PDA

View Full Version : Woodcase Pencils

Bogon07
October 20th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Some time ago I thought I spotted some Palomino Blackwing pencils in Dymocks in Sydney. The next time I went I could not find them among the other pencil after the shop had a slight re-organisation. Today I found them again - next to the fountain pen inks.
From previous shopping expeditions - a Faber-Castell 2B Tri-grip type pens (very comfortable to hold) & a BIC Evolution HB recycled pencil.

migo984
October 20th, 2014, 11:24 PM
Some time ago I thought I spotted some Palomino Blackwing pencils in Dymocks in Sydney. The next time I went I could not find them among the other pencil after the shop had a slight re-organisation. Today I found them again - next to the fountain pen inks.
From previous shopping expeditions - a Faber-Castell 2B Tri-grip type pens (very comfortable to hold) & a BIC Evolution HB recycled pencil.

I have a small collection of wood case pencils & my modern Palomino Blackwings (Blackwing, 602 & Pearl), easily match the best of the rest, like the wonderful Mitsubishi Hi-Uni. My real treasure though is my unsharpened original Eberhard Faber Blackwing 602.

"Half the pressure, twice the speed" :)

Bogon07
October 21st, 2014, 04:19 AM
I haven't spotted much in the way of Japanese wood pencils in Australia - I must recheck Kinokuniya again but I don't recall seeing any there.

Yes, I'm a bit intimidated to sharpen those Blackwings. Although I really should so they could fit in the pencil case. Interesting they don't show the hardness of them either.

The two Koh-I-Nor Hardtmuth Progresso are unbelievably heavy being solid graphite with a coat of paint and no wood.
Also one of my YSDC Yog-Sothoth pencils all black and menacing in a most eldritch fashion.

Bogon07
October 21st, 2014, 08:15 PM
Kinokuniya did have some Mitsu-bishi Uni pencils in a limited range of lead grades. Along with some Blackwings, erasers & an expensive two-hole sharpener.

Farmboy
October 23rd, 2014, 11:01 PM

Now you just need a real Blackwing...