PDA

View Full Version : Just wow ...

Wrathen
October 21st, 2014, 02:06 PM
So I'm not sure where to put this comment (and maybe I should keep it to myself) but I got a Pilot Vanishing Point (ef) binderized yesterday in the mail. This is my first Vanishing Point, first gold nib, and first Binderized pen. I'm not sure which to attribute my enjoyment too.... but all in all I'm very amazed with this pen. Even though its a SUPER find line once I got used to the sweet spot on the nib there is no scratching it just glides across the page.

The line is just as tight and thin as my old Pilot G2 .38s I used to write with before switching to fountain pens a month or more ago now. The balance of the VP is perfect and its a job to write with. I was worried I wouldnt like the clip but the way I hold the pen there is no issue with it.

Laura N
October 21st, 2014, 02:31 PM
It's the nib -- no matter where you buy it, it's amazingly smooth. I'm sure Richard Binder made sure you had a good one, too, and would have adjusted anything that wasn't perfect. I had the same reaction to my first VP. My medium and broad VP nibs had a bit of softness and bounce -- does the EF have that, too?

LagNut
October 21st, 2014, 05:52 PM
+1 on the nibs.

I have fines and they are just a joy to write with, a really fine line, and responsive.

I do think the gold is part of it, though. I have steel nibs, and while they are nice, its just not as responsive.

I have other nibs that are as smooth, but the line width is inevitably double.

Mike

velo
October 22nd, 2014, 01:00 AM
Love mine. Use it everyday. My medium nib lays down a nice inky line without going overboard.

jde
October 22nd, 2014, 09:19 AM
There's nothing like a well-tuned VP/Decimo nib!

Congratulations.

Wrathen
October 22nd, 2014, 01:42 PM
My medium and broad VP nibs had a bit of softness and bounce -- does the EF have that, too?

Yes indeed! Im very happy it makes me want to get another VP (or at least another NIB assemble) with a different size NIB. I also thought it would be cool to have a cursive italic VP.

LagNut
October 23rd, 2014, 09:18 AM
I've got one. And a architects (or Hebrew/,Arabic) italic. Very fun.

This is another of the good points of the VP - very easy to swap out nibs.

I still love the <F> nib best, though.

Cheers
Mike

rgperedo
October 23rd, 2014, 10:40 PM
I have a VP with a steel nib and it is without a doubt one of the smoothest writers I own.