PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Lanyard/guard Information

Cepasaccus
October 17th, 2014, 05:15 PM
I would like to make a lanyard/guard like the old pieces. Unfortunately it is really difficult to get either a real one or find someone who has a real one and can provide some information about it. I would like to try my luck here.

I have looked closely at all photos I found, but what I do not fully (or at all) understand is:

- I know there were movable "sliders". Hence the name. Where there also unmovable "sliders"?
- How and where is the ribbon sewn? Most seem to be closed loops. So the ends must have been sewn together, but this point probably does not fit through the slider. Was the ribbon also sewn together to immobilize the springring?

I would greatly appreciate any photos or hands-on information! Thanks!

I have found some old ribbon, but until I find good information I will stay with my plastic ribbon lanyard.

Cepasaccus

Crazyorange
October 18th, 2014, 05:13 AM
I have two old lanyards with its slider. Probably from the 20's. The slider moves and the lanyard is a closed loop. Want pics?

Polyhistor
October 18th, 2014, 05:13 AM
That's a lanyard for a ringtop pen, right? Don't know whether much sewing needs to be done (I haven't seen any originals, will google ...). A fixed metal cuff like on your plastic lanyard would do perfectly well – or did I get your question wrong altogether?

I've been thinking about making customized ringtop lanyards of leather or webbing and leather, so close-up pics of originals from would be great for me too.

Cheers,
Adam

Cepasaccus
October 18th, 2014, 06:04 AM
I have two old lanyards with its slider. Probably from the 20's. The slider moves and the lanyard is a closed loop. Want pics?

That would be great!

Crazyorange
October 18th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Here's the pics. The first pen is lebeouf. The silk ribbon is sewn together at the place where the ends meet. The slide can come off the ribbon. The clip has a slide shape clip so the ribbon doesn't get twisted144361443714438

The next pen is Peter Pan. The slide is tight and won't come off the ribbon. The ribbon ends are sewn together at the pen clip. Once again the pen clip is ribbon shaped. 1443914440

If you need more just ask. I love showing off my pens :)

Cepasaccus
October 18th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the photos!

Here's the pics. The first pen is lebeouf. The silk ribbon is sewn together at the place where the ends meet. The slide can come off the ribbon. The clip has a slide shape clip so the ribbon doesn't get twisted
What do you mean with "sewn together at the place where the ends meet"? Just "There is the ribbon with its two cut of ends, which are sewn together to form a loop" or also that it is at the side of the slide where the clip is not? The slide is on the inside just round?

The next pen is Peter Pan. The slide is tight and won't come off the ribbon. The ribbon ends are sewn together at the pen clip. Once again the pen clip is ribbon shaped.
Is the spring ring movable withhin the space the slide provides? Or is it sewn fixed?

If you need more just ask. I love showing off my pens :)
And showing off your lanyards. :)

Could you please also post some photos where the sewing is shown?

Thanks!

Crazyorange
October 18th, 2014, 08:47 AM
I'll post more pics when I get out of work.

Cepasaccus
October 18th, 2014, 12:36 PM
I am looking so long for good information. Some hours really don't make a difference.

Crazyorange
October 22nd, 2014, 09:24 AM
Sorry....better late than never. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/35b6ff1c9352963baa30e4a2e4a40962.jpg
The Peter Pan is sewn at the clip. It can't slide. Seen in place. Hope you can see it
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/f947f57e271013ebf78fad2c5acf3720.jpg
The lebeouf just has its ends sewn together. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/c006bd64e7205cb16b745469476a3d09.jpghttp://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/22/31cf23014f0a47630d8415631a17d017.jpg
The clip can move around.

Need more info just ask :)

Cepasaccus
October 23rd, 2014, 01:20 AM
These photos are great! Thank you very much!

And btw. the Peter Pan is a very funny pen.

Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus
June 30th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Got an original Waterman's guard. Will post pictures. I didn't realize, that at the spring ring with a "cuff" the "cuff" is used to pull back the closure. The ribbon is closed at the spring ring.

Cepasaccus

Crazyorange
June 30th, 2015, 07:26 PM
I would love to see it.

Cepasaccus
July 1st, 2015, 01:06 PM
Here it is.

Length of the folded ribbon only: 57.7cm
Total length including spring ring: 59.0cm
Width of ribbon: 8mm

The ribbon is twisted once, just like modern lanyards. Because of this, the slider can't be removed.
The slider is rather easily movable, but so light, that it does not move due to gravity.
The end of the ribbon is sawn together near the ring. I have made a drawing in the second photo. Green is the ribbon with front at the bottom. With pink and red is the area marked, where all is sewn together.

Cepasaccus

Crazyorange
July 1st, 2015, 02:17 PM
I wonder why a pen company doesn't revive this style. It's so handy to wear one around your neck.

Cepasaccus
July 1st, 2015, 02:19 PM
Maybe the upper layer is also tucked in. It would make sense, but I cannot really see it.

Cepasaccus
July 1st, 2015, 02:36 PM
Maybe the reason for not offering pen lanyards is the current usability? With that length the pen is dangling between my legs if I sit down. With a smaller woman the pen is probably more like dangling below the legs. So I assume, that they needed a pocket where the pen was put when it was not used. Especially when walking around this would really be good. This pocket might be nowadays the problem. The lanyard is not long enough for me to put the pen into my jeans' pockets. The only option would be a shirt pocket. This is indeed a good option, but shirt pockets are not that common today. Not even all my shirts have pockets.

And otherwise ... it is probably just not fashionable at the moment.

FredRydr
July 10th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Correction below.

FredRydr
July 12th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Richard Binder makes these lanyards (a/k/a "sautoir") to order in vintage style. Here is the link: (http://www.richardspens.com/?acc=sautoir) http://www.richardspens.com/?acc=sautoir

Fred

Susan3141
July 12th, 2015, 08:37 PM
This isn't a lanyard, but it seems safer than one. It's a neck loop pen slot from Franklin-Christoph. I'm trying to decide if these are just too geeky (the modern person's pocket protector) or genius. I want one. http://www.franklin-christoph.com/neck-loop-pen-slot.html

Cepasaccus
September 25th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Made today my first proper lanyard. It is for a Waterman's Ideal 42 1/2 V in black with a 9kt gold band hallmarked 1927/28.

The ribbon is a modern plastic ribbon. I have chosen it because of its robustness compared to vintage silk ribbon. It also doesn't look bad and can be easily glued. So no fine stitches necessary. The folding of the ribbon is like my original Waterman's lanyard. Both ends are folded in (not just one) as I believe now is the case with my original lanyard. The length is a bit over 40cm folded.

Because I can't get 9kt in Germany, I used for all metal 8kt gold. I replaced the original ring of the pen because it has lost all its gold plating. Replacement ring and bolt ring are yellow gold, perhaps a bit light. The wire I used for the double ring is also supposed to be yellow gold, but it has a faint reddish hue which would fit well to the cap band. The solder I made is a light yellow gold, so color is not really uniform depending on the lighting. The bolt ring is with "border", but unlike the original bolt ring it is not used to operate the bolt.

The cost for all materials for this one lanyard was 17 Euro.

Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus
September 25th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I did not build a slide for this lanyard as it is not long enough to need one and the original slide is sliding down when worn, so that I don't know yet how I should make a slide.

The metal parts I bought from www.goldschmiedebedarf.de, but I am sure there are lot of other suppliers. The parts are:

- Bolt Ring 7mm 8ct Yellow Gold (7mm is the outer diameter of the bolt ring without attachments)
- Gold-Wire 1mm 8ct Yellow Gold (I used 2cm for the double ring, but additional length makes bending of the wire easier)
- Gold Solder 8ct Yellow Gold Hard (Made this myself. You need only tiny amounts for this.)

And as a replacement ring for the pen:

- Jump Ring Round (Open) 6mm 8ct Yellow Gold (6mm is the outer diameter. The wire itself is 1mm thick. So it can be also the wire from above used to make the ring. The original ring has a diameter of nearly 7mm and a wire thickness of 1.5mm, but I felt that a bit thinner looked better.)

And obviously some tools (flame, flux, pliers, etc.) are necessary.

Cepasaccus

Crazyorange
September 26th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Made today my first proper lanyard. It is for a Waterman's Ideal 42 1/2 V in black with a 9kt gold band hallmarked 1927/28.

The ribbon is a modern plastic ribbon. I have chosen it because of its robustness compared to vintage silk ribbon. It also doesn't look bad and can be easily glued. So no fine stitches necessary. The folding of the ribbon is like my original Waterman's lanyard. Both ends are folded in (not just one) as I believe now is the case with my original lanyard. The length is a bit over 40cm folded.

Because I can't get 9kt in Germany, I used for all metal 8kt gold. I replaced the original ring of the pen because it has lost all its gold plating. Replacement ring and bolt ring are yellow gold, perhaps a bit light. The wire I used for the double ring is also supposed to be yellow gold, but it has a faint reddish hue which would fit well to the cap band. The solder I made is a light yellow gold, so color is not really uniform depending on the lighting. The bolt ring is with "border", but unlike the original bolt ring it is not used to operate the bolt.

The cost for all materials for this one lanyard was 17 Euro.

Cepasaccus

Impressive. Just like the vintages one. Great work.

Cepasaccus
September 26th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks!

I did the double ring like in the drawing on the left. But there is the solder and the little step visible on the big ring. With the middle variant this would be hidden by the ribbon. There is also the possibility to do this with one wire. I think I have seen this on old lanyards. It works perhaps even without soldering, but this is difficult to form.

Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus
October 6th, 2015, 03:30 PM
Got 9kt gold stuff from UK. The color fits much better. When I have found again my 9kt solder I will make the middle type of the double ring.

Cepasaccus

Cepasaccus
October 25th, 2015, 04:12 PM
That is now the 9ct stuff which has a much better color. I also managed to do the soldering better.

Crazyorange
October 27th, 2015, 06:09 AM
Big improvement. Looks fabulous.

Cepasaccus
October 27th, 2015, 03:23 PM
Thanks! I made this comparison of boltrings.

From left to right: 18kt yellow gold, 8kt yellow gold (that was my first attempt), 9kt yellow gold (this is the second version), 9kt red gold, sterling silver, sterling swivel, sterling ring.

The swivel is the easy way to make a lanyard, because you just need to add the ribbon.

Cepasaccus