PDA

View Full Version : Pens That You Decide You Need to Own.

Quantum Sailor
October 9th, 2014, 06:53 PM
So in my short amount of time collecting fountain pens and the limited exposure I've had to the various types a few pens have jumped out at me that I've said I will own this pen someday, I suppose one is my grail pen and the others are cheaper (relative to the grail pen lol) So this got me wondering what other collectors/users have as their need to own pens. (If this is a duplicate thread I apologize).

So here's mine:

Grail Pen: 37 Onoto Magna Tigers Eye or the black and silver version.

Others: Montblanc 234, Modern Onoto Magna (preferably plunger filler)

jar
October 9th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Yard-o-Led Grand Victorian
Yard-o-Led Victorian Pocket
Sheaffer/Classic Pens CP4 Washington & Richmond
Sheaffer Jim Gaston Cobalt
Montegrappa 80th Anniversary
Montegrappa Extra Midnightblue
Ferrari da Varese Yesterday
Ferrari da Varese Botticelli
ST Dupont Medici
ST Dupont Vertigo & Vertigo 2
Waterman Opera
Parker Lucky Curve Senior Big Red

Austin_Malone
October 9th, 2014, 07:47 PM
1. Edison Menlo Pump filler
2. Edison Beaumont of Newton Orville
3. Lamy 2000

I have worked all summer to get one of these pens and now I can't decide which I want. Can't really afford the Menlo at this time.

00Photo
October 9th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Since I am a bit clumsy I decided I needed a pen made from lava and bronze. It worked so good I also purchased a pen made from lava and steel. Recently I have decided I need a pen that is of Divine proportions and blue.

Bogon07
October 9th, 2014, 08:56 PM
A Pelikan M1000 Raden Starlight more dramatic than the Sunlight version.
http://fpgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/m1000-raden-starlight-large-e1410971907175-798x159.png

Visconti HomoSapiens Florentine Hills
Visconti Divina/Cosmopolitan
Omas 360 translucent turquioise/smokey grey

Maybe an M400 White tortoiseshell - crossed off

Tsuki yo
October 10th, 2014, 09:04 AM
1 Visconti Homo Sapiens Lava Steel (this is THE grail, a pen I will more than likely never afford, but have coveted since first I saw it)
2 Omas 360
3 Mabie Todd Swan eyedropper
4 Pelikan M800

One day... Maybe, if I can become a successful enough bank robber, these pens will be mine.

Edit, how could I forget the Edison Menlo, NEED one of those, too.

erpe
October 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM
One day pens in no particular orde of priority
Onoto chuzzlewit
The new delta journal in brown
Conklin mark twain
Parker duofold mandarin 125
Edison beaumont

I have also more or less decided not to purchase too many medium priced pens anymore and try to dump a few from the current collection

chojo
October 10th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Any Nakaya, really any I don't care I love them all
The entire Mont Blanc writers collection
Visconti Michelangelo
Visconti dance of time Dali collection
Edison menlo
And the big fat orange one i can never remember the name of!

Quantum Sailor
October 10th, 2014, 05:23 PM
Thank you all for sharing. I find it interesting what type of pens grab different people's attention.

tandaina
October 10th, 2014, 05:35 PM
My "grail pen" is some sort of Nakaya with abalone shell. I'd love their butterfly but that's so far out of my price range it won't happen.

So most likely the Nakaya Raden blue rose or galaxy... Someday.

shudaizi
October 10th, 2014, 06:21 PM
The only pens that still manage to turn my eye these days are Nakayas. Either a Neo-Standard or a Naka-ai Writer ... in either Aka-tamenuri or Kuro-tamenuri. Maybe someday.

VertOlive
October 10th, 2014, 08:15 PM
Most black and orange pens...there is a Bexley.
Delta Oro
2009 Orange Lamy Safari

Buncha Nakayas!

velo
October 10th, 2014, 09:23 PM
So many pens yet to acquire. Life kind of takes over.

Nakaya Decapod Twist.
Visconti Wall Street.
Pelikans M600/800.
Montblanc Starwalker.

earthdawn
October 10th, 2014, 10:18 PM
Well....

Visconti divina desert springs LE ~ I know where one is & if it is at the Pen Show I am going to this year I will not leave without it.
Parker Duofold Akkerman Orange ~ Akkerman's Edition of this pen
Omas Vintage Paragon in Arco Celluloid
Mont Blanc 139 ~ Nuf said
Mont Blanc Hemingway

Laura N
October 10th, 2014, 10:46 PM
Aurora Optima, black with chrome trim, EF nib.

Edison piston filler, not yet invented.

youstruckgold
October 10th, 2014, 11:01 PM

It IS invented! Brian tried to experiment on a piston filler some time ago; it was a limited edition of 50 called the Broxton - and I have one. I'm not sure why he didn't keep doing the piston filler; mine has been good.

I like mango pudding
October 10th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I want a Pelikan and a Nakaya. I have neither.

Laura N
October 11th, 2014, 09:40 AM

It IS invented! Brian tried to experiment on a piston filler some time ago; it was a limited edition of 50 called the Broxton - and I have one. I'm not sure why he didn't keep doing the piston filler; mine has been good.

I didn't know that: cool!

I am hoping he revives it. I'm first on the list. :)

Kaputnik
October 11th, 2014, 10:41 AM
I'm not sure that there are any such at the moment, but there have been in the past, a long list of pens that I "had" to try once I heard of them. For vintage pens, there were Esterbrooks (and with certain specific nibs), Parker 51s and a Vacumatic, Conklin Crescent fillers (not the modern reproductions), and there were others.

For modern pens, there were many that I just had to try, the Lamy 2000, Pilot Vanishing Point, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Namiki Falcon, Pelikan M205, TWSBI 540, and again, others. There were even some cheapies that I was too curious about not to get, one of the Hero P-51 lookalikes, a Stypen Up, Noodler's (ugh) Ahab. And yes, once more, there were others.

I now have an improbable number of pens, including all of the above, and there are no more that I need to own. I haven't reached $200 for a pen yet, and don't plan to, no dreaming about Nakayas or Montblancs for me ( I do have a Montblanc, but it's a used one that cost around $100 ). I really would like to own an old Pelikan 140 at some point, if I can find it at the right price with the right nib. A Waterman 52 with a genuinely "wet noodle" nib is on my list; I have some very flexy vintage nibs, but not quite what I imagine is out there. Because filling systems interest me, I'd like to try a button filler at some point. None of these are "need" items, though. When my present reasons for restraint are over, I may go looking for something interesting, that's all.

Cob
October 11th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Ha ha! This is the "objects of desire thread I suppose!

I would like a Waterman's Patrician and one of those art-deco ink-vues - er, and a 94 (blue/cream) and a 7... &c., &c.

Then of course there are the Mabie Todds I fancy - I have wanted a 1060 for ages, but what I do fancy is a 1060 type - or another leverless like the L445 in one of Swan's lovely special materials like the tiger eye (64) or Italian Marble (59) or indeed one of the lovely tortoiseshells (78?). I love the look of the ETN series but would like to find one that did not have an Eternal nib, which is asking rather a lot I fear.

And an Osmia 448...

Cob

da vinci
October 11th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Montblanc Hemmingway

Montblanc Ramses in 144 size

A Romillo of some sort

Solid gold P51

reprieve
October 11th, 2014, 05:35 PM
I don't know that I need to own any of these. But this is what's on my maybe someday radar.

On the modern list:
Edison Double-ended Pearl
Nakaya in ao-tamenuri
Pilot Justus in barleycorn
Hakase
Conid Bulkfiller

Vintage:
Aurora 88 with a silver cap and a flexy nib
Pelikan 100N with a soft OB or OBB nib
Omas Lucens
Waterman 452 sterling filigree overlay with a flex nib
Waterman music nib

hardlined
October 13th, 2014, 06:35 AM
All of the above. :)

But I've been really drawn towards:

Pelikan M800 (Green or Tortoise if I can find a good deal)
Shaeffer Balance (Lever)

Some other interesting pens I've seen that I would like to try/own:

Waterman 94 Music Nib
Pelikan 400NN Stenographer's Nib
Mabie Todd Swan (or something with a wet noodle nib would be fun)

migo984
October 13th, 2014, 06:59 AM
I couldn't name a single pen that I need to own. I'm not into expensive, fancy stuff - I'm happy with plain, everyday modern or vintage pens that write well.

amk
October 13th, 2014, 07:22 AM
All the pens everywhere in the world, hahahahahaha....

Okay, if I can't be a Marvel comics villain in the fountain pen world, I'll settle for two Hakases, one in buffalo horn and one in blackwood.

bluefeathers
October 13th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Yes, though they have changed. When I first started buying/collecting pens 1.5 years ago, my grail pens were:
Aurora Optima in blue, Montblanc 146/7, Visconti Desert Springs, Visconti Wall Street in green, Delta Rediscover Pompei, Pelikan M400 brown tortoise,
Montblanc Starwalker rubber/metal.
I got the Aurora and Delta but they were too flashy for me, so I've crossed the Viscontis off...still intrigued by their Homo Sapiens pen though :)

Now-- top three I have, the rest are on my 'need' to have list:

Pelikan green/black
Pelikan Piccadilly Circus -finally got the rollerball, want to complete the set w/ fountain pen someday!
Pelikan M400 - brown tortoise
Montblanc 146
Parker Duofold Jr - Lapis lazuli and Mandarin Yellow
Parker Royal Challenger - silver pearl
Conway Stewart 58 - blue herringbone
Tibaldi Modelo 50 - yellow/blue
What can I say? I like stripes!

And if I get really ambitious, maybe someday - these vintage classics:
Pelikan 101N - tortoise
Pelikan Toledo M700
Waterman Lady Patricia - turquoise/blue
Wahl-Eversharp Art Deco- Brazilian green
Waterman safety pens w/ silver overlay

GING GING
October 13th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Since I am a bit clumsy I decided I needed a pen made from lava and bronze. It worked so good I also purchased a pen made from lava and steel. Recently I have decided I need a pen that is of Divine proportions and blue.
Never laugh when you're drinking water

GING GING
October 13th, 2014, 07:06 PM
I need to own the Porsche 3135 solid titanium fountain pen

youstruckgold
October 13th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Ooo - me too

Quantum Sailor
October 13th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone for responding, I'm seeing all kinds of new fountain pens I've never heard of before.

VertOlive
October 13th, 2014, 08:01 PM
No, wait! Add the Aurora Asia to my list!

youstruckgold
October 13th, 2014, 08:30 PM
Vert olive- have a look at the Oceania - it's fabulous!

Bogon07
October 13th, 2014, 08:53 PM
The Aurora Africa holds an certain alure.

zchen
October 14th, 2014, 12:17 AM
I'm at a good place already. The only ones that I feel the desire for are all way high in price so I won't be getting one anytime soon.
Modern: Pilot Custom Enju, Pilot Custom 845, Sailor King of Pen Pro Gear, Visconti Opera, Pelikan 1000.
Vintage: Sheaffer PFM II, III, IV, V, Oversize Balance.

Unobtainable: Sailor KOP Realo 2006.

caribbean_skye
October 14th, 2014, 05:36 AM
In no special order:
Several Danitrios
several Nakayas
Edison Extended Mina
Waterman 94 with wet noodle nib
Waterman Ink-vue
vintage Conklin crescent filler
Pilot Falcon
Platinum 3776 shoji

dannzeman
October 14th, 2014, 07:39 AM

What about a pen from the hills of Florence? I believe there's another one that's as crystal clear as the oceans...

jar
October 14th, 2014, 08:48 AM

What about a pen from the hills of Florence? I believe there's another one that's as crystal clear as the oceans...

Is there a clear one in the Signum Murano line?

dannzeman
October 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM

Is there a clear one in the Signum Murano line?

Not sure. I was referencing the Homo Sapiens Crystal.

Snargle
October 14th, 2014, 09:46 AM
I'd be pretty happy with a Pelikan M800 Blue O' Blue. :cool:

https://chatterleyluxuries.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Pelikan-Marbled-Blue-Fountain-Pen2.jpg

fountainpenkid
October 15th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Mont Blanc 142, Pelikan 500 Seagreen, vintage OMAS lucens, Soennecken 210 or 110.

Steph
October 15th, 2014, 05:25 PM
A Nakaya in stone finish and a Montblanc Dumas with the son's signature have been on the list for a long while. But recently it's been the Sailor Millecolore in blue that's been nagging at my pocket. And the Montblanc 90th Anniversary Skeleton too.

Laura N
October 15th, 2014, 05:44 PM
A Nakaya in stone finish and a Montblanc Dumas with the son's signature have been on the list for a long while. But recently it's been the Sailor Millecolore in blue that's been nagging at my pocket. And the Montblanc 90th Anniversary Skeleton too.

If you get that one, will you promise to post a photo?

Steph
October 15th, 2014, 07:18 PM
Sure, might be a good while though.

Chuasam
October 15th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Mint condition Waterman 52 with flex nib

Laura N
October 15th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Sure, might be a good while though.

Well worth the wait, though! That's an amazing pen.

Cob
October 16th, 2014, 01:29 AM

I would like a Waterman's Patrician and one of those art-deco ink-vues - er, and a 94 (blue/cream) and a 7... &c., &c.

Then of course there are the Mabie Todds I fancy - I have wanted a 1060 for ages, but what I do fancy is a 1060 type - or another leverless like the L445 in one of Swan's lovely special materials like the tiger eye (64) or Italian Marble (59) or indeed one of the lovely tortoiseshells (78?). I love the look of the ETN series but would like to find one that did not have an Eternal nib, which is asking rather a lot I fear.

And an Osmia 448...

Cob

And I would like a Ford, perhaps not the Magnum, but a Standard would do very nicely.

Cob

Quantum Sailor
October 16th, 2014, 05:55 PM

And an Osmia 448...

Cob

And I would like a Ford, perhaps not the Magnum, but a Standard would do very nicely.

Cob

I've only seen pictures of Ford Patent pens, which I'm assuming is the Ford you're referring to, and they were marked sold on a vintage pen sellers site, I have never seen one for sale...I liked their look though, don't know anything about them though.

Quantum Sailor
October 16th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Now the really hard question....Why is your grail pen your grail pen?

Mine is the Onoto Magna from 37. I think because it's rare, the black and silver one is just stunning to me, it has history behind it. Though unfortunately until you try a pen you won't know if it's all you think it is, so I'll have to wait and see what the reality is if I ever acquire one. But all the vintage Onoto's I've acquired I've loved.

ethernautrix
October 27th, 2014, 08:50 AM
For about ten years, the Montblanc Semiramis was my grail pen. I loved the filigree and the tiny animal on the clip. I went through many pens during this time and just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on one pen. Then... Nakaya happened. To me, I mean. Coinciding (or perhaps spurring) a purge cycle that lasted a few years, might still be in effect.

After buying a few Nakayas and downsizing my accumulation somewhat, I had the opportunity to acquire a Semiramis in a trade. I was reluctant, but I couldn't shake the "ohmygod it's the pen I've wanted for so many years!" feeling. So I had the Semiramis. It was almost comically gaudy next to my simple Nakayas. But it was my grail! Was.

I still liked the filigree, yeah. And that neat little icon on the clip. The nib was super! A great pen. But I knew I wouldn't use it. I had my Nakayas. I traded it for a Pelikan Toledo 710 and some cash and never looked back.

I have some really great pens, and I use them - some more than others. I'm contented with what I have and don't think about grail pens. The Nakayas would have been the grail pens if I had thought about them that way, but they are just my beautiful, perfectly-suited for my writing and drawing pens. (Also currently using a Kullock Parker 51, a Danitrio Komori, a Montblanc 100-Year Historical, a Sheaffer No-Nonsense, a Pilot Parallel, and a Hardtmuth Studio (vintage).)

mhosea
October 27th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I don't think I have any grail pens left. The MB149 was it, if anything was. Now I have two (both bought used, of course, and not even close to adding up to the price of one new one). Pens I think I'm going to have to own at some point:

1. Pelikan M1000 (probably just plain black). This is entirely about the nib!
2. Pelikan M800 Blue on Black with a medium nib. I have a Black on Black on with an EF. Ergonomically, this seems to be the ultimate pen for me, and I love the blue stripes.
3. A Nakaya with a soft-medium nib. I wish I could cross paths with these to figure out how they would feel in my hand. I hold a Parker 51 around the clutch ring, so the barrel step on Nakayas worries me. I have been looking mainly at models like the long cigar, Dorsal Fin and Dorsal Fin v2, both for the long and/or large grips as well as for the length of the pen unposted (as I'm not sure how I will adapt to not posting unless the pen is quite a bit longer than average).

Was seriously considering a Visconti HS Crystal (the dual reservoir scheme was a superb idea), but the cutouts for the cap retention scheme are under my grip. I'd love to receive one as a raffle prize--I'd use it happily enough, but I don't think I'll be buying one.

Laura N
October 27th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I think I'm done with the "grail pen" idea. I have a lot of nice pens: too many, really. Yesterday I watched as two amazing Parker 51 Vacumatics were auctioned off within a few hours, one for over $300 and one for over $500, neither restored. I think both went for fair prices. But I didn't bid on either, and I was totally fine with that. Actually, I was glad about that. I am content, or done, or whatever.

I do hope I get to see them someday. Maybe at the next Chicago Pen Show. :)

I should clarify: I didn't bid on either because I don't have the money for either. :) Not being the least bit upset is what I was happy about.

AndrewW
October 28th, 2014, 02:03 PM
A small handful, as of the moment:
Visconti HS Crystal (this does not mix well with college student budget + mountain biking).
Sheaffer Flat-Top w/i broad nib - recently did get one, a 7-30 jade, no less. Stub.
A Sheaffer PFM or Legacy w/i Fantasy barrel in burgundy. Again, preferably a wide nib

Not having the money as a student...These pens are things I'll probably buy at a once every year or two rate.

2ntense
November 6th, 2014, 01:05 PM
The list is long and I am far from home.

1. Omas Paragon old-style (ANY color)
2. Visconti Divina Elegance (Blue) LE
3. Pelikan M1000 Raden Starlight
4. Montblanc Franz Kafka LE
5. Pelikan M805 Blue
6. Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal
7. Nakaya Decapod Twist (with subtle red/black mix) and Nakaya Naka-ai (in blue?)
8. Omas 360 old-style Turquoise/original Magnum
9. Visconti Opera Elements Fire or MB Dumas/Hemingway/Verne/Hitchcock/139
9. Any beautiful Omas or Visconti (Bronze Titanium, Arte Italiana LE, Bronze Arco Ogiva, Alba; Divina D.S., H.S., Blue W.S. LE)
10. Waterman Red Ripple with flex nib

It seems this is really a list of grail pens. If I had ones that I needed to have, I would think of iconic pens, and then of course the MB 149, Parker 51, Lamy 2000, etc. would be on there.
I moved to New Zealand about two years ago and I wanted to find a hobby I could enjoy that I could keep to myself and could be one of "my" hobbies, if that makes sense. This was not easy. I actually was reading an article about classic literature and the tools of the trade, and there was the eight-letter word of a brand that maybe started it all: 'Waterman'. I remembered seeing something about Waterman from a long time ago, and it got my interest, and that is all I needed. Collecting and using fountain pens is a wonderful hobby and creates a wonderful community.

youstruckgold
November 6th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Fabulous choices! If you're ever in Melbourne I'd be happy to help you catch up with a few [emoji4]

velo
November 6th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Fabulous choices! If you're ever in Melbourne I'd be happy to help you catch up with a few [emoji4]

I can't believe I missed the Melbourne Pen Show last week.

2ntense
November 6th, 2014, 10:05 PM

Wow, really? It is very difficult to find nice pens where I live. What do you have? ;)

Tracy Lee
November 8th, 2014, 04:18 AM

Wow, really? It is very difficult to find nice pens where I live. What do you have? ;)
A better question for youstruckgold is what DOESN'T he have! :-)

youstruckgold
November 8th, 2014, 04:49 AM
now, now Tracy :angel:
2intense I have your 1,4,6,7,8,9(b) and 10.

Tracy Lee
November 8th, 2014, 06:09 AM
now, now Tracy :angel:
2intense I have your 1,4,6,7,8,9(b) and 10.
Told ya. [emoji1] [emoji106]

Mags
November 8th, 2014, 07:24 AM
I think a number 2 is in order for you to pick up Youstruckgold. ;)

Waski_the_Squirrel
November 8th, 2014, 07:38 AM
Somewhere along the line, I bought my grail pen (a Pilot Justus 95). Since then, I've purchased a few pens, but none give me the excitement that one did. I've been saving for months to get a Nakaya, and, on November 20, my savings will be there a month early, and I wasn't even trying. I'll concede I was excited this summer about the pen when I first decided to buy the pen and had several months head start in saving. But that excitement faded and I now know I will not be buying it.

What I've gotten to now is that I look at pens to fill a niche in my collection or which are unique. After that Nakaya fever had time to wear off, I realized that the expensive pens just don't excite me the way I used to think they did.

So, it may be a bit of a hijack, but is there room in this category for those of us who purchased our grail pen and now just want to fill in our collection?

Quantum Sailor
November 8th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Somewhere along the line, I bought my grail pen (a Pilot Justus 95). Since then, I've purchased a few pens, but none give me the excitement that one did. I've been saving for months to get a Nakaya, and, on November 20, my savings will be there a month early, and I wasn't even trying. I'll concede I was excited this summer about the pen when I first decided to buy the pen and had several months head start in saving. But that excitement faded and I now know I will not be buying it.

What I've gotten to now is that I look at pens to fill a niche in my collection or which are unique. After that Nakaya fever had time to wear off, I realized that the expensive pens just don't excite me the way I used to think they did.

So, it may be a bit of a hijack, but is there room in this category for those of us who purchased our grail pen and now just want to fill in our collection?

I think there's room to discuss any type of pen you would like to own and why. Tastes change and they change for different reasons. I started the thread because I find it interesting what attracts people to what pens they purchase.

TerraNoir
November 9th, 2014, 07:38 AM
I think my grail pens are currently (which for the longest time I never had a list!):

1. Aurora Oceania
2. One or more Nakayas
3. Classic Pens LM1
4. Visconti HS Crystal (I believe...?)

Cob
November 9th, 2014, 08:13 AM

Yes this applies in many cases.

Was it not Oscar Wilde who remarked that the one thing worse than not having what you want is getting it?

I recall buying a Swan I was desperate to have, and once I had acquired it and fixed it up, I would just get it out from time to time and write "this pen is really nice, I should use it more often." But I never did, and so it is now sold!

Best of luck

Cob

bluefeathers
November 9th, 2014, 11:15 AM

Yes this applies in many cases.

Was it not Oscar Wilde who remarked that the one thing worse than not having what you want is getting it?

I recall buying a Swan I was desperate to have, and once I had acquired it and fixed it up, I would just get it out from time to time and write "this pen is really nice, I should use it more often." But I never did, and so it is now sold!

Best of luck

Cob

Well said, Oscar Wilde! This has happened to me too. I think pens need to be approachable to be used; you have to want to pick them up and write with them. Sometimes the grail pens are beautiful but unapproachable. The grail pens that stick for me are those that I have a certain idea of/attached to them--they fill a niche, either cultural, or a style or color I like, *and* I enjoy writing with them! But they have to be blend into the background enough for me to concentrate on what I'm writing...

Sammyo
November 9th, 2014, 02:58 PM
I thought about this a lot, there are many pens I would like to own, but that is not the point. So what I decided was that there are pens I would like to own that are achievable.

I then decided to list some of the pens on my Amazon wish list, with a little explanation.
Visconti Rembrandt (Orange) - Shiny, pretty, need...
Visconti Van Gogh (Starry Night) - Shiny, pretty, need...
Delta Dolce Vita Mini (Orange/Black) - Shiny, pretty, need...
Delta Fusion Star Collection Dolce Vita Sole - Like the Dolce Vita but piston with an ink window and pretty cap
Parker Vector (Black) - It was the first fountain pen I every owned, I used it to write all my notes in school as a kid and want one just to have one again.

Side note, I got my original "want it" pen when I bought a Platinum Century #3776 Bourgogne.

bluefeathers
November 25th, 2014, 11:30 PM
Yes, though they have changed. When I first started buying/collecting pens 1.5 years ago, my grail pens were:
Aurora Optima in blue, Montblanc 146/7, Visconti Desert Springs, Visconti Wall Street in green, Delta Rediscover Pompei, Pelikan M400 brown tortoise,
Montblanc Starwalker rubber/metal.
I got the Aurora and Delta but they were too flashy for me, so I've crossed the Viscontis off...still intrigued by their Homo Sapiens pen though :)

Now-- top three I have, the rest are on my 'need' to have list:

Pelikan green/black
Pelikan Piccadilly Circus -finally got the rollerball, want to complete the set w/ fountain pen someday!
Pelikan M400 - brown tortoise
Montblanc 146
Parker Duofold Jr - Lapis lazuli and Mandarin Yellow
Parker Royal Challenger - silver pearl
Conway Stewart 58 - blue herringbone edit: - got it!!
Tibaldi Modelo 50 - yellow/blue
What can I say? I like stripes!

And if I get really ambitious, maybe someday - these vintage classics:
Pelikan 101N - tortoise
Pelikan Toledo M700
Waterman Lady Patricia - turquoise/blue
Wahl-Eversharp Art Deco- Brazilian green
Waterman safety pens w/ silver overlay

I feel slightly embarrassed that my list is longer than others! And now I have to eat my words too, since it seems I want a Conway Stewart
Marlborough more than the Ferrari da Varese Yesterday, which I just put up for sale on panjo. Please buy my pen, people, before I change my mind again!
In my defense I have put the Marlborough before on these lists :) !

GING GING
December 20th, 2014, 10:00 PM

You oughta give names to those lava pens

GING GING
December 20th, 2014, 10:01 PM
I need the Porsche 3135

pengeezer
December 22nd, 2014, 09:51 AM
The Chilton Long Island and Wingflow pens.

John

amk
December 23rd, 2014, 03:09 AM
I was reading Waski the Squirrel's post and I had exactly the reverse experience. I had looked at pictures of Nakayas on the web and thought okay, nice, but I don't need one.

Then I had the chance to try out the Dorsal Fin 2 ishime kanshitsu, a katana-shaped pen with a wonderful toadlike warty surface that sounds gross, but is really delightful, and a Nakaya music nib. Now it's on my grail pen list and I am working out how I am going to afford it. (How many Parker Vectors do I have to sell to get one Nakaya?)

Also added to my lust list: - a Pelikan 500NN. Tortoise AND gold.

Mags
December 23rd, 2014, 06:14 AM
A Heritage Collection 1911 the oversized big version. It is a statement maker. But I need to sell all my pens to afford it. I may wait awhile to see if one comes up for sale in my circle of pen lovers in 5 or so years from now.

VertOlive
December 23rd, 2014, 08:57 AM
Sort of taken by the Pelikan Cafe Creme and the Pelikan Stresemann in Anthracite.......

HOLE N ONE
December 23rd, 2014, 09:29 AM
A transparent LAMY with a gold nib

Hawk
December 23rd, 2014, 10:49 AM
Pelikan M805 Anthracite Striated, if I can afford it.

Chuasam
February 9th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Waterman’s Ideal Nº 52

Frisky Willy
July 21st, 2015, 02:14 PM
I've been rather fortunate in my collecting efforts and scored a Soennecken Rheingold and a Dunn, both in fine working order for peanuts, i.e. under $50. However, i am still looking for a few "standard" classics to round out my small horde:

Parker "51" - first year
Parker Vacumatic - first year
Waterman's Ink-Vue: "Silver Ray"
Pelikan 100 - black first year
Pelikan 100 - "old logo" tortoise
Sheaffer Snorkel, first year
Wahl Eversharp Doric

There are many, many more that are on my wish list (well, to be honest, actually drool list) but if i was to croak tomorrow these are the pens that i'd like to leave to my heirs. Of course, since they would barely recognize a fountain pen let alone be aware of their value, my painfully-amassed collection will probably be given away, tossed in the dumpster, or sold for a pittance. Ain't life great!

rpsyed
July 21st, 2015, 02:45 PM
A Hakase in jade celluloid and a Gimena Pens Erica Magnus.

http://www.gimenapen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ERICA-MAGNUS_01-500x334.jpg
http://www.gimenapen.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ERICA-MAGNUS_02-500x334.jpg

Made of briar wood and lacquered with urushi.

Sailor Kenshin
July 21st, 2015, 04:15 PM
Uhmm....I have a thing for MB tester pens. Got one, thanks to 00Photo.

And Triumph-nibbed Sheaffers. I think these are attainable, if slowly. Already have three.

If I ever won a lottery I would probably go for every specialty nib Sailor makes.

da vinci
July 21st, 2015, 04:33 PM
Ooooh dear.

Romillo - not entirely sure which one
Like rpsyed I'd like a jade celluloid Hakase
The 2008 annual edition MB (blue dragon)
A 144 sized MB jungle eyes in any colour except citrine
A jade or ruby Onoto Magna
A solid gold MB 144/P51

Edited to add a Faivet Ubik. Interesting pen!

I could go on but I can see I am exhibiting some poor personality traits!

<runs off for reality check>

Blastmaster1972
August 16th, 2015, 06:05 AM
Today I decided that I NEED to own a Conid Bulkfiller.

Kind regards,

Jos

Chuasam
November 14th, 2015, 01:38 PM
My Grail pen is some Nakaya I can't make up my mind which
I have a Lamy2000 as my daily writer. It was the Grail pen of my misspent youth.

mhosea
November 14th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I don't think I have any grail pens left. The MB149 was it, if anything was. Now I have two (both bought used, of course, and not even close to adding up to the price of one new one). Pens I think I'm going to have to own at some point:

1. Pelikan M1000 (probably just plain black). This is entirely about the nib!
2. Pelikan M800 Blue on Black with a medium nib. I have a Black on Black on with an EF. Ergonomically, this seems to be the ultimate pen for me, and I love the blue stripes.
3. A Nakaya with a soft-medium nib. I wish I could cross paths with these to figure out how they would feel in my hand. I hold a Parker 51 around the clutch ring, so the barrel step on Nakayas worries me. I have been looking mainly at models like the long cigar, Dorsal Fin and Dorsal Fin v2, both for the long and/or large grips as well as for the length of the pen unposted (as I'm not sure how I will adapt to not posting unless the pen is quite a bit longer than average).

Interesting to come back to this. I've done #1 and #2. No Nakaya action yet. Still not sure...

VertOlive
November 14th, 2015, 09:40 PM
Don't feel odd about taking your time on the Nakaya. It's taken me two years to finally make a decision and place my order. What I settled on was quite different than what I would've wanted a year ago.

Quantum Sailor
November 14th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Wow, hard to believe a year has passed since I started this thread. Thanks for bringing it back up. I agree it's interesting to look back and see if thoughts have changed. I have broadened my thoughts on pens I want and have discovered many new ones that I'm interested in trying.

VertOlive
November 15th, 2015, 03:16 PM
You're right. Now I also want that ginormous Delta Demonstrator, and the orange and black Sailor Pro Gear...