PDA

View Full Version : So I'm being a little bit devious, but it's totally my professor's fault

inkyletters
November 2nd, 2014, 01:16 PM
What's that you say? I can't have one of the those "weird pens" when we write our lab report? Okay, I'll make sure I bring a rollerball, you're right it'll be easier with the carbon paper that way....

*smirks*

He said nothing about that funny ink...... :o

View from the Loft
November 2nd, 2014, 01:21 PM
That's the way to do it :-)

Silverbreeze
November 2nd, 2014, 02:30 PM
Lol

Neo
November 2nd, 2014, 03:24 PM
Would you mind posting instructions?

inkyletters
November 2nd, 2014, 04:28 PM
Neo I used this tutorial: http://peninkcillin.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-refill-your-pilot-varsity.html

Instead of placing pliers on the base of a nib I wrapped the base in a washcloth and pulled (it makes a hideous sound) and rinsed the pen a million times, though it's still slightly stained. Then simply fill with your ink of choice and pop the top back in.

Neo
November 2nd, 2014, 04:52 PM
Thank you

mrcharlie
November 3rd, 2014, 03:33 AM
Neo I used this tutorial: http://peninkcillin.blogspot.com/2011/07/how-to-refill-your-pilot-varsity.html

Instead of placing pliers on the base of a nib I wrapped the base in a washcloth and pulled (it makes a hideous sound) and rinsed the pen a million times, though it's still slightly stained. Then simply fill with your ink of choice and pop the top back in.

I've tried this several times with a varsity, only I just broke them or ruined the nib/feed without getting the feed/collector out.

But as luck would have it after reading this item today, I came across a black Pilot Precise V7 I haven't used in a couple years that was dried out because I hadn't closed the cap all the way (doh!). I tried just pulling it out using an old washcloth, but could not. I tried using the needle nose pliers over the washcloth, and holding barrel with other hand, use thumb of barrel holding hand to push the pliers up, and POP! I win!

I rinsed and put an ml or so of Levenger Amethyst in. I soaked the feed/"nib" in water for 10 minutes, and tried to force water through it using a bulb syringe a dozen times or so since it was dried up and I wasn't able to write/scribble it dry. Re-assembled, and started scribbling. As the new liquid made it though the system it started to show color, and then write well, and then fairly quickly went from black to blackish purple to purple. Win! Thanks a lot for posting this or I wouldn't have tried this on the V7.

BTW, I took a small circle of paper from a three hole punch and colored it with the pen. I then used the thinnest layer of rubber cement I could on the top of the cap, and on the bottom of the little circle of purple paper, let them dry for a couple minutes, and pressed the paper to the top of the cap (aka "dry mount"). Just rub the extra rubber cement from the top of the cap not covered by the paper, and now I can tell that this V7 is the one with the purple ink in it.

Also, FWIW, the Zebra 301 series rollerball is cheap, works pretty well, and uses cartridges that you can refill with whatever ink you like. If you can find one, that is. I've never seen one in a store; I was gifted one and don't know where the giver obtained it.

Sailor Kenshin
November 3rd, 2014, 05:14 AM
A small piece of rubbery shelf liner works better than a washcloth as far as grippage goes. Dollar stores have them, or you might even have some lying around in the house.

I use these everywhere...to open ink bottles AND jars of food. In different rooms, of course. ;)

mtnbiker62
November 3rd, 2014, 11:18 AM
I recycle old bike tubes for grippage...just cut a 2" wide strip of inner tube. I wish I'd have thought of selling them before Brian Goulet!

mmahany
November 3rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
I see two things that stand out in that picture: a syringe....and a mess.

If I was your professor, I probably wouldn't let you bring in fountain pens either. The desk looks like it has ink all over it (not to mention your hands).

mrcharlie
November 3rd, 2014, 01:06 PM
A small piece of rubbery shelf liner works better than a washcloth as far as grippage goes. Dollar stores have them, or you might even have some lying around in the house.

I use these everywhere...to open ink bottles AND jars of food. In different rooms, of course. ;)
Have used in the past for pen disassembly and opening antique ink bottles; +1. I'm pretty sure I pulled/broke the nib/end of feed off of a Varsity without getting the rest of the collector/feed out using this stuff. :) To be fair, I think I got frustrated and twisted it a little as I pulled. Bad idea!

If you cut an appropriate sized circle of this stuff, it makes a good liner for the bottom of a pen cup.

alc3261
November 3rd, 2014, 02:31 PM
I recycle old bike tubes for grippage...just cut a 2" wide strip of inner tube. I wish I'd have thought of selling them before Brian Goulet!

I use cut up disposable tourniquets!!

oldstoat
November 4th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Do you use a Spencer-Wells too?