PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Outback Australia

outbackpengeek
July 7th, 2012, 01:32 AM
Hi all,

It seems my story is very similar to many here...recently I 'discovered' fountain pens, and now it's rapidly become an addiction. I love mechanical watches, and saw a photo of one with a Pilot MYU, and just had to have one. Seeing the cartridge awoke memories as a young kid pressing one into a pen, so I guess I'm old enough to have used a fountain pen at school, even though I don't remember it. So far I've accumulated a Pilot M90 and Murex (after seeing the MYU), a Vanishing Point (what a wonderful pen, if I was being sensible I would have stopped there), a Parker 51 and Vacumatic, and I have a few more pens on the way.

It was so great to discover this community and of course the podcast, and other resources like FPN...thanks for having me!

writingrav
July 7th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Welcome. Good to have you on board.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fountainpenkid
July 7th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Welcome!

KrazyIvan
July 7th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Welcome to the dark side.

manoeuver
July 7th, 2012, 01:56 PM
my car is an outback. welcome and please post photos of your pilots!

Maja
July 7th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Welcome to FPGeeks! :D

What part of Australia are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
I know there will be a pen show in Melbourne in November 2012: http://www.melbpenshow.com.au/

Very nice collection you have---great choices of both new and vintage pens! I bought my Pilot M90 while in Japan four years ago and they have gone up in price a lot since then (only 9000 made, I believe). The Murex pens have also been climbing steadily; that's another pen on my (endless, it seems!) Wish List.

outbackpengeek
July 7th, 2012, 08:08 PM
my car is an outback. welcome and please post photos of your pilots!
Thanks :) Here are some iPhone photos of unboxing my M90 (http://imgur.com/a/ClE9o#0). I really need to break out the actual camera and take some more.

outbackpengeek
July 7th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Welcome to FPGeeks! :D

What part of Australia are you from, if you don't mind me asking?
I know there will be a pen show in Melbourne in November 2012: http://www.melbpenshow.com.au/

Very nice collection you have---great choices of both new and vintage pens! I bought my Pilot M90 while in Japan four years ago and they have gone up in price a lot since then (only 9000 made, I believe). The Murex pens have also been climbing steadily; that's another pen on my (endless, it seems!) Wish List.

Thank you :) I'm from Alice Springs, hence the 'outback'. Thanks for the info about the Melbourne pen show, I'd love to go! In the mail I have a Montblanc 22, a Lamy Dialog 3, a Lamy Safari and a Lamy 2000. And I'm bidding on a Sheaffer PFM V. I've received a few raised eyebrows from my wife, but I say 'it's ok darl, they're only pens!' :D

JustDaveyB
July 7th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thank you :) I'm from Alice Springs, hence the 'outback'. Thanks for the info about the Melbourne pen show, I'd love to go! In the mail I have a Montblanc 22, a Lamy Dialog 3, a Lamy Safari and a Lamy 2000. And I'm bidding on a Sheaffer PFM V. I've received a few raised eyebrows from my wife, but I say 'it's ok darl, they're only pens!' :D

Alice Springs is pretty much as outback as you can get!! A long, long way from any bricks and mortar pen shop!! Raised eyebrows from my wife is pretty common for me, so is the phrase "Do you really need another fountain pen..."

KrazyIvan
July 7th, 2012, 11:07 PM
The M90 is beautiful!

Maja
July 8th, 2012, 04:59 PM

:thumb:
Wow, Alice Springs isn't close to Melbourne....but I hope you can make it to their pen show....
Nice M90 unboxing photos! What date code is your particular pen? (it's stamped on the back of the section, near the tiny square hole). Mine is 808 = August 2008 (I bought the pen in Tokyo that very month! :D )

Bogon07
July 8th, 2012, 05:29 PM
Outbackpengeek,
A belated hello and welcome.

I see you are off to a good start for your Lamy collection with a Lamy Dialog 3, a Lamy Safari and a Lamy 2000.
You should atleast mention the colour of the Safari.

Hanging around these forums you should also expect to see your ink and notepad/journal collections to expand.

outbackpengeek
July 9th, 2012, 05:34 AM
Outbackpengeek,
A belated hello and welcome.

I see you are off to a good start for your Lamy collection with a Lamy Dialog 3, a Lamy Safari and a Lamy 2000.
You should atleast mention the colour of the Safari.

Hanging around these forums you should also expect to see your ink and notepad/journal collections to expand.

Thank you :) The Safari is the 2012 limited edition 'Apple Green'...I found the colour to be irresistible. I'm thinking about buying a black one as well to keep some waterproof black ink in...I'm new to all of this, and sent my entry to the fpgeeks Franklin-Christophe contest in on a postcard with washable ink. Hopefully it doesn't rain on the postman.

Bogon07
July 9th, 2012, 04:29 PM
The Safari is the 2012 limited edition 'Apple Green'...I found the colour to be irresistible. I'm thinking about buying a black one as well to keep some waterproof black ink in...

When I saw that particular tone of green I could not wait to get one...it is so appealing (sorry about that).

A gloss Black will make Krazy Ivan happy, it is like a cloned Darth Vader in pen form.
I can also recommend a look at the Charcoal or matt black. The textured surface make it a standout in the Safari line and they come with black nibs.

outbackpengeek
July 9th, 2012, 07:08 PM
:thumb:
Wow, Alice Springs isn't close to Melbourne....but I hope you can make it to their pen show....
Nice M90 unboxing photos! What date code is your particular pen? (it's stamped on the back of the section, near the tiny square hole). Mine is 808 = August 2008 (I bought the pen in Tokyo that very month! :D )

Clearly I need to add a loupe to my fountain pen tools...I can't for the life of me read that tiny, shiny little number :) I *can* see the two big scratches I put near it though by trying to use my phone camera and hitting it :cry:

Maja
July 10th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Clearly I need to add a loupe to my fountain pen tools...I can't for the life of me read that tiny, shiny little number :) I *can* see the two big scratches I put near it though by trying to use my phone camera and hitting it :cry:
Oh I hear you....I'm near-sighted and my close-up vision (when I wear my contact lenses) has definitely changed in the last couple of years. Apparently, this is something that happens to people as they enter their 40s ;)

jfsisler
July 10th, 2012, 07:22 AM
:welcome: Hi! Welcome to our obsession:D Hope to see you around a lot:)