PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Metropolitan Converter Ink Capacity

Dgreene120
October 29th, 2014, 05:14 AM
I've been using a few fountain pens for the past two years or so, but recently got bitten by the bug and bought several more pens. One of my new pens is a Pilot Metropolitan with an aerometric/squeeze converter. After a few days of use, I've noticed that I need to refill the pen at the end of each day, even though I have not been using it for very heavy writing. I'm wondering if the converter that comes with this pen holds a pretty small amount of ink or if I'm just not filling it all the way up. Anyone have any experience with the ink capacity of this pen? Thanks!

Fouez
October 29th, 2014, 06:17 AM
Brian Goulet did a short video on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzxkQlAsvWY

KBeezie
October 29th, 2014, 10:46 AM
If you don't mind using a syringe (which Goulet sells a pair, unless you want to go find some blunt-tip 5ml or so syringe), you could just re-fill a Pilot cartridge which is roughly 0.9ml and you can least see how much you're putting in (course you can also syringe fill a con-20 type).

I usually don't have a problem with the squeeze filler the metro comes with, especially as it's one of the few squeeze-types I like as it seems to get up quite a bit in just one squeeze.

It's also possible you're not submerging the nib enough to get a good enough fill when you squeeze and let go, and sucking up some air as a result instead of all ink. But the squeeze converter should still hold more than a standard international cartridge.

Dgreene120
October 29th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the video and the tips!