PDA

View Full Version : FPGeeks made me do it!

dannzeman
July 17th, 2012, 11:34 AM
I've seen a few comments around the website that have basically blamed us for their purchase of pens or ink or whatever, all in a friendly tone, of course. We're more than happy to accept the blame and actually take a little pride in it ;-)

I thought it might be fun for all of us to share what we've bought because of the influence of FPGeeks. Whether it's a pen, a bottle of ink, or a pad of paper, please let us know!

I'll start. Thanks to KrazyIvan's review of the Kokuyo Paracuruno notebook (http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/510-Kokuyo-Paracuruno-Notebook-Review), I now have one waiting in my shopping cart at JetPens. I've not yet made the purchase as I still have a ton of paper available. But, once I need some more I know it'll be there waiting for me.

writingrav
July 17th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Where would I begin? I'd never heard of Twisbi or Edison, now I have three of each, 7 Lamys, and the Italix that I owe to S.Brown's visit . Inks? Notebooks? Where would I be without FP Geeks? Probably vacationing in Europe rather than the Poconos :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

manoeuver
July 17th, 2012, 01:15 PM
I found fpgeeks after searching for pen show info. Prior to that my pens were mostly modern lamys (safari and al star) and some vintage stuff.

merchants I discovered here and bought from:
the goulets
jetpens
isellpens

brands I now own I knew nothing about previously:
TWSBI
Noodler's Ink (ink and a pen)
Platinum
Hero
Clairfontaine

pre FPgeeks I knew not the italic, stub or flex.

so yeah, thanks a lot guys. my wife hates you.

KrazyIvan
July 17th, 2012, 01:23 PM
I have not purchased but I blame this forum for my sudden interest in the Omas 360 that I can't buy. Yet. Maybe.

@danzeman: Nice to know . :)

Bogon07
July 17th, 2012, 04:32 PM
I could blame FPG for all sorts of purchases but ultimately the only one responsible for them is me but if some of you want to take some of the blame:

Etoyoc for Noodler's Guene Green...only partially as I bought the Eel version.

S.Brown's video demo of Apache Sunset. I was sure I had enough orange inks before that.

K.I. for Blue and White Lamy Studios after the review & photos of his black one. And of course buying a Starwars Moleskine (Mrs Bogon now continually corrects my pronounciation of it....Moleeeskieena Thanks heaps Eric) and getting started on FieldNotes etc Your daughter for an interest in purple inks as well.

JustDaveyB for suggesting Melpens and the Pengallery eBayshops.

Manoeuver for an interest in boutique beers.

Writingrav for my interest in the Jinhao Porcelain Blue Dragon...still thinking about that while I'm waiting on a White Safari which I had an idea of etching a blue dragon onto (fat chance of that actually happening)

Yeh, my wife loves the FPG podcasts but not the consequences.

IWantThat
July 17th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I definitely blame you guys for my purchase of the Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. It is so beautiful, that I only blame you in jest. I wouldn't trade the pen for anything. Of course, then there's the Apple Green Lamy Safari, which I first spotted on your site. I also bought the G. Lalo paper in champagne, after Eric mentioned it, even though I have the paper already in blue. I also blame you for the lovely Ink Journals that were just delivered yesterday and for my now regular perusal of the Anderson Pen website.

Thank you for all the lovely things, dang it ;)

FP_GaF
July 18th, 2012, 01:22 AM
An avid and regular listener since day one, I blame Eric and Dan for my growing TWSBI collection. Currently, I own five:

a Diamond 540 clear
a Diamond 540 in transparent blue
a Diamond 540 ROC with 1.1 mm stub nib
a Vac 700 smoke
a Micarta clipless

The clear Diamond 540 now holds a vintage Pelikan M400 nib (fits nicely, though I had to adjust the feed just a tad). Love'em all, each and every one.

BTW: what happened to the Diamond mini? I desperately need this baby in my collection. Eric? Dan? Any news?

peterpen53
July 18th, 2012, 08:38 AM
OK, let's see:

1 - Before becoming aware of FPGeeks I had never even heard of TWSBI. Now I own two 540's, each with a different stub.
2 - Before becoming aware of FPGeeks I had never heard of Edison pens. I still don't own one, but I certainly want one (or two, or three...)
3 - I quite voluntarily bought his Visconti Wall Street, offered for sale on the forum, but Eric very happily enabled.
4 - You drew my attention to the pen cases made by Geoff Morris, of which I now own two.
5 - Last but certainly not least, and my wallet hates you most for that, you pointed me to a pen seller called Bryant. He sells the wrong kind of pens (i.e. the kind I like).

In all fairness I cannot blame you for my recent inclination to go after both vintage and modern Montblancs, as I picked that up somewhere else for sure.

KrazyIvan
July 18th, 2012, 08:53 AM
that's right! I did not have a Lamy Al-Star until I bought Eric's blue version!

Bogon07
July 18th, 2012, 04:06 PM
that's right! I did not have a Lamy Al-Star until I bought Eric's blue version!

If he signed it, your's would be even rarer than the Bastian Schweinsteiger Al-Star (Aluminum with BS's signature)

Pinkys.Brain
July 18th, 2012, 10:06 PM
FPG made me get two Kaweco Sports and two Waterman inks. And it made me starting a shopping list...

dannzeman
July 19th, 2012, 03:46 PM
These responses are awesome! I'm giving everyone Rep just for posting in here. Enjoy.

dgator
July 19th, 2012, 06:35 PM
FPGeeks made me buy a Kaweco Sport. I'll divide the blame three ways -- Eric, Dan and S.B.R.E. Brown. Eric & Dan for the Awesome Review and Mr. Brown for his YouTube video. I shouldn't complain since it didn't melt my credit card. (Whew, could have ended up with a Montblanc Hitchcock....*smell of burnt plastic*)

BTW, after one day of use I'm really liking the Kaweco. First thing I did was empty the cartridge that came with the pen and added Blurple (1 part Waterman Florida Blue + 1 part Waterman Purple). The fine nib writes nicely on the cheap copy paper at work.

manoeuver
July 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM
I forgot about the kaweco sport I bought. It's gone now but it is a nice pen.

Maja
July 20th, 2012, 01:30 PM
I bought my Noodler's Konrad fountain pen (from Andersonpens.net) after reading about it on FPGeeks. Great pen! :)

outbackpengeek
July 23rd, 2012, 01:53 AM
I saw the Franklin-Christophe Penvelope 6 on FPGeeks, and though it would be perfect for my budding collection. Of course before it arrived in the mail, I had more than six pens! So then I found their 20 pen zipper case mentioned here, and ordered one of those to contain my current collection. *Then* I saw the Penvelope 2 on FPGeeks, and thought...well, I do need something to take my pen to work! So the current plan is...inked pens go in the Penvelope 6, my daily users in the Penvelope 2, and everything else in the 20 pen zip case.

JustDaveyB
July 23rd, 2012, 05:01 AM
I saw the Franklin-Christophe Penvelope 6 on FPGeeks, and though it would be perfect for my budding collection. Of course before it arrived in the mail, I had more than six pens! So then I found their 20 pen zipper case mentioned here, and ordered one of those to contain my current collection. *Then* I saw the Penvelope 2 on FPGeeks, and thought...well, I do need something to take my pen to work! So the current plan is...inked pens go in the Penvelope 6, my daily users in the Penvelope 2, and everything else in the 20 pen zip case.

Great theory. I followed a similar logic and now have 2 X 40 Pen FC zipper cases, 2 x 20 Pen FC zipper cases and a Penvelope six, am eyeing off the Penvelope Two at the moment...

JustDaveyB
July 23rd, 2012, 05:06 AM
I blame you guys for nothing at all. I was in serious trouble before you started this site.

Actually the only thing I may be able to blame on you is that featured a Pelikan M620 Shanghai on your Sunday Shopper and the price I paid for it was $50 more than average - Not enough evidence to convict you...

fountainpenkid
July 23rd, 2012, 08:15 AM
I blame the geeks for making me reconsider the lamy 2000, and possibly making me consider organics studio inks.

Will

writingrav
July 23rd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Great theory. I followed a similar logic and now have 2 X 40 Pen FC zipper cases, 2 x 20 Pen FC zipper cases and a Penvelope six, am eyeing off the Penvelope Two at the moment...

Will it never end:) :)

The truth is I have a 48 pen case, a 12, a 10, a four for the pocket, and a single. And I'm still not satisfied with my system.

Okami
August 2nd, 2012, 10:24 PM
This wonderful Waterman 42 Safety pen listed on one of the early Sunday shoppers:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Fbe3gQefFjc/TyWkB2JRrTI/AAAAAAAADFI/lpvPlbnIRqo/s640/IMG_2048.JPG

The review is here: http://okami-whatever.blogspot.com/2012/02/featured-pen-waterman-42-safety.html

Bogon07
August 3rd, 2012, 10:25 PM
Congratulations on your new Waterman 42 Safety.

fountainpenkid
August 7th, 2012, 05:20 PM
yeah, that is quite something!

snedwos
September 12th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I blame the Geeks for everything. Thanks to them, I have already spent so may pay cheques of a job I still haven't found (and I have tuition fee loans to pay too!).

I had not heard of Edison, TWSBI, the Goulets, J Herbin, Noodler´s, Diamine...

I do remember right at the beginning of my adventure, when I spent a day watching stephen brown's videos, and a couple of geek of the week epsiodes, and thinking it would be cool for them to do one of him, and lo and behold! within a few days my wish was granted!

tiffanyhenschel
September 12th, 2012, 11:14 AM
FP Geeks has caused me NOT to buy some pens that I had been considering, so they have actually saved me some money.

Then again, The Lucky 13 Penvelope that I hadn't even been aware of previously and the WE Jonathan Swift that I recently picked up because of them probably wipe out that savings. :cry:

fountainpenkid
September 12th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Lamy 2000 vs. Conklin Nozac---Lamy 2000 in the end thanks to the "Origins of Design" article showing COMPLETE dissasembly of the pen!!

JustDaveyB
September 13th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I blame OCPD (obsessive/compulsive personality disorder) for my need to complete collections of items once I start and OPCD (obsessive pen collecting desire) for my pen purchases to complete the collections. :)

But the real enabler is the world's dire financial straits has caused the Australian dollar to rise to greater than parity against the US Dollar - making pens so much cheaper...

penultress
September 22nd, 2012, 08:16 PM
I am new here but have always loved pens. Stephen Brown has MOST definitely enabled my purchases in the last month! Like others, I have never heard of TWSBI but I now own and love my Diamond 540 in Amber. I also purchased a Monteverde Artista Crystal in Clear (beautiful), one Pelikan with another on its way and an Aurora Ipsilon, also on its way!
As far as inks go, I now have Noodler's Antietam and Walnut, Private Reserve's Lake Placid Blue and Tanzanite and Diamine in Amaranth. I've just ordered from goulet pens: two flex pens, Noodler's Nikita ink with free pen and a bunch of ink samples!
I look forward to growing my collection!

Saintpaulia
September 22nd, 2012, 11:24 PM
Any of the inks reviewed on the Inkcyclopedia.

Sailor Kenshin
September 23rd, 2012, 08:11 AM
Two words: Rome Burning!

Bogon07
September 25th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Two words: Rome Burning!

Same here.
Great in a fine nib but not worth the effort filling a wide italic.

Sailor Kenshin
September 26th, 2012, 07:18 AM
I think it's close to the discontinued Pelikan Khaki. Haven't tried a B Nib with it yet but I love the dip-test.

wayne.robinson
September 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Yup, definitely a few to add to this list:

TWSBI Micarta (wasn't originally going to add because if looks)
Franklin Christoph Model 66 (and then the 25)
Stipula Model-T
OMAS Vintage 360 Turquoise