PDA

View Full Version : Craft faire finds: Crusader fountain pen and pencil and a short clip gold cap.

jspatton
November 2nd, 2014, 08:07 PM
Howdy,
I was at an arts and crafts fair this weekend and bought these two pens, both for $5. One is green and black marbleized with Crusader written down the clip. It is a fountain pen on one side and a pencil on the other. The other has a short clip with Watermans down the clip. There's some swirly loops at the bottom of the cap. I did a brief web search on Crusader, so I see that Waterman had a brand by that name, but no pictures match it.
I'm not a collector of Waterman. I do have a Phileas, but don't use it much. Could someone fill me in on these pens?
Thanks,
John

kirchh
November 2nd, 2014, 08:41 PM
Waterman had a model named the Crusader, but it wasn't a brand. Your pen is unrelated; it's a third-tier (poor quality, inexpensive) item.

The other pen is a Waterman Taperite Lady Garland.

--Daniel

pajaro
November 3rd, 2014, 05:54 AM
The pen and pencil combo must have been somewhat popular back in the day, judging by the number of them I have seen offered. It looks like all you have to do is put on a new sac and it should work.

The Waterman Taperite is interesting. I got one in an ebay lot of pens and put a new sac in it. It is a nice writer. $5 sounds like a buy.

Scrawler
November 3rd, 2014, 07:28 AM
I confess that I do not like the pen/pencil combo. I have only ever seen them in 3rd tier. However I do like the green marble celluloid. If you got that Taperite for $5 you are doing very well.

jspatton
November 3rd, 2014, 04:55 PM
Thanks to all that answered.
If my Phileas wrote as nicely as this Lady Garland, I would be totally a Waterman fan! What a smooth writer.
The Crusader is nice enough, from what I have written with it thus far. It has quite a bit of heft to it, very solid, The nib also says Crusader, with Made in USA below it. But it is definitely not a Waterman Crusader. It is a VERY wet writer, but that might be from the ink, an unknown Chinese brand that I got with some glass pens several years ago.It's my first pen/pencil combination purchase, and my first marbleized pen, so I'm having fun with it.
Again, thank you all.

pajaro
November 4th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Apart from the third tier pen/pencil combos, Ariel Kullock makes fantasy Parker 51 pen/pencil combos with Parker 51 parts. Those can be pricey.