PDA

View Full Version : Never thought I'd say this...

Sailor Kenshin
November 4th, 2014, 08:55 AM
...but I have too many fountain pens.

*pauses while you pick self off floor*

You may know that I have been, for many years, the Chief Engineer on the Cheap 'n' Cheerful Express. If a pen made me go, 'Ooooo, shiiiinyyyy,' and was below a certain price point, I'd buy it. And maybe in every color. I was curious, I was exploring, and it was fun.

But a recent post really made me think. Hard.

Do I need SO many pens? Should I cut down on the number and enjoy a small (okay, not so small) core ofSailors, Safaris, Waterman (Watermens?), Parkers, and oddities?

(Oh...and the Hero 616s and their variations....and of course the fude....)

How do I define an oddity? It might not be a pen I use all the time, or at all, but it tickles my fancy in one way or another. Especially if it's no longer available. Like the Rotring Core. The Diplomat Butterfly. The Pentech I picked up in a drugstore, and the too-heavy too-gaudy nameless Target pen. This marks me as a collector as well as a user.

Then I also Came To Realize that metal sections or skinny pens or waaay heavy pens are not for me.

So I will probably be selling and PIF-ing soon. It's not as though I lack the space or the money. Just that some of these pens will be happier in new homes.

mtnbiker62
November 4th, 2014, 09:23 AM
I've come to think that its a natural evolution...at least that's what I'm telling myself as I go through the same process!

Laura N
November 4th, 2014, 11:00 AM
I did the same thing recently. Here are what I think of as the downsides:

1. Selling process = not fun.

2. I already sort of miss having all the options I used to have. For example, it hit me that I no longer have a less expensive c/c pen for troublesome inks.

3. And yet, now I find myself ruthlessly scrutinizing all that remains and thinking, I could really cull some more. Once started, a momentum develops. It would be easy for me to go too far.

Jon Szanto
November 4th, 2014, 11:12 AM
I'm in a very similar situation, Sailor. After a period of gathering and evaluating a number of pens, from different eras, with different qualities, my perspective is coming into focus. And, yes, there are pens that are fine pens, but not the pens I was looking for. They will need new homes, because someone will be the right match.

In the near future, the reduction in numbers will begin.

Sailor Kenshin
November 4th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I did the same thing recently. Here are what I think of as the downsides:

1. Selling process = not fun.

2. I already sort of miss having all the options I used to have. For example, it hit me that I no longer have a less expensive c/c pen for troublesome inks.

3. And yet, now I find myself ruthlessly scrutinizing all that remains and thinking, I could really cull some more. Once started, a momentum develops. It would be easy for me to go too far.

I'm with you there...except I still have a glass filled with c/c 'ink testers.' (Dignified term for Junk Pens). Because ink...you never know...

mhosea
November 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM

I'm beginning to suspect a definition of "near future" that I was previously unaware of. ;)

I have tried to put limits on my collection via limited storage slots, but the Pendora Pens started their liquidation sale, and I picked up a nice 76 pen case for less than half price. So that, along with my 36-pen Girologio case, means I'm good to go for awhile. :)

Actually, I have been focusing my collection a bit. I only have a half-dozen < $20 pens left, and on the nicer side, anything not at least as big as a Parker "51" might get put up for sale. I even sold off most of my Snorkels, a rather slender pen, keeping just a couple of pastel blue Valiants, a user and a back-up that's in mint condition.

carlc
November 4th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I have never been to the heady heights of many Geeks in terms of numbers but there comes a time when I feel that there are too many pens in the cupboard etc.

Then I sell pens and then more pens and I think I will achieve some form of Zen state with a few pens, eventually though I realise that perhaps I shouldn't have got rid of that pen (and maybe that one as well) and then I decide I'd really like to try one of those pens and so the wheel turns.....

I agree the selling isn't fun but for me it does release money for a new bout of buying (which is fun) but I do regret one or two pens that I have let go over the years.

Jon Szanto
November 4th, 2014, 01:41 PM

I'm beginning to suspect a definition of "near future" that I was previously unaware of. ;)

Ugh, tell me about it. I thought I'd be well into the process by now, but... well, life messes with your plans. Maybe I should be working in geologic time scales... :(

Bogon07
November 4th, 2014, 02:48 PM
...but I have too many fountain pens.

I say that to myself every time I buy a new one and then again after the next one and so on.

But I can't bear to part with any of them.

I think the reality is I have too many inked pens.
Also my focus on what type of pen or nib I like rotates as does my writing style.

Llewellyn
November 4th, 2014, 04:53 PM
I have a self-imposed limit based on the number of slots in the pen boxes I've got. That limit is 25, and there are 3 spaces left. I've only focused on Visconti and I've become more selective as time has gone on, so whatever gets to fill the last few places needs to be something different that the others don't offer.

I won't sell any because I know I'd regret it, and frankly the selling process is a pain in the whatsit.

rdcalhoon
November 4th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I am still at the try-a-bunch-of-different-inexpensive-pens stage, in part because I am still having fun at the $2 to $25 range. With time and use I am focusing on a few different nib / pen body style combinations for different uses, but I am in no hurry to settle down. I also like to occasionally buy a pen I'm not too sure about. More than one has been a happy surprise.

VertOlive
November 4th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I just went through a Pen Purge. I bought one exceptional pen with the funds and feel quite satisfied that 12 for 1 was a good swap. I may sell a few more and start saving for another pricier pen later.

That said, those 12 I sent to new homes all gave enjoyment and taught me something; the whole process has been a treat. It is especially fun to PIF a few, always a win-win!

Rusty888
November 4th, 2014, 06:06 PM
I think it all depends on how much you use them. For me I don't use them that often being travelling a fair amount. However after collecting quickly since I got into fountain pens and they were all lost. I have now decided to buy purposely and my dream pens. I think that number is 5. That way I can use them often.

youstruckgold
November 4th, 2014, 08:18 PM
It's true; I have a few pens that I don't know what to do with & I don't use. I agree that selling is painful (just fiddly) . PIF is fun / and I do that a little on my blog. But disposal is usually in the "0ne day" basket

ethernautrix
November 4th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I've come to believe in the natural binge and purge cycles. Your own sense of what works eventually emerges. The number of pens one "needs" is different for everyone, but we all (probably) eventually get there.

velo
November 4th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I've come to realise that I'm not a collector. If I feel like there are pens that are sitting around not being used then I have too many.

It applies to other material things I like as well. Too much camera gear, clothes, watches etc. then it goes on eBay or to charity. Makes housework a lot easier. :)

Waski_the_Squirrel
November 4th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I get this completely. I'm not a collector. I want pens I'll use, and it's nice to have some choices, but I did a big purge last year, and I'm in the midst of another purge scheduled for November 7 (for obvious reasons). I prefer a smaller selection of pens that I love and use.

I'm doing a contest open to students and staff at my school. Two of the pens might be worth selling, but the rest are not. It will be a random drawing: they enter online with name, grade level, and a reason why handwriting is important. I'll use a random number generator to pick winners. If I get any good reasons why handwriting is important, I will share them here (names removed, of course).

Jon Szanto
November 4th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I've come to believe in the natural binge and purge cycles.

Penbulimia.

ypsilanti
November 4th, 2014, 09:21 PM
While I really enjoyed the thrilling discovery of the Accumulation Phase, I was happy to reach the point where I know what I want in a pen. I sold some, gave away others. Seems to be the natural progression of FP madness.

Sailor Kenshin
November 5th, 2014, 05:38 AM
Well...now I'm backtracking on myself.

I had three cheap pens to test for the keep/sell/PIF glasses (yes. I keep my pens in glasses), and found, completely by accident, the PERFECT inks for two of them. The Guanleming 'Accountant' cost fi' dolla, and when filled with Noodler's Squeateague, it was so wonderful I didn't put it down all day. And refilled it last night. The dot on my index finger proves it!

The other one was a Haolilai 'Copper Sparks' with old-formula 41 Brown. At least that one's a pretty pen.

I guess if you find the perfect ink for it, you don't want to let go of a pen.

Laura N
November 5th, 2014, 06:35 AM

I had three cheap pens to test for the keep/sell/PIF glasses (yes. I keep my pens in glasses), and found, completely by accident, the PERFECT inks for two of them. The Guanleming 'Accountant' cost fi' dolla, and when filled with Noodler's Squeateague, it was so wonderful I didn't put it down all day. And refilled it last night. The dot on my index finger proves it!

The other one was a Haolilai 'Copper Sparks' with old-formula 41 Brown. At least that one's a pretty pen.

I am exactly the same way. :)

I kept one Eversharp, my least nice, because it is perfect with the original J. Herbin 1670 Red. I uwas just thinking I should sell the ink (which I love) so I can get rid of the pen. :)

Sailor Kenshin
November 5th, 2014, 07:21 AM

I am exactly the same way. :)

I kept one Eversharp, my least nice, because it is perfect with the original J. Herbin 1670 Red. I uwas just thinking I should sell the ink (which I love) so I can get rid of the pen. :)

Naaaaahhhhhhh.

spotted and speckled
November 5th, 2014, 07:26 AM
I'm on the "I should pare down" kick too. I overflowed my storage areas long ago.

But first to get rid of all the cds & books that have also overflowed their assigned spots.

mhosea
November 5th, 2014, 07:46 AM

Ugh, tell me about it. I thought I'd be well into the process by now, but... well, life messes with your plans. Maybe I should be working in geologic time scales... :(

Maybe you just need the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. I have several semi-horrific "beater" pens that David I. offloaded to me in conjunction with a decent Forest Green Parker "51" I bought from him off eBay (way too much brassing to be a candidate for the sales floor of Vacumania). At the time, it seemed altruistic... I repaired what I could, gave a couple away, destroyed one or two in my efforts, and declared one or two probably hopeless when they were brand new, but there are some more. I could get these writing (scratching with ink) by hook or by crook, and then ship them off to you (I think I have your address somewhere)... ;)

Jeph
November 5th, 2014, 09:01 AM
I admit that I have also reached a similar point. But I still refuse to sell any pens, although I have given a few away.

But I have finally stopped grabbing every bargain pen that I run across. Selecting pens for London made me realize that I have far too many good pens that can't compete with my great (does not mean expensive) pens to get into rotation. That does not even count the ones that I don't like or could not fix. So I have cooled off my acquisitions to only things on my list or something actually special and different from what I have. But as was mentioned before, having that many taught me what I like and what I don't like. Many of those lessons took a week or two of daily use to reveal themselves. So that money was not wasted; it was invested in saving me money from buying expensive pens that I would never use. Now I have more confidence in buying more expensive pens with no (less) fear, but I doubt that I will ever stop prowling for those underappreciated bargains. Those can live in a box and not complain loud enough to bother me.

Jon Szanto
November 5th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Maybe you just need the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. ...but there are some more. I could get these writing (scratching with ink) by hook or by crook, and then ship them off to you (I think I have your address somewhere)... ;)
Bastard! Don't you dare, and don't make me post a photo of the box of junkers he sold me!

Behike54
November 5th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Okay, just so we are CLEAR, did say TOO MANY?

I'm not old, but I did listen to a lot of classic rock…...LOUDLY!

Wait, let me look for my glasses, be right back. :confused:

Kaputnik
November 5th, 2014, 04:32 PM
I've thought for some time that I had "too many" pens, and yet I've kept on buying them. Even if I regularly flushed out my pens after a week, rather than writing with them until they're empty, it would be hard to keep all the best ones in the rotation. And then there are the ones that aren't so good.

So I "should" get rid of some. The problem is how.

I really, really, dislike selling things. Not the getting rid of them, but the actual act of selling. It's something that's hard to explain to anyone who doesn't feel the same way, and I'm not claiming that it's rational. Still, there it is.
I'd like to give some away to friends and family, but in general I meet with a complete lack of interest. This just isn't everybody's cup of ink.
Internet PIFs? No, I'm really not on board with that. I don't like taking freebies from strangers myself, and don't really want to be the giver, either.

No doubt in the end I will sell some, one way or another, possibly donating them to a "worthy cause" that is having a jumble sale. Maybe I will persuade someone that they really "should" try a fountain pen. "Here! Try this Safari!" In the meantime, it's not like they're taking up that much space.

ypsilanti
November 5th, 2014, 09:03 PM
I've thought for some time that I had "too many" pens, and yet I've kept on buying them. Even if I regularly flushed out my pens after a week, rather than writing with them until they're empty, it would be hard to keep all the best ones in the rotation. And then there are the ones that aren't so good.

So I "should" get rid of some. The problem is how.

I really, really, dislike selling things. Not the getting rid of them, but the actual act of selling. It's something that's hard to explain to anyone who doesn't feel the same way, and I'm not claiming that it's rational. Still, there it is.
I'd like to give some away to friends and family, but in general I meet with a complete lack of interest. This just isn't everybody's cup of ink.
Internet PIFs? No, I'm really not on board with that. I don't like taking freebies from strangers myself, and don't really want to be the giver, either.

No doubt in the end I will sell some, one way or another, possibly donating them to a "worthy cause" that is having a jumble sale. Maybe I will persuade someone that they really "should" try a fountain pen. "Here! Try this Safari!" In the meantime, it's not like they're taking up that much space.

Why not have a meet up with other FP people in your area and give away or trade some pens?

Chuasam
November 8th, 2014, 09:16 AM
I only have 4 pens I currently use. I'm the chief engineer of distraction and have too many hobbies to collect more than half a dozen pens.