PDA

View Full Version : picking new inks

Nashtah
October 10th, 2014, 03:53 AM
Hello

What is the best way to select a new ink without being able to buy samples or see the ink in person? IF you know of a location to buy samples in China please tell me but as of right now the shipping of a sample makes the bottle look cheaper.
Second what is a good plan for inks which I don't like as I buy by the bottle?
As of now I buy my inks on taobao which is like ebay with out biding and 90% new.

Thanks for reading

Nashtah

VertOlive
October 10th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I think the best website for looking at ink samples on the computer monitor is Goulet Pen Co. They have an extensive inventory and very good pages for each ink with a swab and writing sample. Here is the link: http://www.gouletpens.com/Shop_All_Bottled_Ink_s/1106.htm

Any inks you've bought and end up not liking can be sold on pen forums, given away, or auctioned on eBay.

Enjoy!

tandaina
October 10th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Yup, Goulet Pens swabs are great. I also tend to do a Google search for reviews of an ink once I think I'm likely to buy it. That way I get more pictures and folks impressions of how it behaves. I've bought lots of ink this way, even in the US and haven't been disappointed.

chojo
October 10th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I agree with Vert olive and tandaina, google is your friend. I use you tube a lot too,videos can give you a better idea than written reviews I think.

serpent
October 10th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I think your biggest problem as you mentioned is the Shipping Cost. I would contact a vendor in Japan like BungBox e-mail them for shipping costs at: info at bung-box.com link to their site http://bung-box.com and ask for shipping quote. all their ink is custom Sailor and i'm pretty sure you'd be quite happy with any color you pick. they also do iroshizuko.

ypsilanti
October 10th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I use online reviews and Goulet Swabs to compare inks I already have to inks that I'm interested in buying. That way I can see if a red ink (for example) is more orange-red or more brown-red than an ink I already know. Very helpful.