PDA

View Full Version : How to Contact Ebay

Cob
October 4th, 2014, 01:47 AM
Does anybody have a telephone number for ebay?

A few weeks ago one went to the help and contact age and one could have ebay call.

This has disappeared and now I just go round and round a load of useless pages. Please help me before the computer goes out the window.

I have had problems with two dishonourable - perhaps crooked - sellers.

Thanks in advance

Cob

Quantum Sailor
October 4th, 2014, 02:25 AM
I believe you have to email them first now and if they feel like it they call you. I think you go through the contact us -> report seller, then choose the appropriate reason and send an email. That's what i had to do and they started an investigation after a few days.

Cob
October 4th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Thanks but that isn't what I am looking for.

A couple of weeks ago, one got the option of telephoning them - or in fact they would telephone you. That option no longer appears - and there is no way to email them either. I have been round and round and round and round the report/complaint procedure and am now grinding my teeth with rage and frustration.

Cob

Quantum Sailor
October 4th, 2014, 02:35 AM
Sorry I couldn't be of more help, I was looking through the site and I'm at a loss as well.

Crazyorange
October 4th, 2014, 05:18 AM
You've probably done this......Google phone number for ebay. You may find it on other websites. I had a similar problem for another website. Googled it and found it on yahoo answers.

Chrissy
October 4th, 2014, 03:58 PM
Cob, I have just seen this thread. Sorry, but I'm ill and have only been on my PC for a couple of short stints

I have a freephone telephone number for ebay.co.uk. Please email me for it. You have my email addy.

swiss
October 5th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Hi I'm new on here but I thought I'd help , you need to online instant chat them , then don't do many emails these days and it's slow , online chat is quick and works a treat . Google online chat ebay and a few links come up . I've done this a few times and it works well , also open a case in ebay , they will almost certainly refund you through paypal.

gregamckinney
October 5th, 2014, 02:13 PM
I've found the GetHuman site to be a great place to find direct ways of contacting companies, including eBay:
http://gethuman.com/phone-number/eBay/

greg

Chrissy
October 5th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Does anybody have a telephone number for ebay?

A few weeks ago one went to the help and contact age and one could have ebay call.

This has disappeared and now I just go round and round a load of useless pages. Please help me before the computer goes out the window.

I have had problems with two dishonourable - perhaps crooked - sellers.

Thanks in advance

Cob

I hope that you get your 2 sellers sorted out soon Cob. If I can be of any further help please let me know. I have learned quite a bit about ebay over the years.

I know what it feels like to consider throwing a computer out of the window. I had so much trouble with my laptop while I was in the US that I was actually hoping they would keep it at security when we left Miami.:laser:

Sadly, I've still got the darn thing. :boom:

KBeezie
October 5th, 2014, 04:38 PM
They have phone numbers if you go to the help/support and click on contact ebay on the right side. They do not have email/message system directly to them which I would have prefered because I can't use the phone. But the phone number will show if you're logged in.

Also eBay customer service # is 1 (866) 540-3229

But they give you a sort of referral code if you do it from the site so that they have account verification.

Chrissy
October 6th, 2014, 03:37 AM
KBeezie, ebay UK is quite different to ebay.com as far as making contact is concerned. We do still have to go through the referral code though.

KBeezie
October 9th, 2014, 11:01 PM
KBeezie, ebay UK is quite different to ebay.com as far as making contact is concerned. We do still have to go through the referral code though.

Seems no matter where you go they make it difficult. They could save quite a bit of money just using chat/email support rather than forcing for phone calls or whatever it is in your region. I prefer email support, there's a record of the conversations on both ends.

Cob
October 10th, 2014, 01:58 AM
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I got through to ebay yesterday and I think that things will be OK. I did not need a referral code.

I have posted negative feedback for the two disgraceful sellers that I was unfortunate enough to deal with. I rarely post negative feedback, believing that sellers can, like the rest of us, make mistakes and should first be given the opportunity to put things right. However when they refuse to communicate - and lie to ebay - that's another matter.

In fact I think that it is unacceptable that sellers can state "no returns accepted."

Anyway, end of rant - thanks to everyone.

Cob

Chrissy
October 10th, 2014, 03:24 AM
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I got through to ebay yesterday and I think that things will be OK. I did not need a referral code.

I have posted negative feedback for the two disgraceful sellers that I was unfortunate enough to deal with. I rarely post negative feedback, believing that sellers can, like the rest of us, make mistakes and should first be given the opportunity to put things right. However when they refuse to communicate - and lie to ebay - that's another matter.

In fact I think that it is unacceptable that sellers can state "no returns accepted."

Cob

I'm pleased that you sorted it out, and hope you didn't lose any money because of this problem.

So far as 'no returns' goes, unfortunately some sellers do put it on their listings. However it's meaningless, because all sellers on ebay (UK at least) must accept returns within 14 days. That 14 days is the latest minimum that went up from 7 days a few months ago. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way to report sellers who insist on putting 'no returns' on their listings. It's just best to ignore it altogether. ebay still take refund monies to buyers out of their PayPal accounts, whether they want the goods back or not.

ainterne
October 10th, 2014, 05:41 AM

Cob

Hi, I would like to know who the sellers are? I buy off Ebay and I don't want to run into them... Can you share, at least with me via mail here? I do understand why some of them don't want to take returns...it's because a lot of people have started just buying to take a look at something and try it, and they have no intention of keeping it from the start. I know that does not make sense because of the postage, but it's like someone buying a small back dress and returning it back after the night out they went on. It's not happened to me, but I am very scared that it might if I sell things on there.... so I have steered away. I only buy pens from people that show very clear pictures or video's of the pens they are selling, otherwise no deal. However I share you pain and frustration as the business world hides behind the internet and won't talk to customers.

Cob
October 11th, 2014, 01:54 AM

Cob

Hi, I would like to know who the sellers are? I buy off Ebay and I don't want to run into them... Can you share, at least with me via mail here? I do understand why some of them don't want to take returns...it's because a lot of people have started just buying to take a look at something and try it, and they have no intention of keeping it from the start. I know that does not make sense because of the postage, but it's like someone buying a small back dress and returning it back after the night out they went on. It's not happened to me, but I am very scared that it might if I sell things on there.... so I have steered away. I only buy pens from people that show very clear pictures or video's of the pens they are selling, otherwise no deal. However I share you pain and frustration as the business world hides behind the internet and won't talk to customers.

Please check your PMs

As for the "no returns" mob, why is it that they often have the interesting pens? I take your point about time-wasting customers, but all the same, I don't claim to be perfect and accept returns; so should they. I have had one pen returned to me of about I suppose 40-odd I have sold - and that was my mistake; I gave the buyer a refund without question.

Cob

mmahany
October 11th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Please check your PMs

As for the "no returns" mob, why is it that they often have the interesting pens? I take your point about time-wasting customers, but all the same, I don't claim to be perfect and accept returns; so should they. I have had one pen returned to me of about I suppose 40-odd I have sold - and that was my mistake; I gave the buyer a refund without question.

Cob

Although taken out of context, I agree with one thing you said "I don't claim to be perfect and accept returns."

I am certainly not perfect as well, and when I make the occasional mistake, I resolve it at my own expense.

Where we differ in opinion is when that mistake isn't made by me.

Why should I pay for someone else's mistake?

I am absolutely one of those eBay sellers that always has "No returns accepted" on every one of my seller listings. I also include a disclaimer in every listing that states "unless the item was not accurately described."

Even though I choose to include that disclaimer, it's redundant. Ebay policy protects buyers from sellers who do not accurately describe items. Otherwise, sellers would always put "no returns accepted" and get away with selling broken/damaged items.

I believe that other people's time is valuable which is why I take that into consideration when resolving one of my own mistaks. However, my time is certainly valuable as well. I refuse to absorb the cost of someone else's mistake that's outside of my control.

While rare, I have absolutely handled situations where someone had buyer's remorse and asked for a return. However, I never absorb any cost in those situations. When I issue a refund, all shipping costs are absorbed by the buyer. In addition, my time, and my opportunity costs are also absorbed by the buyer as well. I refuse to ignore the last two costs while I wait 1-2 weeks for a buyer to send me a pen back that will need to be relisted.

Of note: not of that is meant to be cruel in the least. However, in the end, it's a business transaction. I excercise empathy in some cases, but in the end, when a buyer/seller fails to deliver on their transactional obligations, they should find ways to resolve those failures, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE.

Deb
October 11th, 2014, 02:09 PM
I'm no longer an eBay seller but I still buy a lot of pens there. I've always ignored the "no returns" thing as eBay has always forced sellers to take pens back when they are not as described. Until recently, eBay said that buyers had to bear the cost of returning pens but now that has thankfully changed. Not that it makes all that much difference to me; I always insisted on getting my postage back and I got it or the seller got a negative. Why should I bear the cost of returning pens with faults that were concealed or at least not described?

I think the latest update of the rules may reduce the number of pens being offered for sale with serious faults that were not mentioned. Offering pens for sale as " spares or repair" or "sold as seen" is no excuse. Sellers should describe pens fully with all their faults, and now those who don't are penalised by having to pay the postage for the pens to be returned to them, which is entirely as it should be.

Cob
October 11th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Please check your PMs

Cob

Although taken out of context, I agree with one thing you said "I don't claim to be perfect and accept returns."

I am certainly not perfect as well, and when I make the occasional mistake, I resolve it at my own expense.

Where we differ in opinion is when that mistake isn't made by me.

Why should I pay for someone else's mistake?

I am absolutely one of those eBay sellers that always has "No returns accepted" on every one of my seller listings. I also include a disclaimer in every listing that states "unless the item was not accurately described."

Even though I choose to include that disclaimer, it's redundant. Ebay policy protects buyers from sellers who do not accurately describe items. Otherwise, sellers would always put "no returns accepted" and get away with selling broken/damaged items.

I believe that other people's time is valuable which is why I take that into consideration when resolving one of my own mistaks. However, my time is certainly valuable as well. I refuse to absorb the cost of someone else's mistake that's outside of my control.

While rare, I have absolutely handled situations where someone had buyer's remorse and asked for a return. However, I never absorb any cost in those situations. When I issue a refund, all shipping costs are absorbed by the buyer. In addition, my time, and my opportunity costs are also absorbed by the buyer as well. I refuse to ignore the last two costs while I wait 1-2 weeks for a buyer to send me a pen back that will need to be relisted.

Of note: not of that is meant to be cruel in the least. However, in the end, it's a business transaction. I excercise empathy in some cases, but in the end, when a buyer/seller fails to deliver on their transactional obligations, they should find ways to resolve those failures, AT THEIR OWN EXPENSE.

You wrote: "Why should I pay for someone's mistake?"

Quite so, and of course this is what prompted my outcry, although in these instances, it was not, in my view a mistake; it was either gross carelessness or maybe even malfeasance.

If an item is described as "excellent" then it must be excellent. And if it is described as "Good condition" then it must have no serious defects. I am sure you'll agree with these points.

Perhaps I am naïve, but I believe that every effort must be made to engender trust, hence the offer of a 14-day return; this is why I am not rich and, sadly I suppose, never will be!

Cob

Chrissy
October 11th, 2014, 05:50 PM

This highlights many of the differences between distance selling and face to face selling.

Buyers may not have remorse per se, but they may receive something that was unexpected. Many sellers don't supply all of the detailed information necessary for buyers to make an informed choice. Many sellers don't do this on purpose or with malice, but maybe they just don't know enough about an item they are selling

IMHO, the actions that you suggest you take in your second last paragraph are very risky, bearing in mind that buyers can leave negative feedback and poor seller rating stars, that now have so much influence on your ebay selling reputation.

I used to be a power seller, and yes I have had buyers who have wanted to return items just because of buyers remorse. The reasons why I took back those items and gave full refunds were to keep my selling reputation as perfect as it is now. Did I want to risk my reputation for the sake of a few £££? No I definitely did not. I would never even consider saying to a buyer that not only would they bear the costs of all P&P both ways, but they also had to pay for my time and opportunity costs (I don't even know what they are. I assume you mean ebay fees which are refundable anyway)

It all depends on how valuable you consider your ebay selling account to be. If sellers are prepared to risk receiving bad ratings and 30 day automatic suspensions then maybe they can afford to take the same stance that you adopt. Some sellers don't want to take that risk and choose an easier route.

I also wouldn't risk putting 'no returns' on any of my listings, because I know it's against the rules. However, I know that many sellers do it anyway. The failures of buyers/sellers isn't always completely black or white. There are many grey areas in between.