PDA

View Full Version : Any advice please on Pilot models.

ainterne
October 13th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Hi, I am a previous Pilot Namiki Falcon owner. To cut a long story short I had a conversion done on the nib and it ruined the nib.... It costs $100 for a replacement nib for the pen (its a feed and nib directly from Pilot) however, I have been spending my money on other pens recently. I wanted to buy another Pilot pen but have come across a couple of other models that I have no experience of.

Does anyone have either the Pilot NAMIKI Custom74 SF (Soft-Fine) nib 14Kt Black Fountain Pen or Pilot Fountain Pen Custom 742 Falcon Nib Black Fkk2000rbfa and can you recommend them as having more flexible nibs than the Falcon? I understand the Falcon is not fully flexible but much more so than other modern pens that I know about, unless you know of something comparable.

If I understand this correctly the Fkk2000rbfa is supposed to be a really flexible nib, but I have also seen some negative views. I can't find any consistent data. So I though I would try here as at least I know I will get a quality response.

I did originally purchase extra fine, but it can't be purchased in the gold color finish. I would be happy to get a fine this time. Most of my pens are antique flex nib pens, and I use an Ackerman daily with Manga G nibs, that I really like.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me...

Chrissy
October 14th, 2014, 04:28 AM
I have a Pilot Custom 74 F demo. Is that different to the pens you are asking about?

ainterne
October 14th, 2014, 06:21 AM
I have a Pilot Custom 74 F demo. Is that different to the pens you are asking about?

Thanks for the reply... Does it have a flexible nib? If it has, I would be interested in your thoughts about the pen and your opinion?

Thanks....Phil.

mtnbiker62
October 14th, 2014, 09:05 AM
I own a couple of Pilot Custom 74 pens: one with an EF nib and one with an F nib. They are by no means flex nibs. There are no modern flex nibs. They are springy, however.

Laura N
October 14th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I agree with Mountain Biker. The Falcon is semi-flex, but the C74 isn't -- the C74 is soft and springy. I don't know the other pen.

ainterne
October 15th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Thanks all... at the death I decided to go for a Pilot Custom 743. Its so hard to choose without having the pens in-front of me to try and compare. I wish I had a dealer close by that I could go to... That's what I miss most about living in a big city. Still, I thank you all for your input...and appreciate it. Phil.

Chris Pen
October 15th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Did you get the FA nib?