PDA

View Full Version : Goodwriters Pens New Uploads

Deb
October 14th, 2014, 01:46 PM
"Will you walk a little faster?" said a Parker to a Swan
"There's a Blackbird close behind us and he's treading on my flight
See how eagerly the Blackbirds and the Jackdaws will alight!

They are waiting on the web page - will you come and browse the site?
Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, will you come and browse the site?

Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you log onto the site (http://www.goodwriterssales.com)?"

*With apologies to Lewis Carroll

Curtisvan
October 14th, 2014, 07:33 PM
How could anyone not want to see the site? Again, I love your presentation.

Deb
October 15th, 2014, 01:23 AM
Many thanks!

Chrissy
October 15th, 2014, 03:43 AM
I browsed and am tempted. Thank you

Deb
October 15th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Thank you for visiting the site!

Curtisvan
October 15th, 2014, 09:23 PM
The parker 51 vac gold cap shows no pics

Deb
October 16th, 2014, 03:16 AM
How strange! It shows the nine photos that I uploaded, for me. Can you tell me what you're using to access the site, please?

RuiFromUK
October 16th, 2014, 03:29 AM
How strange! It shows the nine photos that I uploaded, for me. Can you tell me what you're using to access the site, please?

Just to confirm that this item #1555's images also show in my browser and I am using a very old browser.

Cob
October 16th, 2014, 03:45 AM
OK here too - browser is Chrome.

Cob

Deb
October 16th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Thanks for letting me know, Rui and Cob.

Jon Szanto
October 16th, 2014, 01:54 PM
Yep, no probs for me, XP with Chrome.

Cob
October 16th, 2014, 02:28 PM
I have just tried using IE (modernish version with Windows 8) and I cannot see the pictures.

Curiously I only use IE because I cannot upload pictures on FPGeeks in Chrome...

Grrr I think I'll go back to Firefox!

Cob

Curtisvan
October 16th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Was using safari on my iphone

Deb
October 17th, 2014, 06:29 AM
Thank you all for your input. I've done a bit of testing today. The photos opened perfectly in safari 5.1.7. In Explorer 11 they did open but took an age to get there. No problems at all in either Firefox or Opera, nor in my Huawei smartphone. With Chrome on my Nexus seven it was fine. I will pass this on to the developer to see if anything can be done about it. If anybody else wants to try any other platforms that they are using I would be very pleased to hear the results.

holgalee
October 17th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Deb, I've had problems accessing your online shop using my Samsung Note 3 and 10.1 tablet, for a few months. I used to think the site is down for maintenance due to the time difference. Anyway, the problem appears with both Chrome and the default adroid internet app. Haven't tried my pc but I assume it's ok.

Deb
October 19th, 2014, 05:43 AM
Thanks again for all your replies. I passed them to the developer and this is what she replied:

There could be several reasons why this is happening and most are out of your control. Here are some of the reasons why this happens.

1) The browser looks in the cache for existing images/files before sending out a call to the web server. The browser sometimes gets stuck at the cache.

2) Router issues anywhere along the path from web server to the person’s computer can stop the load process. (the possibility of this increases the longer the distance from the host to the person’s computer. Something that has been a concern for me considering so many of your customers are in the U.K. and the host is here in the U.S.)

3) If the person’s internet service is wireless…. wireless (more than any other internet service type), can have periodic very short disconnects. If this happens during the load process, the browser may not pick up where it left off once the service reconnects.

4) Issues on the host end.

5) A slow internet connection

6) Unusual characters in an image file name (this isn’t an issue with your site).

7) DNS settings/DNS issues. I think there’s a way to flush the DNS on regular computers to make it so that it doesn’t cause page loading issues. If interested, I can find instructions so that you can try it on the Windows 8 machine and see if that fixes the issue. The thing is, most people aren’t going to look that far into things to see if that’s what’s causing the image loading issue on their particular computer. So they’re stuck with the issue.

8) Bad network card/bad network cable/bad router

There are other reasons, but the list above is what came to mind first.

I’ve never had any problems with images loading from your site in any of my browsers here on my home computer. But I periodically have issues on other sites. It doesn’t happen that often and refreshing the browser always fixes it.

I do also have periodic issues with your site and other sites when using my Android phone. Refreshing the browser fixes it. I have more issues with my phone than I do with my home computer. But the phone connection is wireless so I expect there to be dropouts sometimes and the issues that come with it.

I don’t think I’ve seen any problems yet using the Samsung tablet. But I don’t use it that much for the internet either.

For the customers who tested the issue and for the tests you ran, did refreshing the browser help at all?

hardlined
October 19th, 2014, 06:49 AM
I'll throw my 2 cents (pence I suppose now since I've moved) into the technical side of things. While all those replies from the developer are technically feasible they are unlikely to be the cause of multiple people having issues.

I took a quick look and there are some issues with the code that is presented to the browser, which can cause compatibility issues with different browsers (it works fine for me in Chrome 40 on Win7).

Ask your developer to fix these issues. (http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.goodwriterssales.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0) (link to a validation service of the html)

That should hopefully clear up some of the issues. You can also use a browser rending service like http://browsershots.org/ or https://browserling.com. They all have some level of free service.

Anyway I don't mean to pull the thread too off topic, those are some beautiful pens and I am trying not to visit the site too much until next week when it's payday. :spy:

holgalee
October 19th, 2014, 10:24 AM
Hardlined sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :)

I only know the site no longer opens in my Android phone's two browsers, and even Chrome on my pc. I've got fiber network 200mbps so that can't be an issue, especially with a site that used to load for me. The message I get on Chrome is "This webpage is not available" which I may get only once in a blue moon. I'm from Singapore, if that matters.

Hope this gets sorted out soon, Deb.

hardlined
October 19th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Hardlined sounds like he knows what he's talking about. :)

I only know the site no longer opens in my Android phone's two browsers, and even Chrome on my pc. I've got fiber network 200mbps so that can't be an issue, especially with a site that used to load for me. The message I get on Chrome is "This webpage is not available" which I may get only once in a blue moon. I'm from Singapore, if that matters.

Hope this gets sorted out soon, Deb.

The webpage not showing up at all in any of your devices does sound like some kind of connection problem, wouldn't be caused by bad code, are you able to browse the site via a proxy of some sort like http://www.ninjacloak.com/ ?

Cob
October 19th, 2014, 01:23 PM
For what it's worth I have returned after a few months to Firefox. Deb's site is perfect here on Chrome and Firefox, but as I said I had problems on IE.

Cob

Deb
October 19th, 2014, 01:41 PM
Thanks all, particularly hardlined! I'll refer the developer to this thread.

Deb
October 29th, 2014, 01:31 PM
The developer has responded:
"The images issue has nothing to do with anything you’ve done. It was all about the raw code. I’m glad your customer pointed out the validator. I should have run your site through the validator once your site was finished, but I completely overlooked that as part of the process. I’m a little embarrassed that your customer pointed that out. Now that the code is fixed, if there were any issues resulting from it, then the issues won’t happen again. The question at this point is whether or not any of those errors (image errors or otherwise) were causing the issues with the images not loading. When you ask your customers to check the site, please ask them to refresh their browser so that the browser reads in the newest pages and not anything that’s cached on their computer. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my code edits have fixed the issue."