PDA

View Full Version : Ooops.. I did it again!

ianmedium
July 10th, 2012, 05:51 PM
I think today I got a good deal!

I really wanted another 51 Vac but an earlier model with the old style blue diamond clip. Well whilst perusing ebay today one appeared as a new listing. I consulted a friend who knows much more than myself on these things and he thought it a great deal so I pounced (thank goodness pens are small. I can keep to my keep it simple philosophy of not having much stuff to pack around!)

So, the pen. A single jewell india black with 16k gold filled cap with aluminum jewell. The pen has been completely disassembled, cleaned and new vac diaphragm installed so it is good to go! Fine gold nib and the only marks are micro swirls on the cap which is to be expected! It was buy it now for $95 which I think is a great price.

Here are some of the sellers picture, what do you think?

KrazyIvan
July 10th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Good hunt! It is always nice to get a good deal.

ianmedium
July 10th, 2012, 06:17 PM
Thanks KI, I can't wait for this one to arrive!

peterpen53
July 11th, 2012, 03:41 AM
We are really having a crisis year, aren't we? Well, cosmetically it looks great and with a good clean up done that should be a good pen for many years to come.
Enjoy it!

As a matter of fact I'm paying more attention to vintage pens myself than I ever did before. With a bit of patience and keeping your eyes open there are some great nibs around.

Cheers,
Peter

FP_GaF
July 11th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Very nice example of a P51 Vac in seemingly excellent condition.

I have mixed feelings about eBay but you CAN get really nice deals. I have a Sheaffer Lifetime Jade Oversize coming my way which I got at about £50.00 (roughly $80.00) on eBay. It shows some pronounced discoloration but overall seems to be in good shape. Maybe I'll do a little review upon arrival with some nice pictures. That is if you are all good fp-geeks...

Congratulations on your nice deal Ian.

ianmedium
July 11th, 2012, 08:45 AM
FP_GaF, sounds great, I am looking forward to your review. I think every one of those jades that I have seen have discolouration some less than others but I guess it is the nature of the material over time. Which part of Devon are you from? I am in Canada now but grew up in Dawlish. Left in 1999 though am returning at some point this year to live in the UK again.

Peter, I tell you mate. I have never had a year like it with pens but this one really was too good to pass up as I have wanted this exact style for a long time but they were all at least double this in price. Great seller as well and as always with ebay, one buys the seller first, then the product!

ianmedium
July 23rd, 2012, 08:37 PM
Hi Folks. Well the 1944 51 Vac arrived today and I could not be happier! It writes beautifully and is in lovely condition, just a tiny amount of patina to show its years which is just what I like. A fine gold nib that is wonderful to write with. 16k gold filled cap with aluminum jewell, just perfect!

Here are so quick shots I have just taken.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010276.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010277.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010278.jpg
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm225/ianmedium/L1010279.jpg

Maja
July 24th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Very nice, Ian---congratulations! :D
I hope you'll bring it to our pen club meeting on August 16th....

KrazyIvan
July 24th, 2012, 08:57 AM
These pens are so tempting and then I use them and can't get used to them. Well, maybe not the 51 specifically but this style of pen. I really like the gold cap and I don't usually go for a lot of gold (gold color) in my pens.

ianmedium
July 24th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks Maja, will be sure to bring it along! KI, I think it seems this is a pen one either loves completely and cannot do without or one just does not like. It seems very few tread a middle ground with it!

I must admit, it took a while to grow on me and it was only early last year that I got my first one but once I began writing with it I completely got it. For me it is my fountain pen ball point if that makes any sense? I always have one in my courier bag along side my daily carries. It is the pen I pull out to make a quick note with, then pen I lend to someone else to do the same if they need it. I think, because they are pretty much bullet proof (especially the aerometric) and so cheap and relatively easy to have serviced they are so practical to me. I must admit this one won't be lent though, I will keep my 51 special for that.

Also, I have now owned four and tried many more and have yet to experience a bad writer amongst them. I used to not like the hooded design but now love it, the way the tip of the nib pokes out!
Another thing is I am a bit of a Royalist (I am a Brit) and one of the people I most respect in the world, Her Majesty, uses one and that actually does figure quite highly in the equation as well and as you know I work with a lot of well known people and am not easily star struck!