PDA

View Full Version : I need help! Lamy 2000 or Pilot Vanishing Point in Matte Black?

efj3
July 10th, 2012, 09:35 PM
First off, this is my first post, hello all!

I have found myself in a bit of a dilemma.
I cannot decide whether I want a Lamy 2000, or a Pilot Vanishing Point.
Unfortunately after reading both Awesome Reviews, the pens are too closely matched to make a decision without more influence.

A little background information about me:
I am 23 years old, currently in my third to last semester at college. I have a packed schedule and I use my pens for a lot of note taking. I do a decent amount of doodling and some drawing as well. Primarily they get used for note taking. I have what I consider an okay collection now, especially for getting into fountain pens just over a year ago.

It consists of:

4 Lamy Safaris (Aquamarine, Green Apple, Charcoal, and Red) I have at least one of every Lamy nib from EF to 1.5mm
Lamy Al Star (Coffee Brown)
Lamy Accent (Matte Black & Palladium)
2 1950's Eversharp Symphonys - both with Fine flex nibs (Black and Burgundy)
Kaweco Sport - Fine nib (Burgundy)
TWSBI 540 - Fine Nib
Mont Blanc 149 in what I believe is a Fine nib (inherited)
Mont Blanc Noblesse - Fine nib (inherited)
1980's Sheaffer Targa (inherited)
Parker Sonnet Ciselle - Extra Fine nib (inherited)
Franklin-Christoph Collegia in Dove grey, Medium and Fine nibs (Thanks FPGeeks contest!!!)
Noodler's Ahab
A few preppies thrown around that I don't really use

I really like everything I have now, the only thing that makes me lean towards the vanishing point is there there isn't anything like it in my collection.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8293/7547416246_ebf9582459_z.jpg

Here's what I want:
I know I want my new pen to be a fine nib. As far as piston vs. C/C, I am not overly biased towards either. I have no experience with Pilot's lineup, but I am definitely open to try one out. I really love all of my Lamys, especially the fine nibs. The only real question is: Do I get another Lamy that I'm almost positive I'll be happy with, or do I step outside the box and try something new that a large part of the fountain pen community loves?

I would love to hear opinions from everyone, especially those who own both pens, or at least one of them.

Thank you for reading, and thank you for helping out!

Bogon07
July 10th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Not owning either pen.

Many people absolutely love the Pilot Vanishing Point. Just listen to the later Pen Addict Podcasts through their enthusiastic clicking. According to JetPens it is a bit cheaper so you could buy a nice bottle of ink with it for the same price as the Lamy 2000. And you can get a finer nib than the Lamy. No cap to worry about.
You may want to try out the grip section before deciding as some people find it odd. A lot cheaper than a Lamy Dialog3.

You just can't have too many Lamys. The 2000 is classy pen design. A piston filler too. I think it has a gold nib, not sure if it is interchangable with your other Lamys. You could also try the Platium Grey Studio for the same cost also with a 14K gold nib which is interchangle with your other Lamys.

Are you able to try both out in a shop to see which one feels best ?

Nice pen collection. The purple luster on the Mont Blanc 149 (?) is particularly eye catching.

FP_GaF
July 11th, 2012, 08:33 AM
I own both, a Lamy 2000 (with B nib) and a Pilot VP with M-nib (one of the older ones from around 1995). They are both very god pens and fabulous writers, smooth like greased silk.

The Pilot VP is a fascinating concept but it has a tendency to dry out when not used on a daily basis and the (squeeze) converter does not hold and awful lot of ink. Bought new now I think the Lamy 2000 is about £50.00 ($80.00) more expensive but what a pen! Its a robust reliable workhorse with a timeless design. If I had to choose between the two I'd go for the Lamy 2000 any time.

But that's me, so your milage may vary.

efj3
July 11th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Are you able to try both out in a shop to see which one feels best ?

Unfortunately, I am not. I called the only pen store I'm aware of on Long Island and both pens are special order items. I can go into NYC, but by the time I pay for the train and subways, that's about a third of the cost of a pen.

The poll says Lamy 2000 unanimously so far. My only concern how some people are saying the nib has a level of springy-ness to it. I don't really want a flex nib, and I don't mind some give, I just would prefer a consistent line.

I've been researching and checking out writing samples quite a bit and the hunt is still continuing.

dannzeman
July 11th, 2012, 01:09 PM
As one of the authors of both the reviews, I'll tell you I voted for the Vanishing Point. I really don't think one is better than the other. The reason I voted VP was because you already have so many pistons and like you said, it'd be a bit of a departure for you.

The other reason I voted for the VP is because you said you take a lot of notes. Depending on what ink I use in a pen leaving it uncapped for a few minutes can cause it to hard-start on the initial stroke. That annoys me to no end and I don't like constantly capping/uncapping a pen. The VP solves those issues by being so incredibly easy to put into use.

My only concern would be ink capacity and would recommend filling a cartridge with a syringe. As much as I dislike c/c fillers, it is super convenient to just be able to pop in a spare cartridge when you're out-and-about.

FP_GaF
July 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I think it has a gold nib, not sure if it is interchangable with your other Lamys.

The Lamy 2000 has a hooded platinum (I think) plated 14ct gold nib. It is unique to the Lamy 2000 and cannot be exchanged with other Lamys. The nib and grip section of the Lamy 2000 screws off easily and you can buy those units separately. Thus, you could have more than one nib for this pen. Nibs go from EF to Berlin or even BB.

FP_GaF
July 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM
My only concern how some people are saying the nib has a level of springy-ness to it. I don't really want a flex nib, and I don't mind some give, I just would prefer a consistent line.

There is no flex to the hooded nib. It is not a complete nail either, it has just enough "give" to it to make writing really enjoyable. I have a B-nib though and have never tested the F- or EF-nibs but I don't think you need to worry about that unless you press down as you would with a ballpoint.

To be fair, in terms of nib quality and spring and pleasure of writing both pens are on par. The decisive difference (for me) is the piston fill mechanism (large ink capacity and reliable) and Lamys build quality. I saw a post on FPN (I think) where someone dropped a Lamy 2000 from the second floor onto a concrete surface (shudder) and the pen was absolutely fine bar some minor chipping on the cap.

Granted, the click on the Pilot VP is something else. I think the clip may get in the way, though, during extended writing sessions.

Good luck making up your mind mate... :D

FP_GaF
July 11th, 2012, 01:36 PM
The other reason I voted for the VP is because you said you take a lot of notes. Depending on what ink I use in a pen leaving it uncapped for a few minutes can cause it to hard-start on the initial stroke. That annoys me to no end and I don't like constantly capping/uncapping a pen. The VP solves those issues by being so incredibly easy to put into use.

If there is one pen in the world that can compete with the VP on the "quick draw" then it is the 2000. Unsurpassed cap. Off in less than two shakes of a lambs tail but also very secure.

I really love the 2000, I admit it and maybe my view is biased. But I believe those are facts.

It is true, though, that variety is the spice in life. Now hang on a mo there, I am talking pens and nothing more, d'you hear...

dannzeman
July 11th, 2012, 02:00 PM
If there is one pen in the world that can compete with the VP on the "quick draw" then it is the 2000. Unsurpassed cap. Off in less than two shakes of a lambs tail but also very secure.

I really love the 2000, I admit it and maybe my view is biased. But I believe those are facts.

It is true, though, that variety is the spice in life. Now hang on a mo there, I am talking pens and nothing more, d'you hear...
I wholeheartedly agree with you. But, you still need two hands to do so. What I love about the VP is that it can so easily, and quickly, be operated with one hand.

FP_GaF
July 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
touché! :agree: :)

efj3
July 11th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Well, the pen is ordered.

Pictures to follow for the big reveal...

dannzeman
July 11th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I think we should start placing bets!

I've got two ink samples that says he went with the VP!!

snedwos
July 12th, 2012, 04:18 AM
I haven't got anything that will compare with that wager, or I would bet on the Lamy (simply because that's what I would have gone for).

And I want the samples.

efj3
July 13th, 2012, 12:35 PM
So it's here...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8019/7563358318_883d039211_c.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7563354238_183f28ae85_c.jpg

dannzeman
July 13th, 2012, 12:37 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/106/887/backpain-1292835351.jpg

writingrav
July 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Great choice! Though either one would've been a great choice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

outbackpengeek
July 13th, 2012, 06:18 PM
The nib and grip section of the Lamy 2000 screws off easily and you can buy those units separately. Thus, you could have more than one nib for this pen. Nibs go from EF to Berlin or even BB.

FP_GaF, do you know somewhere online I could buy the replacement Lamy 2000 nibs? I would like to change my M to an EF. I can get a shop here in Australia to do it, but they want $125, which is what I paid for the whole pen! I've searched and had no luck finding an online source.

etoyoc
July 13th, 2012, 06:34 PM
I have been looking at the stealth VP for quite a while. I am just worried about that clip location. But, I do have a Lamy 2K and it is a butter smooth medium nib. However, I never reach for it. I don't know why. I like the pen, but it really doesn't get used. Personally, I think if I were buying it again, I would get the stealth VP. But as I now recall, it was gift from my wife and I need to hold on to the 2K and use it more often.

FP_GaF
July 13th, 2012, 08:59 PM
FP_GaF, do you know somewhere online I could buy the replacement Lamy 2000 nibs? I would like to change my M to an EF. I can get a shop here in Australia to do it, but they want $125, which is what I paid for the whole pen! I've searched and had no luck finding an online source.

I am afraid I don't either. I haven't really looked around much, though, because I am very happy with my B-nib. An alternative (which has been mentioned on this forum before, too) is to get hold of a vintage Lamy 27 and use its nib unit which apparently fits on the Lamy 2000 barrel. These can be found on eBay occasionally at very good prices.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck hunting.

efj3
July 14th, 2012, 12:00 AM
So after a few hours of doodling, I'm quite happy with my choice.

The clip position doesn't bother me in the least bit. I actually like it there.
It almost reminds me of how there is a raised section in the grip of the Lamy Safari (which I really like).
It helps the pen from rotating while holding it and reinforces rather than hinders my writing position.

The Fine nib lays down a really thin line, slightly thinner than the Lamy EF I have. It also has a decent amount
of spring to it, but it acts as more of a cushion to writing rather than providing line variation. I think this might have
to do with how thin the plastic feed is underneath the nib, it definitely has more bend than a typical Lamy feed.

After all is said and done, I still don't think the Lamy 2000 is very far behind in making it's way into my collection.

rbadger332
August 1st, 2012, 07:03 AM
Nice choice! I've got a VP Matte / Stealth, and I have loved every second of it. Never had any issues with it. Just a solid reliable workhorse.