PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a good purple ink with shading.

Wrathen
October 17th, 2014, 09:22 AM
So I'm interested in finding a good purple ink with shading. I like the color pallet of the Private Reserve DC Super Violet but it doesnt seem to have any shading to it. Anyone have any recommendations for inks I should look at?

PS I like wetter inks.

Thank you in advance

Laura N
October 17th, 2014, 09:31 AM
I like Waterman Purple. I'm not sure about shading, off the top of my head, but usually Waterman inks shade, so it's worth a look.

Diamine has a few good purples: I think Imperial Purple is the one I like best.

Both are on the wetter side.

Lady Onogaro
October 17th, 2014, 09:35 AM
I have been using a Monteverde purple cartridge in my Lamy (Monteverde makes cartridges for Lamy pens), and it has nice shading. I also like Pelikan Violet and DeAtramentis Magenta Violet.

reprieve
October 17th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Herbin Violette Pensée is a bit bluer than PR DC Violet, but it has a lot of nice shading and it's in a similar violet color palette. Also, Iroshizuku Murasaki Shikibu has some decent shading although it's not quite as dark and rich (not as saturated--which is why it shades more) as the PR ink. The Sheaffer and Waterman purple inks are pretty nice, too.

Cob
October 17th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I have Waterman's Tender Purple and Sheaffer's which is a sort of violet. Obviously results will depend to a certain extent on your hand and of course your nib and the flow characteristics of your pen.

I have just done a dip test with these two inks, using a Swan pen fitted at present with a firm stub nib. The Waterman's is the more saturated of the two and darker. On the other hand, I think that with a wet flexible nib, the Sheaffer's ink would give nice results - quite subtle I should say.

Best of luck.

Cob

Waski_the_Squirrel
October 17th, 2014, 07:01 PM
I like Noodler's Purple Heart and Noodler's Mata Hari's Cordial. Purple Heart is a dark purple but has nice shading. The Cordial is a lighter purple, and in the pens I've used shows decent shading.

I'm not sure where it falls, but Pilot Iroshizuku is a nice purple with shading as well.

But, keep in mind that I'm not an artist at all, so my definition of purple is probably a lot more broad than that of most artists.

VertOlive
January 15th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Love J Herbin's "Poussiere de Lune". My favorite purple.

The Good Captain
January 16th, 2015, 01:37 AM
Montblanc Lavender Purple and possible Pelikan 4001 Violet are reasonable, depending on the nib, of course.

Chrissy
January 16th, 2015, 03:50 AM
I like Waterman Purple, Montblanc Lavender Purple, J Herbin Poussiere de lune and PI Yama-budo