PDA

View Full Version : TWSBI 580 Black/Rose Gold Nib Plating has come off

alc3261
November 1st, 2014, 04:55 AM
My 580 Rose Gold/Black has been inked for a while - when I used it last night some nib crud had developed. I washed it off and the Rose gold plating had come off under the crud. I have never had any trouble with nib crud on a gold or steel nib before, it usually just rinses off. Some inks do crud and I don't sweat it. However I now have a blotchy nib!! :(

Mags
November 1st, 2014, 05:04 AM
It is now a Baystate Blue ink ready nib for you. I love that ink as you know and dedicated a 540 and mini being good general purpose pens for carrying the dreaded bsb ink as my signing pens for contracts at work. Any idea what inks you were using that had a high or low ph to maybe account for the nib issues?

alc3261
November 1st, 2014, 05:29 AM
The ink is Noodler's Golden Brown.

alc3261
November 1st, 2014, 05:31 AM
I like Baystate.Blue also, I keep it in a Lamy Vista which has neither dissolved nor exploded!!

SawtoothJL
November 1st, 2014, 07:23 PM
Hm. Maybe You got a faulty nib unit. I'd contact TWSBI about what to do. Maybe they'll send You a new nib

Laura N
November 1st, 2014, 07:39 PM
Could rose gold nibs be more prone to this? I can't remember the specifics, but I seem to recall another brand having this issue as well with rose gold nibs losing plating. Maybe Omas?

Jon Szanto
November 1st, 2014, 07:43 PM
I purchased a Platinum 3776 "Nice", which has rose gp hardware and nib, in a Broad for Mike Masuyama to grind for me at the SF Pen Show. When I took it to him, he said "let me see this - rose gold is tricky to grind, as it is usually a thinner plating and prone to come off the nib on some situations". He did a bit of a test, and felt it was ok to go ahead. The nib is still in good shape, but it made me think that the process of rose gold plating may have some differences from yellow gold plating.

alc3261
November 1st, 2014, 08:44 PM
I hope this shows how the plating has come off.

earthdawn
November 1st, 2014, 11:33 PM
Could rose gold nibs be more prone to this? I can't remember the specifics, but I seem to recall another brand having this issue as well with rose gold nibs losing plating. Maybe Omas?

I remember a story like this as well .. but I think it was a Mont Blanc Rose Gold anniversary edition.. I think it was on that "other" board.

Mesu
November 2nd, 2014, 04:58 AM
I had a similar problem with my rose gold TWSBI 580. Wrote to the customer care and got a replacement nib (nib only, not the unit) free of cost. Took a total of 3weeks from the time of raising the complaint, for the replacement to arrive. Their customer service has been very responsive.

Do attach the above pics of the plating loss when you write to them. It helps save lot of back and forth emails.

heymatthew
November 2nd, 2014, 05:35 AM
Over at fountain pen network there has been extensive talk about the rose gold TWSBI pens. A lot of people are having issues with the plating on the nib and elsewhere turning colors, coming off, etc.

It's definitely something you should contact TWSBI about as they'll make it right.

But I'm afraid this will be a recurring dance for you with this pen.

Laura N
November 2nd, 2014, 08:10 AM

I remember a story like this as well .. but I think it was a Mont Blanc Rose Gold anniversary edition.. I think it was on that "other" board.

Yes, you are right. I double-checked and found a few incidents reported with the 75th Anniversary MB 149 and a few reported with Omas rose-gold nibs.

I wonder if anyone is having the problem on the 90th Anniversary MBs, which are out this year.

Laura N
November 2nd, 2014, 08:11 AM
Alc3261, that looks horrible.

alc3261
November 2nd, 2014, 03:51 PM
Alc3261, that looks horrible.
Indeed it does :(

alc3261
November 2nd, 2014, 04:03 PM
Over at fountain pen network there has been extensive talk about the rose gold TWSBI pens. A lot of people are having issues with the plating on the nib and elsewhere turning colors, coming off, etc.

It's definitely something you should contact TWSBI about as they'll make it right.

But I'm afraid this will be a recurring dance for you with this pen.
I have had the pen about a year. I have had good service from TWSBI in the past.

Bogon07
November 2nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
Alc3261, sorry to hear about your rose gold nib plating. I hope it is quickly rectified by TWSBI.

alc3261
November 2nd, 2014, 05:27 PM
Alc3261, sorry to hear about your rose gold nib plating. I hope it is quickly rectified by TWSBI.

I have sent an email.

alc3261
November 3rd, 2014, 04:51 AM
Reply from TWSBI by return of email.
A new nib is in the post!!

Mags
November 3rd, 2014, 05:51 AM
Wow they are good at replacing the nib.

EclecticCollector
November 5th, 2014, 06:20 AM
Monteverde also has a history of issues with their rose gold plating flaking off.

Chrissy
November 5th, 2014, 06:50 AM
At least they responded positively and really quickly. I hope your new nib arrives soon and it writes well. :)

heymatthew
November 5th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Does anyone know if TWSBI has fixed the RG problem, or are they just issuing replacements with the same problem? On a TWSBI I wouldn't be too upset, but it seems that on higher end pens, it's the same issue, which would upset me a great deal. I wonder what makes rose gold more susceptible to flaking, peeling, turning, etc. than, say, yellow gold or rhodium-plated gold.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd pop that new nib in and stick the pen on eBay and go get a regular old 580. Black and Rose Gold is a nice combination, but not if you're getting a replacement nib every 6 months. And I'm sure at some point, the supply will run out and you'll just be stuck with a rotten nib.

alc3261
November 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM
Does anyone know if TWSBI has fixed the RG problem, or are they just issuing replacements with the same problem? On a TWSBI I wouldn't be too upset, but it seems that on higher end pens, it's the same issue, which would upset me a great deal. I wonder what makes rose gold more susceptible to flaking, peeling, turning, etc. than, say, yellow gold or rhodium-plated gold.

Honestly, if it were me, I'd pop that new nib in and stick the pen on eBay and go get a regular old 580. Black and Rose Gold is a nice combination, but not if you're getting a replacement nib every 6 months. And I'm sure at some point, the supply will run out and you'll just be stuck with a rotten nib.

I already have a standard 580.
I am planning to keep the new nib for best!!

Chrissy
November 5th, 2014, 04:17 PM
I already have a standard 580.
I am planning to keep the new nib for best!!

That's the sort of thing I would do. ;)

alc3261
November 11th, 2014, 10:36 AM
New nib received - very quick!! Thank you TWSBI.

alc3261
November 18th, 2014, 02:19 PM
New nib was received in under a week!!

Neo
November 18th, 2014, 02:42 PM
New nib was received in under a week!!

How does it look and write?

alc3261
November 18th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I haven't fitted the new nib as the old one writes fine - I'm keeping the new nib "for best"!!