PDA

View Full Version : Nib customization question

Silverbreeze
October 2nd, 2014, 01:16 PM
Out of curiosity is it possible to customize nibs like a Lamy 2000 hooded or a Visconti typhoon cylinder nib??

Jeph
October 2nd, 2014, 01:54 PM
I know I read somewhere that there are some established nibmeisters that will not touch a Lamy 2000 nib. I do not know why.
But I suspect that anything is possible.
As fas as the Visconti nib goes, it looks eerily similar to the old Sheaffer triumph nibs and plenty of people work on those with no problems.

Disclaimer: I really don't know.

fpquest
October 2nd, 2014, 01:59 PM
I had my Lamy 2000 fine nib tuned by Mike Masuyama. Not customized, just smoothed and adjusted. But I'm sure he'd have ground it if I had wanted. I've also had a couple Sheaffer Triumph nibs worked on without a problem (Jeph mention it was like the Visconti cylinder nib).

Silverbreeze
October 2nd, 2014, 03:00 PM
I can confirm the nib style is very similar to to the snorkel triumph to the Visconti Typhoon at least
Visconti even admits the inspiration in the documents

tandaina
October 2nd, 2014, 03:34 PM
Of course. When customizing a nib (italic grind, oblique, stub) the tip of the nib is the only place changed.

Now if you were talking about adding flex or adding notches to the sides to increase flex that's different. My Lamy 2000 nib was ground by Pendleton Brown, only the iridium tipping was changed doesn't matter if hte nib is hooded or not.

manoeuver
October 2nd, 2014, 03:46 PM
I also have a Pendleton-cut 2000. It's awesome.

Laura N
October 2nd, 2014, 03:56 PM
Compared to a Parker 51, the Lamy 2000 nib isn't even that hooded. And I have a few Parker 51s that Pendleton stubbed. Also awesome. :)

GING GING
October 4th, 2014, 02:53 PM
I would guess if the nib can come off it can be customized. I have the typhoon but I've never tried to disassemble it. I'm pretty good at breaking parker 51s. Maybe I'll try and take apart my typhoon. Not really.

tandaina
October 4th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Doesn't even have to come off. When I've had my nibs ground at pen shows the nibmiesters always grind them inked and installed. Grind, test, grind, test, grind test.

Silverbreeze
October 4th, 2014, 10:32 PM
I would guess if the nib can come off it can be customized. I have the typhoon but I've never tried to disassemble it. I'm pretty good at breaking parker 51s. Maybe I'll try and take apart my typhoon. Not really.

Typhoon nibs unscrew just like every Visconti and Edison I own

Tracy Lee
October 5th, 2014, 04:26 PM

Typhoon nibs unscrew just like every Visconti and Edison I own

Yes, and the feed slides right out of the nib so clean up is so fast and easy.

GING GING
October 5th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Thanx Tracy. I'm gonna give that a shot. My typhoon doesn't need cleaning, I just want to take it apart