If the nib doesnt line up then they got some fixing to do Be polite but firm and dont take no for an answer
Did you buy directly from visconti? If so then i can see them battling you tooth and toe nail. my heart goes out to ya

EclecticCollector
October 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I purchased it from an authorized dealer who told me that it was, if not normal, at least common, and to simply unscrew it slightly to align it.

GING GING
October 29th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Hey Eclectic Collector. Here's another idea. If you can explain your problem through pics or video contact Ed Fingerman at Fountain pen hospital. You can even send him the pen to look at. He will steer you right. If he fixes it he'll likely charge you. If not he'll send it back to you free of charge.

GING GING
October 29th, 2014, 11:13 PM
Hey Eclectic Collector. Here's another idea. If you can explain your problem through pics or video contact Ed Fingerman at Fountain pen hospital. You can even send him the pen to look at. He will steer you right. If he fixes it he'll likely charge you. If not he'll send it back to you free of charge.

I just read some of your posts again. Unless you are very mechanically inclined don't try taking this thing apart apart. If your seller won't fix it for you then I would imagine that they can't. Ed might refer you to Coles of London. They have a shop in N.C. Their phone number is (561) 620-3022 for what ever it's worth, the threads are stripped

Farmboy
October 30th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Eclectic-

No need to raise anything on this. Bring me the pen at a Pen Posse, I want to see it.

From what I know of these, it is designed so that the nib can be rotated to alignment and not leak.

There is a simple and reversible solution to hold the nib in place radially if one really wants to do so.

AltecGreen
October 30th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Eclectic-

No need to raise anything on this. Bring me the pen at a Pen Posse, I want to see it.

From what I know of these, it is designed so that the nib can be rotated to alignment and not leak.

There is a simple and reversible solution to hold the nib in place radially if one really wants to do so.

Shall I call the Posse?

Farmboy
October 30th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Eclectic-

Shall I call the Posse?

I think so. Bring the air brushed pen as well. Dual Posse if you will.

EclecticCollector
November 3rd, 2014, 02:36 PM
Eclectic-

Yes, my AD also told me that the nib unit is designed this way, and since the converter slots into the back of the nib unit itself I don't worry about it leaking. It just seems to rotate a little too easily for my liking. I will definitely try to make it up to a Posse, assuming I can convince my wife to fly solo with the baby for a few hours. ;) Thanks for jumping into the thread, definitely appreciate the offer of help!

Would the "simple and reversible solution" happen to involve Loctite? :D

Farmboy
November 3rd, 2014, 09:56 PM
Eclectic-

Yes, my AD also told me that the nib unit is designed this way, and since the converter slots into the back of the nib unit itself I don't worry about it leaking. It just seems to rotate a little too easily for my liking. I will definitely try to make it up to a Posse, assuming I can convince my wife to fly solo with the baby for a few hours. ;) Thanks for jumping into the thread, definitely appreciate the offer of help!

Would the "simple and reversible solution" happen to involve Loctite? :D

Bring the baby. Farmkid went to his first Posse when he was all of month old. Bring the boss too. Moms and Dads need to get out and everyone likes babies. We can make everyone be quiet and talk softly OR we can give Eclectibaby an Esterbrook to resac (or drool on.)

Most important, Boy/Girl, Age, etc.

EclecticCollector
November 4th, 2014, 06:49 AM
Bring the baby. Farmkid went to his first Posse when he was all of month old. Bring the boss too. Moms and Dads need to get out and everyone likes babies. We can make everyone be quiet and talk softly OR we can give Eclectibaby an Esterbrook to resac (or drool on.)

Most important, Boy/Girl, Age, etc.

HAHAHA ok, I will run that idea by the boss. :) M/5mo/very cute according to multiple sources, but I don't discount the possibility of bias and/or white lies.

GING GING
November 15th, 2014, 02:52 PM
I'm curious if you called Coles of London, yet. They are an authorized visconti repair service. Listen to Farmboy. What do I know, I only own one of them. I'm out of it now. Do what what you want.