PDA

View Full Version : Her Love // Poetry (If You Can Call it That)

heymatthew
October 8th, 2014, 12:24 PM
An excerpt from a blog post I wrote recently:

On February 1, God’s need for my mother became greater than our own and she lost her 4-month battle with cancer. She loved Crepe Myrtles, and I can’t ever remember living in a home without at least one in the yard. So, it only seemed fitting that the home she helped my wife and me buy, have a Crepe Myrtle in the yard. It started blooming this week, and it’s such a brilliant shade of fuchsia. I know that my mom is watching over us and I like to think that her light continues to shine on through us.

In a brilliant shade of fuchsia.

After losing my mother, I was presented with the arduous tasks that accompany the passing of a loved one. Insurance paperwork, funeral arrangements, food, family, friends. It was all quite overwhelming for me. I don't know that I ever really had the opportunity to grieve properly, but one day, I don't even know what day, I was in the backyard, feeling rather despondent and missing mom more than I had since she left; when all of a sudden, in that sad, quiet moment in my simple little backyard, I felt just a hint of a warm summer breeze and this overwhelming sensation that while my life wouldn't be the same without her, it would definitely go on. I don't believe in ghosts, but I am religious, and somehow, I know that at that moment, in that tiny brush with summer, my mother was quietly telling me that she would always be with me and that things would be alright. Below is a short poem I wrote later that day. Inspired by my brush with summer in my backyard. Hope you guys enjoy it. C/C is always welcome.

Thanks,
Matthew

"Her Love"

She speaks softly
in the rustling trees;
Words slipping
from bowing branches.

Her love is gentle and steady;
a distant, rolling thunder
easing over the horizon,
disappearing into summer rains.

Her spirit as bright, powerful and fleeting
as a flash of lightning;
an instant of life
kissing the limitless desert.

She slips away;
Slowly waning
on the current of a mighty river
flowing, smooth and vast.

Yet, her memory endures;
Carefully reminding us
with each tiny whisper
of summer wind.

And we know her love
as big as our own.

Jon Szanto
October 8th, 2014, 12:32 PM
That was very, very lovely. Blessings on your heart for sharing this tribute.

heymatthew
October 8th, 2014, 12:36 PM
That was very, very lovely. Blessings on your heart for sharing this tribute.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful comment. It means a great deal.

Regards,
Matthew

chojo
October 9th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I lost my father when i very young so i never really got to know him, so my whole life my mother has been my rock, my life coach, my nurse, my safety blanket. Some call me a mummy's boy do I care? hell no, I love her with all my heart and can't imagine life without her. My heart breaks when i read things like the poem you've written and I can't imagine the courage it must take to go through what you have and come through to create something so heartfelt and see a positive side to life. Thanks for sharing I'll send a little prayer your way tonight and hope God gives you the strength to continue to see that life does go on, never quite the same but with an angel on your shoulder to keep you company when you feel a little low. God bless my friend.

Crazyorange
October 9th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Very beautiful. I understand.....dad has been gone 4 years.....and there's days I miss him something bad. Sending you prayers.

heymatthew
October 9th, 2014, 06:16 PM
I lost my father when i very young so i never really got to know him, so my whole life my mother has been my rock, my life coach, my nurse, my safety blanket. Some call me a mummy's boy do I care? hell no, I love her with all my heart and can't imagine life without her. My heart breaks when i read things like the poem you've written and I can't imagine the courage it must take to go through what you have and come through to create something so heartfelt and see a positive side to life. Thanks for sharing I'll send a little prayer your way tonight and hope God gives you the strength to continue to see that life does go on, never quite the same but with an angel on your shoulder to keep you company when you feel a little low. God bless my friend.

Thank you for your kindness and for taking the time to express your thoughts. I hate that you lost your father so young, but I am glad that you found strength in your mother. Don't ever let go of that and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about the bond you have with your mom. It's special and irreplaceable. Thank you for your prayers.

Kind regards,
Matthew

heymatthew
October 9th, 2014, 06:17 PM
Very beautiful. I understand.....dad has been gone 4 years.....and there's days I miss him something bad. Sending you prayers.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart. It never gets better, it just gets different, doesn't it? Sending prayers your way as well.

Crazyorange
October 9th, 2014, 06:22 PM
Yup....completely agree. Xmas is the hardest. Just not the same. But he's like your mom....he's everywhere I look.

chojo
October 10th, 2014, 12:21 PM
Sorry about your dad, I know how hard it is. God bless friend I'll remember you in my prayers too.

Thank you for your kindness and for taking the time to express your thoughts. I hate that you lost your father so young, but I am glad that you found strength in your mother. Don't ever let go of that and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about the bond you have with your mom. It's special and irreplaceable. Thank you for your prayers.

Kind regards,
Matthew

Thank you Matthew, God bless.

VertOlive
October 10th, 2014, 09:14 PM
So very hard. I miss my Dad every single day and he's been gone 32 years. I treasure the gift of having taken care of him in the last year of his life.

It gets easier, but it never gets easy.

kidde
October 11th, 2014, 10:20 PM
I do not know your loss, my parents are still with me. May I comment on what you have written? Your mother may not be here, but she is with you. Ever person you meet sees her handiwork in your words and deeds. Your speaking here of her tells us all of her life's work, you. The light that shines in you glows with the love those in your life gifted to you. When someone smiles at you it is the reflection of the greatness shared by all who molded and shaped you.
I think she is proud, its obvious to me she did an excellent job.
Paul

heymatthew
October 31st, 2014, 08:46 AM
I do not know your loss, my parents are still with me. May I comment on what you have written? Your mother may not be here, but she is with you. Ever person you meet sees her handiwork in your words and deeds. Your speaking here of her tells us all of her life's work, you. The light that shines in you glows with the love those in your life gifted to you. When someone smiles at you it is the reflection of the greatness shared by all who molded and shaped you.
I think she is proud, its obvious to me she did an excellent job.
Paul

Paul,
I apologize for not responding sooner. Thank you so much for your kind words, both about me and my mother. They're so much appreciated.

Regards,
Matthew

heymatthew
October 31st, 2014, 08:48 AM
So very hard. I miss my Dad every single day and he's been gone 32 years. I treasure the gift of having taken care of him in the last year of his life.

It gets easier, but it never gets easy.

My apologies for not responding to you sooner. :( I hate that you lost your dad, but I am so glad to hear you say that things get easier. Everyday is just a little different. Not really better, just different. I guess we get so used to the presence of those we love that getting used to their absence just never happens.

Blessings,
Matthew

GiGi
November 4th, 2014, 08:39 PM
I cannot read your poem as my own loss is too great. I'm sure that it is beautiful as your mother was. Be sure to reach out over the holidays if your loss seems to be overwhelming. The next few months are always hard for me. I will hold you and your mother in the light.

heymatthew
November 4th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I cannot read your poem as my own loss is too great. I'm sure that it is beautiful as your mother was. Be sure to reach out over the holidays if your loss seems to be overwhelming. The next few months are always hard for me. I will hold you and your mother in the light.

Thank you for your thoughts. I know a little bit about how you might be feeling and I, too, will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, especially this holiday season. I do hope that my post hasn't caused you heartache.

Kindest regards,
Matthew