PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon and Cover-print input invited. 600 pen catalogues, etc, on DVD

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 10:43 AM
Fountain Pen Catalogues on DVD. Duplication is pending for a massive trove of public domain fountain pen documents, probably 600 or more period pen catalogue copies, company brochures, and more, ranging back to the 1800s. 3 GB of information in PDF form on folders easy accessed on DVD.

I plan to make this available to the hobby at-cost, to help spread the knowledge. The DVD likely will cost $2 or so, depending on final printing cost. Shipping likely $6 or so, though no extra shipping fee for those delivered at shows on those occasions when ordered along with a pen.

To buy originals of this material would cost tens of thousands of dollars, noting that many of the images are not of originals but of are of rough photo-copies. The data contained is of great value to anyone who wants to look up original info about pens. Tons of info on Parker, Sheaffer, Wahl, Parker. Plenty on smaller makes such as Conklin, Moore, Dunn, etc. Parkegrams, Waterman Pen Prophets, Sheaffer Reviews and other company literature. Below is mock-up of the DVD printing itself. Still time to change the image if enough people thinks the printing can be better (and how)

Before going to print (DVD Duplication), I thought I'd offer a tentative image for the DVD printing itself. Does this work?

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/DVD_600_cataloguesTrimmed800.jpg

regards

David

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 10:53 AM
Of note, over at my pen group on Facebook, some noted lacking DVD drives in computers. I suppose the files could be put on $5 thumb drive as well.

regards

d

tandaina
November 3rd, 2014, 10:55 AM
Yes, DVDs seem to be going away, a thumb drive option would be a great supplement.

I've never much paid attention to what was printed on DVDs so that looks fine to me! :)

Jon Szanto
November 3rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
Besides the PCA files, are there any individuals that all of this work can be attributed to? That is a lot of scanning. I've had to scan materials for a non-profit archival project once before, and that is a lot of scanning.

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 11:12 AM
Hi Jon,

I don't know. John did a fair bit of the recent stuff, but there's stuff going way back.

I also hope subsequently to offer some wholly fresh material, never publicly shown anywhere, this summer. Possibly downloadable from Vacumania. Possibly offered as ancillary material in concert with related articles over at the Journal.

regards

David

Jon Szanto
November 3rd, 2014, 11:18 AM
I also hope subsequently to offer some wholly fresh material, never publicly shown anywhere, this summer.
I know that a while back, prior to one of the shows, you were talking about having a treasure trove of Moore documentation. I would severely love it if any of this material turns up. I find it very frustrating to not have found (maybe it's just me, and early in the hunt) anything from beyond the 20's. Anyway, I'll certainly be ordering one of the... whatever distribution media this all ends up on!

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 11:34 AM
Hi Jon,

I am not invested in hoarding the Moore material. I do have vague hope of offering in concert with an article about the pertinent pens. If that doesn't happen within the year, maybe I'll offer the material directly. There's only so much time in a day. The hospital has kept me very busy of late. Hell, I've been letting the Vacumania website languish, though I'm happy people still email to buy pens.

I was inspired to do this DVD collection by Jon Veley and by Danny Kirchheimer. Credit where credit is due, sort of ;)

regards

-d

Jon Szanto
November 3rd, 2014, 11:51 AM
Hey, Dr! I wasn't ragging on you for holding back, I just remember the mention, and I've had such a difficult time finding other stuff. Truth be told, the Moore interest just took hold (stronger) in recent months, so it is on my mind. No worries, and please: don't work *too* hard. I already can't figure out how you manage to do all these things...

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Hey, Dr! I wasn't ragging on you for holding back, I just remember the mention, and I've had such a difficult time finding other stuff. Truth be told, the Moore interest just took hold (stronger) in recent months, so it is on my mind. No worries, and please: don't work *too* hard. I already can't figure out how you manage to do all these things...

Hi John,

No worries. I didn't believe you were busting my chops, and even if you were, that's cool, as it's probably my preferred means of jabber. I get worried when people start being nice ;)

Moore had some great pens, and while there are collectors of the 1930s-1940s pens, surprisingly little info has been offered to the hobby about them (the pens that is). I'd be perfectly happy if Rob Morrison or Ross McKinney beat me to the punch writing about them.

regards

david.

manoeuver
November 3rd, 2014, 12:06 PM
dvd art looks just fine.
I'm in for the thumb drive option.
I can bring my own dang thumb drive to the Columbus show and buy you dinner if you like.

tim

Jon Szanto
November 3rd, 2014, 12:09 PM
I'd be perfectly happy if Rob Morrison or Ross McKinney beat me to the punch writing about them.
Getting in touch with those two is on my semi-short list of things to do.

Jon Szanto
November 3rd, 2014, 12:10 PM
Hi John,

No worries. I didn't believe you were busting my chops, and even if you were, that's cool, as it's probably my preferred means of jabber.

Ok, then: spell the name correctly.

;)

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 12:11 PM
dvd art looks just fine.
I'm in for the thumb drive option.
I can bring my own dang thumb drive to the Columbus show and buy you dinner if you like.

tim

Works. :)

-d

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 12:12 PM
Hi John,

No worries. I didn't believe you were busting my chops, and even if you were, that's cool, as it's probably my preferred means of jabber.

Ok, then: spell the name correctly.

;)

Yeep!

-d

Laura N
November 3rd, 2014, 02:21 PM
Besides the PCA files, are there any individuals that all of this work can be attributed to? That is a lot of scanning. I've had to scan materials for a non-profit archival project once before, and that is a lot of scanning.

These are PCA files being sold? Not by the PCA?

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 02:32 PM

Not PCA files though PCA offers same files.

And, given away, really. Fee only for media and mailing.

regards

-d

Laura N
November 3rd, 2014, 03:21 PM

regards

-d

Thanks!

david i
November 3rd, 2014, 03:22 PM

regards

-d

Thanks!

You are welcome.

-d

sloegin
November 3rd, 2014, 09:57 PM
Why not just have it available to download? No media or mail costs.

tandaina
November 3rd, 2014, 10:16 PM
I'm guessing some collectors are still on slow enough connection that downloading a DVD would be problematic.

laoriginaltec
November 4th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Why not just have it available to download? No media or mail costs.
There is a fee for websites and storage.

However it might cost less to have people download directly from a website rather than the cost of thumbdrives and the time it takes to load each one. I wouldn't want to be the person switching out thumbdrives all day.

david i
November 4th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Good thoughts. Will explore further toward end of month as we get this in play.

regards

david

Jon Szanto
November 4th, 2014, 07:59 PM
Just have it all hosted at the Internet Archive (https://archive.org/search.php?query=fountain%20pen%20catalogs). It's all the rage.

david i
November 4th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I think it's been tried. Getting the file names to show up apparently is a problem.

-d