PDA

View Full Version : Next Pen: Platinum President or Sailor 1911L

set2374
October 6th, 2014, 12:31 PM
I just posted a short review on the Platinum 3776 Century, which is a great pen for the money. While I love the nib on the Century, the quality of the materials leaves me a bit underwhelmed. I would like to get the same or better performance from a pen that is also a meaningful step up in material/build quality. I have been doing my homework and I have read almost universally good reviews for the Sailor 1911L. I actually tried to find a bad review for this pen--good luck with that! At the same time, I am also very interested in the Platinum President. There are a couple of reviews out there, but this pens seem to get very little attention in the forums. I found one or two reviews on youtube, but none of them are "expert" reviews from anyone that anyone I have come to trust. Nevertheless, both pens seem to compete head-to-head in price, size and features, so I am having a tough time deciding which to purchase. I will be buying either pen in a standard configuration--black with gold trim and a medium nib (I know it's a bit boring, but this is going to be my everyday carry that has to be classy, work reliably and NOT be too flashy). Anyone that has used/owned these two pens, please share your opinions. Thanks.

rafapa
October 6th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I don't own the 1911L but I own the Pro Gear which has the same 21K nib. The Sailor is wetter than the Platinum (both B). Also something missing in the President is the antidry system found in the #3776. In my opinion the materials of the Sailor seems higher quality than the Platinum one.
Hope this help

set2374
October 6th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Thanks! I would thing the President would have better resins and construction than the 3776 given the significant price difference.