PDA

View Full Version : Pens were stolen

Rusty888
October 25th, 2014, 07:45 AM
So I had the unfortunate experience of most of my good pens being stolen.

Someone broke into my car and took my work bag. Funny thing is they probably just wanted my laptop however I now have to start the collection again.

Pens stolen
Mont Blanc starwalker midnight metal fine nib
Sailor 1911 black luster limited edition medium nib
Lamy all-star medium nib.
Sailor pro gear matte black.

So the collection needs to start again. I still have a custom 74 demo, Sapporo slim demo and a 1911m blue with zoom nib.

What I am thinking to replace

Visconti Wall Street limited edition green. Love the double reservoir system
Mont Blanc 146 with platinum trim
Edison 74 I'm thinking.

I will use a pilot custom 92 blue demo that is being shipped as an every day pen.

Thoughts?

brewsky
October 25th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Unfortunate to hear about your pens, I definitely like the list of new purchases. Those wall streets are gorgeous. I had the pleasure of playing with one in the local pen store.

jar
October 25th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Just for future reference it is really not a good idea to ever leave fountain pens in a car. The temperatures reached almost guarantee they will leak.

manoeuver
October 25th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Sorry your pens got ganked. Thieves are the worst.

Crazyorange
October 25th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I read about someone who had their fountain pens stolen. Then spoke with another person, who was robbed of their pens. It seems like thieves like easy to sell items. Ebay becomes an easy place to sell pens. Makes me wonder if nice pens should be insured?

fountainpenkid
October 25th, 2014, 09:50 AM
I have had recent troubles with this as well. I take my pens to school, and have had only one problem with it before (TWSBI mini taken off my desk), but last week, my m400 white tortoise, vacumatic senior pencil, and slender vacumatic all disappeared. :( They could have somehow fallen out somewhere, but they were securely in the sealed pocket of my book bag, so I think someone has figured out how much my 'cool pens' are worth and not had the dignity to respect them. I am probably a fool to take them (my parents certainly think so), and will try to get some more replaceable modern pens to use at school for now on. (Lamy 2000 here I come)

fountainpenkid
October 25th, 2014, 09:58 AM
I read about someone who had their fountain pens stolen. Then spoke with another person, who was robbed of their pens. It seems like thieves like easy to sell items. Ebay becomes an easy place to sell pens. Makes me wonder if nice pens should be insured?
Here's a good discussion of this on FPN: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/88764-pen-insurance/. I just got a quote from the Collectibles Insurance website, and for a $500 collection with no house security, it would cost me $29 annually. I think that is not too bad at all. It might be something to consider.

Crazyorange
October 25th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Here's a good discussion of this on FPN: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/88764-pen-insurance/. I just got a quote from the Collectibles Insurance website, and for a $500 collection with no house security, it would cost me $29 annually. I think that is not too bad at all. It might be something to consider.

That's the thread I read. About 4 weeks ago, a man with a sheaffer collection, had his collection stolen. About 300 pens. Thieves are smart. I know if I had my collection stolen I couldn't afford to replace it. After reading this thread, I think insurance is a good idea. The quote you got was very reasonable.

Crazyorange
October 25th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I have had recent troubles with this as well. I take my pens to school, and have had only one problem with it before (TWSBI mini taken off my desk), but last week, my m400 white tortoise, vacumatic senior pencil, and slender vacumatic all disappeared. :( They could have somehow fallen out somewhere, but they were securely in the sealed pocket of my book bag, so I think someone has figured out how much my 'cool pens' are worth and not had the dignity to respect them. I am probably a fool to take them (my parents certainly think so), and will try to get some more replaceable modern pens to use at school for now on. (Lamy 2000 here I come)

Just terrible. Sorry to hear. In one way, why shouldn't we enjoy our pens? Leaving them at home takes some of joy away. I guess instance is the way to go.

tandaina
October 25th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Yes really valuable pens should be part of your homeowners policy. My husband and I are photographers and have a special rider added to our homeowners to cover our camera equipment. Valuable pens can be insured the same way.

Also a good reminder to never leave anything of value in a car, least secure place to leave anything, sadly.

Kaputnik
October 25th, 2014, 12:28 PM
Just for future reference it is really not a good idea to ever leave fountain pens in a car. The temperatures reached almost guarantee they will leak.

There's that of course, although you tell yourself it's only for a minute.

...Also a good reminder to never leave anything of value in a car, least secure place to leave anything, sadly.

Yes. If I stop by the grocery on the way home from work, I'm carrying my laptop case around in the shopping cart, generally with fountain pens in it as well as the computer.

blopplop
October 25th, 2014, 02:40 PM
That's horrible news. I'm really sorry about your pens. I hope you're restored two-fold on future pens.

Dave

Rusty888
October 25th, 2014, 05:59 PM
There's that of course, although you tell yourself it's only for a minute.

...Also a good reminder to never leave anything of value in a car, least secure place to leave anything, sadly.

Yes. If I stop by the grocery on the way home from work, I'm carrying my laptop case around in the shopping cart, generally with fountain pens in it as well as the computer.

Exactly, it was only a little bit I was out. It wasn't just my pens. They took my work bag. Overall I think I am out over 5k

However I've sent Bryant from pen time and the visconti is already ordered.

My view is I enjoy. I use to have a Lamy all star as an everyday pen however I find that you buy nice things to use. I'm amazed people have nice plate ware saved for special occasions. Every day is a special occasion so we only have one good set and if it gets broken well so be it. Like my pens by the most expensive you can afford to lose

johnus
October 26th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Just hate it when people steal. One of the things that everyone should check on is what their insurances (or credit cards if traveling) will cover.
For specialized item clubs/ groups/organization may be a source of low cost insurance.

Neo
October 26th, 2014, 09:34 AM
What did the police say?

D.C. Wright
October 26th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Very sorry to hear about the despicable act of someone that has deprived you of the pens you have savored and liked.
One possibility - check with your insurance agent. Your auto and/or home/renter's policies might help with the cost of the replacements you've chosen. You will certainly have had to file a police report.
Also, consider insuring your pens in the future. You can add a specific rider to your home/renter's policy or go to Colletibles Insurance Services, LLC (www.collectinsure.com) as mentioned by Crazyorange and fountainpenkid. There are likely other agencies that insure collections, I mention CIS only because that's who I use. No affiliation.
D.C.

Dgreene120
October 26th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Sorry to hear that your pens and other things were stolen. That really stinks.

Rusty888
October 26th, 2014, 04:51 PM
What did the police say?

It's interesting. They almost didn't know what a fountain pen was. Infact I said pens and he wrote biros.

He did want to know about my laptop and iPad though.

Nothing can be done. Oh well

Crazyorange
October 26th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Glad to hear you have a new visconti on the way. Post a pic when it arrives so we can drool. You have a wonderful mindset. I hope many good things come your way.