PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Pre-1990 144 Sterling (Pinstripe)

DimensionalDifficulties
October 2nd, 2014, 04:03 PM
This was a pen I bought a while ago at a garage sale. http://imgur.com/a/fB93S#0 Unfortunately, I must have spent all my good luck on finding it because a few months later the container I was keeping it in opened up spontaneously and the pen fell onto concrete, putting several scratches into it. I made the mistake of sending it to Montblanc for repairs, but of course they don't actually repair anything there, and replaced all the scratched parts with modern replacements. Now I'm looking for a pen that was like the one I had. The differences with the post-1990 version are that the middle golden band around the cap does not have the word Pix on it, the golden band closest to the opening on the cap has a sharp angle instead of being more rounded, and the clip has the words W. GERMANY stamped into it. Is there any chance I'll ever find one of these for sale again? Does anyone know where I could look?

This one's pretty close, but do ballpoint pen caps fit on the fountain pen version? http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a3d97a390

Chrissy
October 9th, 2014, 04:11 PM
Since you still have a Meisterstuck pinstripe silver solitaire 144 that just happens to have Pix on it's cap, and Germany instead of W.Germany on it's clip, why not consider getting a completely different version for your next pen rather than having 2 that would be more or less identical bar a few minute details?

You could try to find a 145 or a 146 instead, or you could go for a silver barley, or GP vermeil, rather than pinstripe, then you would have 2 completely different experiences rather than 2 pens that are almost exactly the same. Those differences are minimal, and as Mb have virtually set you up with an 'as new' pen for the price of a service, you now have the opportunity to try something else.

mmahany
October 10th, 2014, 03:23 PM
Since you still have a Meisterstuck pinstripe silver solitaire 144 that just happens to have Pix on it's cap, and Germany instead of W.Germany on it's clip, why not consider getting a completely different version for your next pen rather than having 2 that would be more or less identical bar a few minute details?

You could try to find a 145 or a 146 instead, or you could go for a silver barley, or GP vermeil, rather than pinstripe, then you would have 2 completely different experiences rather than 2 pens that are almost exactly the same. Those differences are minimal, and as Mb have virtually set you up with an 'as new' pen for the price of a service, you now have the opportunity to try something else.

I know you meant well with your response, but if you think about it, this forum wouldn't exist if people gave up and simply bought new pens. This forum is all about collecting, restoring, and searching for the pens we love. I too mean well with that statement and I hope you won't take offense.

In this case, I'm not going to question what he wants. However, what I'm about to say, may cause him to strongly consider your advice.

Yes, there is a chance you'll find another one and yes, I know where to look. Unfortunately, they're very hard to find, and you're ultimately going to have to pay if you want to find another one in this lifetime.

I own the ballpoint (164) and rollerball (163) versions of the pen you're speaking of. I also used to own the very pen in question (144 fountain).

While I certainly didn't pay "garage sale" prices, I did get that at a fraction of their fair market value. While I generally prefer not to mention how much I paid, I sold the 144 about a year ago for $1200 on ebay. The pen was "new old stock" including the box and all paperwork.

The fair market for these pens is very steep. A damaged pinstripe 144 will still fetch every bit of $200. A good used speciment will often sell for at least $400 and the sky is the limit if you have one that is brand new.

Short answer, if you're willing to spend at least $400, check ebay every couple of days and you'll find one in no time. If your goal is to spend much less than that, best of luck.