PDA

View Full Version : Ink Stand

rberg6868
October 3rd, 2014, 07:35 PM
A little while back I made a walnut block to store pens http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/6906-Inspired-By-Dudek?p=78545#post78545 I have all of this ink and many of the bottles are so beautiful so I decided to make a little shelf/stand to display them on my desk.

I chose to use walnut again so that these two things would go together. The whole thing is carved out of a single block of walnut except for the shelf at the very bottom that sticks out.

I used a router in a table to hog out the majority of the wood for the shelves then finished up the corners with chisels. As more and more wood was removed it became more difficult to hold the wood level over the spinning router bit and the block dipped into the bit cutting away a bit of the shelf on the left side.

I decided not to discard the piece as it was a fairly expensive chunk of wood and you really can’t tell once it is loaded up with ink. I am really happy with it. I think the ink looks very nice, displayed on my desk and its all nicely within reach. With some judicious arranging I have even been able to add some more bottles to my collection since I took these photos.

How do you folks store/display your ink?

Bdez
October 3rd, 2014, 08:09 PM
How cool is that ! I need one.

The only design suggestion I have is to see if you can somehow put a little rail or a lip all the way around the oustide to stop bottles slipping off - i think about 1/2 inch or around 1 cm high ? Dont know how hard that is to do ? Maybe a circular brass rod instead??????

Quite impressed though !

earthdawn
October 3rd, 2014, 08:16 PM
Awesome work !!

looks great and holds a lot of ink.

really nice

Lady Onogaro
October 3rd, 2014, 08:26 PM
I like it. I keep mine in a couple of little cabinets I bought at a second-hand store, but your ink stand has character.

Crazyorange
October 4th, 2014, 05:24 AM
Great idea. Ink bottles should be displayed and you made a perfect way of doing so. Congrats.

chojo
October 4th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Nothing as cool as that for me there're just sat on the bookcase next to my desk but i am looking for a better way to display them. Just wish i was handy with carpentry like you!

rberg6868
October 4th, 2014, 05:04 PM
How cool is that ! I need one.

The only design suggestion I have is to see if you can somehow put a little rail or a lip all the way around the oustide to stop bottles slipping off - i think about 1/2 inch or around 1 cm high ? Dont know how hard that is to do ? Maybe a circular brass rod instead??????

Quite impressed though !

Aesthetically I wanted something really solid and block like, with simple lines so I decided not to add a rail. It also would have reduced the space that I had and some of the bottles extend right to the edge. So far nothing has fallen off but there are no small children in the house on a regular basis.

rberg6868
October 4th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Nothing as cool as that for me there're just sat on the bookcase next to my desk but i am looking for a better way to display them. Just wish i was handy with carpentry like you!

If you're interested start with something small and keep moving up. I love the feeling of having something useful where there used to be just a block of wood. The pen cup in your photo, is that made out of real book spines? It is very interesting.

chojo
October 5th, 2014, 05:58 AM

If you're interested start with something small and keep moving up. I love the feeling of having something useful where there used to be just a block of wood. The pen cup in your photo, is that made out of real book spines? It is very interesting.

No not real books it's just moulded plastic I found it on ebay. It gave me the idea of making one from real books but I haven't the heart to damage real ones i love them so much, My book shelves are the only thing that will always be more important to me than my pens.

rberg6868
October 5th, 2014, 09:08 PM

No not real books it's just moulded plastic I found it on ebay. It gave me the idea of making one from real books but I haven't the heart to damage real ones i love them so much, My book shelves are the only thing that will always be more important to me than my pens.

I hear you on the books issue. When I saw your pen cup I was thinking about digging through some second hand book stores for an old encyclopedia or anthology set that I wouldn't mind converting into a pen cup

MY63
October 6th, 2014, 12:36 AM
Nice work it would have been difficult to make.

chojo
October 6th, 2014, 05:37 AM

I hear you on the books issue. When I saw your pen cup I was thinking about digging through some second hand book stores for an old encyclopedia or anthology set that I wouldn't mind converting into a pen cup

I thought about that too, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I have however thought that there is no reason why I couldn't make some book spine replicas from card and use those! Now all I have to do is get round doing to it, along with the other countless jobs on my to do list.

Holsworth
October 7th, 2014, 12:07 AM

I thought about that too, but I just can't bring myself to do it, I have however thought that there is no reason why I couldn't make some book spine replicas from card and use those! Now all I have to do is get round doing to it, along with the other countless jobs on my to do list.

It might be worth checking with charity shops and asking what they have in their scrap pile. The bf started volunteering in an oxfam bookshop recently, and as a result our house is quickly filling with old, beautiful books that just don't sell that would otherwise be destroyed (he has been assured that after a few months working there you get over it. I have suggested we need a trip to ikea for another bookcase!)

chojo
October 7th, 2014, 12:24 AM
Wow, working in a book shop talk about a dream job! I'm going into town tomorrow anyway so I'll pop in and ask. I suppose if they're destined for the bin anyway I might just be able to cope with the thought of hurting them. Thanks for that.

Holsworth
October 7th, 2014, 03:08 AM
Wow, working in a book shop talk about a dream job! I'm going into town tomorrow anyway so I'll pop in and ask. I suppose if they're destined for the bin anyway I might just be able to cope with the thought of hurting them. Thanks for that.

The dream would be if he got paid for it ;-)

chojo
October 7th, 2014, 11:54 AM

The dream would be if he got paid for it ;-)

I know it doesn't pay the bills but kudos to him for helping a worthy cause.:clap2:

GING GING
October 12th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Not very fancy

Crazyorange
October 12th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Not very fancy

Thats my stand as well. Nothing like a good old box to store ink in.