PDA

View Full Version : Pens for the Outdoors

fountainpenkid
October 15th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Hi all,
Has anyone had experience with fountain pens on outdoor trips? Does anyone know if there any fountain pens that could be considered water resistant? What about humidity or heat resistant? I hiked for 10 days in Utah a few years ago with a vintage Faber-Castell Higgins pen, and it went quite well--however, I didn't keep the pen on me at all times, not exposing it to water or great heat. I would expect different results if I had kept a more frequent in-the-moment journal with it. I would expect pens with screw caps to be more likely to be water resistant, and of those the ones without clips or whose clips are sectioned off from the nib by an inner cap. The only underwater submersion experiences I've had were when pens of mine have gone through the wash (accidentally of course ;)) . My 1st gen black Vacumatic bled everywhere, the section came apart, and the filler failed. My Pelikan m400 fared much better, although it was almost empty, and was ready to write when I uncapped it!

Thanks!

Waski_the_Squirrel
October 15th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure if many are designed for this. The two that spring to mind are the Kaweco Sport and the Lamy Safari. Both are rugged, simple pens. More importantly, they're fairly inexpensive if disaster does occur.

GING GING
October 15th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I would add the Schrade tactical fountain pen to Waskis list, because of its durability. I think all FPs would meet a similar fate once submerged

RayCornett
October 15th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Cigar tubes. Get a couple from your local tobacconist. They are metal and have tight screw on caps. Better yet, a cigar saver which is more air tight because it is made to keep a cigar fresh longer.......and most of them have a pen type clip.

GING GING
October 16th, 2014, 10:29 AM
That's a great idea. I have a metal cigar tube. I'll give it a wirl

johnus
October 18th, 2014, 12:41 PM
For outside and office work I was always a fan of the Disposable fountain pens. Come in boxes of variable quantity. No great sorrow if lost or broken, and the ink doesn't seem to dry out. You might want to try the BIC Disposable.
(At ~2$ each, take a few with you)

GING GING
October 18th, 2014, 05:40 PM
For outside and office work I was always a fan of the Disposable fountain pens. Come in boxes of variable quantity. No great sorrow if lost or broken, and the ink doesn't seem to dry out. You might want to try the BIC Disposable.
(At ~2$ each, take a few with you)

This was the best idea yet

KrazyIvan
October 20th, 2014, 09:05 PM
Karas Kustoms INK. Solid Aluminum.

jar
October 21st, 2014, 07:12 AM
I was lucky enough to spend a couple decades doing computer programming and network support for field biologists and I can say from experience that the best writing tool outdoors is a wood pencil and "field note" pads. It can be sharpened with a rock, is water proof, not effected by temperature or humidity and light enough to carry an heir and a spare.

fountainpenkid
October 21st, 2014, 02:55 PM
I was lucky enough to spend a couple decades doing computer programming and network support for field biologists and I can say from experience that the best writing tool outdoors is a wood pencil and "field note" pads. It can be sharpened with a rock, is water proof, not effected by temperature or humidity and light enough to carry an heir and a spare.
Yes, a pencil is the most practical by far, but if you wanted the experience of a fountain pen on a hiking trip for instance, what would you choose?

jar
October 21st, 2014, 05:50 PM
Yes, a pencil is the most practical by far, but if you wanted the experience of a fountain pen on a hiking trip for instance, what would you choose?

A wood pencil.

tandaina
October 21st, 2014, 06:04 PM
I'd take a wood pencil as well. That's just not something I want to mess with if I'm hiking. Weight is a premium when backpacking, a simple wood pencil and a small notebook, that's it.

jar
October 21st, 2014, 06:29 PM
I'd take a wood pencil as well. That's just not something I want to mess with if I'm hiking. Weight is a premium when backpacking, a simple wood pencil and a small notebook, that's it.

And if you have a wood pencil you can always just break it in half and give half to the person that wanted to experience a fountain pen while hiking.