PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Flex

Austin_Malone
October 8th, 2014, 08:02 PM
So, I mainly have modern pens, but would like to try flex. I've got a local pen show coming up and while I know not every pen of the same model has the same amount of flex, what are some good pens to look at? I know that a Parker 51 would be a terrible place to look, and a Eversharp Skyline a great place, but I have one of each. Ideally it should be a pen I could get in reasonably good condition for less than $100-150

AZBennett
October 8th, 2014, 11:31 PM
Other Eversharp Pens (Bantam or Symphony), nearly all vintage Watermans models were available with flex though they can be pricey, Mabie Todd pens, Moore, older Aikin Lamberts, almost all unbranded/unknown BCHR eyedroppers I have gotten have had flex nibs of some degree or another. And while you say you have a Skyline you don't mention if it has a flexy nib or a nail, all of mine vary greatly so you might try some other Skylines. Also Conway Stewart, Conklin, lots of the German pens from the 50s-60s and some of the more hard to find Esterbrook nibs. Those are where I would start.

Marsilius
October 8th, 2014, 11:34 PM
I have had some nice Waterman and Waterman clones from the 1920s. I got a few from Fred Krinke in Monrovia, CA but don't know where you are so maybe not useful info.
Good luck!

Deb
October 9th, 2014, 04:07 AM
Actually Conway Stewarts are not known for their flexibility. Most will show a little line variation but very few are as flexible as, say, a good Swan or Onoto.

Cob
October 9th, 2014, 04:29 PM
I have, at present, three favourite makes: Mabie Todd, Waterman's and Osmia. I have four Osmias and every one has a delightful nib, all are flexible but the extent varies. With Swans you can find anything! Obviously stay away from Eternal nibs - the one I have writes beautifully but is rigid. I have had quite a number of Swans with the common No 2 nib; most of them are very good, though not necessarily very flexible - I have just one which I call the boiled spaghetti nib - and of course it looks just like any other English Swan No 2 nib! You have a better than even chance of finding flexibility if you choose No 1 Swan nibs - pen model numbers will usually have a 1 as the second digit of the four-digit model code, e.g. 3160, 6142 etc. Many of the Swan No 1s are superb in every way.

As for Waterman's, my limited experience tells me you have a good chance of finding flex with Canadian Ideal nibs. That is not to say that some of the US ones are not flexible, but I have owned four or five 52s and the Canadian ones have all had lovely nibs. whilst I have had some American ones which were really rather dull. At present I have two American ones - a 32 Mahogany which has nice flex (see sample in "Recent pen acquisitions") and a Lady Patricia which has a nice fine, flexible nib. In my spares stock I have three American Waterman's nibs - two No 4s and a No 2 - all firm, an English No 2 (firm) and French 18ct No 2 (firm!).

So to sum up after all this waffle - it's a lottery - unless of course you can "try before you buy" or if you can trust the seller's writing samples. A good start would be to visit Deb's site (Goodwriter's pens - she is the author of the post above and there are links there); there you will get a sample for each pen offered for sale.

Best of luck

Cob

reprieve
October 9th, 2014, 04:44 PM
My best flex nibs are from Waterman, early Wahl, and Mabie Todd/Swan. I especially like the Mabie Todd/Swan nibs and you can find some really good deals if you go for a pen that's not in pristine condition.

HughC
October 9th, 2014, 07:41 PM
You find numerous flex nibs on a lot of the US '30's pens. National made a lot and most turn up under the one of the Sears Roebuck brands like Good Service, Diamond Medal as well as Gold Medal ( and a host of others). A surprising number of combos carry flex nibs as well . Those should fit your budget, at the higher end Wahl was a master of flex and plenty of their dorics and flat tops carry flex nibs and there's always a Doric with an adjustable nib ( you can vary the amount of flex to suit) that suits nearly every need...but at a cost..

Regards
Hugh

Austin_Malone
October 9th, 2014, 07:45 PM
Thanks so much, never even thought of Mabie Todd. My Skyline is flexible. Great answers from everyone, and none of them snobby. I am impressed.

00Photo
October 9th, 2014, 11:13 PM
At a pen show, Waterman's are easiest to find when searching for flex nibs. At the last Chicago pen show all the Mabie Todd's I found were exuberantly priced.

discopig
October 10th, 2014, 05:51 AM
Waterman, Moore, Mabie Todd all made pens with nibs ranging from semi-flex to very flexible in the 10s through 30s.