PDA

View Full Version : New Hobonichi Techo User

Lady Onogaro
October 22nd, 2014, 08:40 AM
So I got bit by the Hobonichi Techo bug and bought one, and it was delivered on Saturday. I have been looking at the site for ideas of how to use it beyond a date book, but it would be great to have some pointers or suggestions from those of you who use it already. Are there inks you can't recommend? Are there uses that are not immediately apparent? What hasn't worked for you? Any of this information would be interesting to me and fun to discuss. I'm looking to get the most out of it.

KrazyIvan
October 22nd, 2014, 06:02 PM
Mine is used as a daily journal/appointment book/travel journal/expense tracker/smash book.

tandaina
October 22nd, 2014, 06:28 PM
Hobonichi uses Tomoe River paper. So pretty much any ink is fine. It won't feather, it won't bleed, but dark colors and wide wet nibs may produce show through.

I've water colored in mine, no problems. I stamp, use fountain pens (big with fat italic nibs), no issues. The paper is bulletproof. I use mine as a planner, todo list, dairy. Really an all in one daily life recorder. If you really want to get inspired by creative folks look for the Tumblr groups, Instagram users, or the Facebook groups dedicated to the Hobonichi. Quiet a cult following and a lot of very artistic people using it.

tandaina
October 22nd, 2014, 06:29 PM
Forgot ot add: be very careful. Washi tape seems to be attracted to Hobonichis like ink to a fountain pen. And Washi tape is every bit as addicting as fountain pens and ink. Maybe more, because it is so much cheaper!

da vinci
October 24th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Depending on the size of your handwriting, bullet journaling may be a way forward. Sorry that I cannot provide a link but a quick search on here or Google will get you what you need.

tandaina
October 24th, 2014, 12:35 PM
So if no one laughs at my silly pages. Here's some examples of how I use mine.

My book is a combination date book/calendar (really just for ease of seeing and looking back. My calendar is in Google Calendar and that's what I really use to schedule and plan. This is more of a recording device because looking back on the computer is just not as helpful for me.), a todo list (again, I also use an electronic GTD app, but I find writing things down helps) and a journal.

I started just using fountain pens but discovered I loved using different colors, and needed finer nibs for recoding and room. So I've got a bunch of .3mm gel pens in a thousand colors and I use fountain pens as well. (Never had any ink be a problem. Some inks take longer to dry on Tomoe river paper so I keep a kleenex handy as blotting paper if I need to close the book or move to the next page quickly). I also was introduced to washi tape through Hobonichi and... I'm sort of hooked.

I print photos on our regular printer, but size them small and tape them into the book with Washi tape. Some days are just pictures. Many days no pictures. Some days I have multiple pictures and sort of tape them in like a pop up book and continue writing underneath them (lift the photo so see the writing!) Honestly the uses are endless. When I was painting a room I taped the chosen paint samples in and recorded room dimensions so I could go to the store and get paint and be all organized (the gal working the paint counter was very impressed)

I record the weather daily, cause I like to be able to see trends when I flip back. When I'm learning a new habit at the top of each page that habit will be listed with check boxes. That gives me motivation to do it, and reminds me of it! Once the habit is set i'll stop recording, but if it starts to lag then back on the page it goes.

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-zLwKC9q/0/XL/i-zLwKC9q-XL.jpg

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-Wqp6PRB/0/XL/i-Wqp6PRB-XL.jpg

http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-qL5Fh2Q/0/XL/i-qL5Fh2Q-XL.jpg

And I discovered all these adorable little Japanese journal stickers and well, my girly side went crazy. ;) So yes, stickers galore, tape, color. Love it.
http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-mbDWx9f/0/XL/i-mbDWx9f-XL.jpg

The Hobonichi does *not* work as a bullet journal for me, but maybe that's just me. I'd need a blank book to make the bullet journal work. But honestly it is so flexible I don't mind.

Here's the month view, I decorate my months because, well why not? Big things that I need to do that month I do record over there on the side sorta bullet journalish.
http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-DR8mJkJ/0/XL/i-DR8mJkJ-XL.jpg

The very start of the book has the days of the month listed down, two months per page. I find this handy for a journal of horse keeping. I record farrier visits, vet, and short descriptions of our rides/training so I can have a 10,000 foot view overview. As you can see I've really, really been inconsistent with my riding this summer. I love this view for something specific like this as it makes it SO easy to see patterns.
http://tandaina.smugmug.com/photos/i-B3cqWCf/0/XL/i-B3cqWCf-XL.jpg

So that's how I use mine. I hope it helps? I've yet to find an ink that doesn't behave well. I use all sorts of funny gel/metallic pens. I've even used watercolors (though I'm a horrid painter) with no issues. So have fun, the sky really is the limit!

Lady Onogaro
October 24th, 2014, 02:15 PM
Wow! That is so cool! Thank you for sharing. It does help. I can see that it will be fun to look back on over time. (And I also see what you mean about Washi tape.) Mine is going to be loaded with Choo Choo Cat stickers and tape.

tandaina
October 24th, 2014, 04:27 PM
I went crazy on a Japanese Etsy store when we got our kitten. I bought *all* the cat stickers and most days now have at least one to go along with her milestones and antics. Some days are really beautiful and artistic, some days are just business. I love it, love flipping back through, it really helps me remember things so much better. :)

Lady Onogaro
October 24th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I started turning to to-do lists and writing everything down this past year when menopause memory hit me hard. So I got the kitty stickers thinking if I had to go through the whole menopause memory, I might as well enjoy it!

cancoi
October 29th, 2014, 05:31 AM
I can't take my Techo to any craft store...it just pulls me to the washi tape!

allanorn
October 29th, 2014, 09:58 AM
So if no one laughs at my silly pages. Here's some examples of how I use mine.

Excellent. I may need to pick one up. Is that the A5 or A6 size? That's my only sticking point.

tandaina
October 29th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Mine is the A6, the original smaller size and the ONLY size in English. I wanted English. And honestly I way prefer the smaller size. The larger size I wouldn't carry with me. THe A6 is plenty big enough for me.

allanorn
October 29th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Mine is the A6, the original smaller size and the ONLY size in English. I wanted English. And honestly I way prefer the smaller size. The larger size I wouldn't carry with me. THe A6 is plenty big enough for me.

Fantastic, thank you. I'm horribly spacially inept. I actually cut a piece of paper from a pad to A6 just to see how large it would be; I think I can make it work. :)

ypsilanti
October 29th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I want to see the pictures too! The links are broken. Is it something weird on my end, or did you take them down, tandaina?

LagNut
October 30th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I'm seeing the links still.

Tandainia, thanks much for these. I'm continuously working on my work journals, and taping things in might just be something I try. The Washi tape is probably a little too XX for me, but the concept would fix some issues.

Thanks
Mike

spotted and speckled
October 30th, 2014, 08:49 AM
I can only see the 1st 2 pictures.

I was looking at some of these planners on pinterest and I went out & bought some washi tape. Think that it will work well as dividers and visual aid reminders.

tandaina
October 30th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Weird I will go check my site, maybe Smugmug is down or something.

tandaina
October 30th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Are they still not showing? The site is up, privacy settings haven't changed. No reason they shouldn't be working! (I can see them but that could be cache)

Lady Onogaro
October 30th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I still see all of them, T.

LagNut
October 30th, 2014, 06:39 PM
I hope I was clear, but I fear not.

I see all the pictures, even the one with the white food disposal unit.

I'm assuming that doesn't come with the stationary.

tandaina
October 30th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I hope I was clear, but I fear not.

I see all the pictures, even the one with the white food disposal unit.

I'm assuming that doesn't come with the stationary.

That fluffy food disposal unit is most definitely extra. But she does have a bonus "shred" mode!

bogiesan
December 6th, 2015, 07:15 PM
I know this thread is a few years old, Lady T. Wondering how you got on with your Techo and if you've stuck with the system through 2015 or purchased a 2016 unit.