PDA

View Full Version : Pelikan m605 marine blue v custom heritage 92

Rusty888
October 18th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Hi all.

Looking at getting a blue demonstrator and unsure about these two pens.

Have also considered the sailor pro gear sky however it's a cartridge and was looking at piston fillers.

What would you get and why. 14445

Quantum Sailor
October 18th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I personally would go for the Pelikan, simply because I find the piston demonstrator more interesting than the converter demonstrator. I've used both Pelikan and Sailor and both have nice nibs on them. I like the shape of the Pelikan more though. In full disclosure I have a Pelikan m605 for sale but I think if you look around you can find deals right now on them that beat what I could do on mine. It seems a few places put them on clearance really cheap.

Waski_the_Squirrel
October 19th, 2014, 12:04 AM
Is that a 92 in the picture? My 92 is a piston pen which I like very much, by the way.

Frankly, I like the Pilot because it is more discreet and doesn't look expensive to the casual eye, but it gives a great writing experience.

Rusty888
October 19th, 2014, 12:57 AM
Is that a 92 in the picture? My 92 is a piston pen which I like very much, by the way.

Frankly, I like the Pilot because it is more discreet and doesn't look expensive to the casual eye, but it gives a great writing experience.

The sailor is the top picture. Then the pilot then the pelikan. Hard to arrange off a mobile. Pilot is discreet I do have a custom 74 but am looking at venturing to wanting a pelikan.

As an FYI.
Prices can be sailor 230, pelikan 290, pilot 140

Rusty888
October 19th, 2014, 01:03 AM
I personally would go for the Pelikan, simply because I find the piston demonstrator more interesting than the converter demonstrator. I've used both Pelikan and Sailor and both have nice nibs on them. I like the shape of the Pelikan more though. In full disclosure I have a Pelikan m605 for sale but I think if you look around you can find deals right now on them that beat what I could do on mine. It seems a few places put them on clearance really cheap.

Thanks. That's why I've avoided the sailor. I have enough sailor currently
1911m with zoom
Pro gear slim
Black luster
However they all use converters.

So I'm tossing up between the pelikan and the pilot heritage. The price is irrelevant though I just want the better pen for me. The pelikan will be an extra $100 and I'm ok if it's a better pen but to my knowledge they are both just plastic inside.

Any difference in nibs?

alc3261
October 19th, 2014, 02:57 AM

Thanks. That's why I've avoided the sailor. I have enough sailor currently
1911m with zoom
Pro gear slim
Black luster
However they all use converters.

So I'm tossing up between the pelikan and the pilot heritage. The price is irrelevant though I just want the better pen for me. The pelikan will be an extra $100 and I'm ok if it's a better pen but to my knowledge they are both just plastic inside.

Any difference in nibs?
The Pilot and Pelikan nibs are both very nice, obviously the Pilots will run finer.

Rusty888
October 19th, 2014, 03:52 AM
[/QUOTE]
The Pilot and Pelikan nibs are both very nice, obviously the Pilots will run finer.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't thinking of the broad pilot or the medium pelikan. I just can't decide.

Their retail price is vastly different. 650 v 270 so I'm thinking I'm missing why the pelikan is soo much more. Otherwise to me they are both gold nips and plastic hardware inside for the piston

Laura N
October 19th, 2014, 09:27 AM
I bought the Pelikan for $295, a deal that is still available from Pen Boutique and possibly also Fountain Pen Hospital, both excellent stores and authorized US dealers allowing service at Chartpak if necessary.

Why is the Pelikan much more? It's made in Germany, it has a reputation for quality, they have good service, you can swap the nibs, and this pen has expensive touches like a rhodanized nib and palladium-plated clip and rings. Mostly, because Pelikan decided to charge more. It's a different pen, from a different company with a totally different marketing strategy than Pilot.

The Pelikan is a beauty. Whoever said it wasn't discreet can't have seen the pen. Although it doesn't come across in photos, this is a very dark cobalt pen. The material is very shiny and attractive, so people might notice it, I suppose, but it's very sober and does not call attention to itself. In fact, it's so discreet it's not actually a demonstrator. The plastic is very dark. It is merely translucent, and if you hold it up to the light you can see the ink, and you can see the outline of the piston. Note that Pelikan doesn't call it a demonstrator. You can read what Pelikan says about it here (http://www.pelikan.com/pulse/Pulsar/en_US_INTL.FWI.displayShop.180094./souver%C3%A4n-605-marine-blue).

I have never tried that Pilot. I think Pilots are good quality pens as well. I personally would always choose a Sailor over a Pilot, because I prefer their nibs, other than the Custom 823 nib. The Pelikan obviously was my first choice, and I'm glad it went on sale. It's one of my favorite Pelikans.

I think for you, if you really want a demonstrator, in blue, with a piston filler, your only choice of these three is the Pilot, because it's the only one that meets all your criteria.

Waski_the_Squirrel
October 19th, 2014, 01:16 PM

The sailor is the top picture. Then the pilot then the pelikan. Hard to arrange off a mobile. Pilot is discreet I do have a custom 74 but am looking at venturing to wanting a pelikan.

It must have been the mobile thing. Yesterday there were only two pictures: the first one and the Pelikan. I just thought that you had the wrong picture. Today, the Pilot is showing up, whether you fixed something or it wasn't coming through yesterday (I was also downloading a huge update for the computer).

I still suggest the Pilot. I don't have much Sailor experience. Pelikans are nice, but I just don't like the looks of the higher-end ones.

tandaina
October 19th, 2014, 02:00 PM
Pelikan hands down. I so want that Pelikan, but just don't have the money right now. :(

If you want a cheaper option the Pelikan M205 blue demo is beautiful and can be had much more cheaply than the M600 version. Posts well so really isn't that small.

Chris Pen
October 19th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Does your new pen need to be a blue demonstrator?

If not, I would throw the Pilot custom 823 into the mix. It's still cheaper that the Pelikan and has some very interesting nib options, if you order from Japan.

reygan
October 28th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I have both, & would say that the Pelikan has a smoother nib, and is wetter than Pilot. That being said, my Pilot 92 gets more use than the Pelikan. Why? The Pilot writes a thinner line and having a but of nib feedback alpows me to control my strokes more, making my writing more beautiful. thata juat me though. For beauty, hands down its Pelikan. For practical use, the Pilot gets the prize.