PDA

View Full Version : First MB Purchase. And now the wait...

heymatthew
November 4th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Well, you all have convinced me that I just HAD to have a Montblanc. I went with a 146 in Broad nib from a feller over at FPN (I know, I know... the other forum). I used to only buy fine or extra-fine nibs, but have recently discovered the world of broad nibs and I must say that I'm quite hooked. And what's more luxurious than an MB broad? I suppose SBRE Brown would say, "An MB Double-Broad," but I'm just not there yet. :D

Anyway... not being one to leave anything well enough alone, and being that the pen was coming from the Netherlands, I just had him send it over to another Netherlander to have a little black rhodium work done to it. WHAT!?

So, basically, all of the trim is being plated in black rhodium and the two-tone nib is just having the yellow part plated so it will have black rhodium trim with white rhodium middle section. I'm really, really excited not only for my first MB, but for such a unique piece.

I have my bottle of Albert Einstein gray on standby, patiently awaiting the new pen.

Have you guys had any custom rhodium work done to your MBs? Care to share a photo or two of your favorite customizations?

Best,
Matthew

orfew
November 4th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Congrats on your first MB! Be careful...1 can lead to 40. Please post some pictures once you receive it.

Laura N
November 4th, 2014, 04:04 PM
You made a good choice. I love the MB 146 broad nib. It is stubbish and has character.

Also, who does the plating of the trim? That's an interesting idea.

heymatthew
November 4th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Congrats on your first MB! Be careful...1 can lead to 40. Please post some pictures once you receive it.

I was afraid you might say that... What do you advise I do? :)

Pictures will definitely follow!!

heymatthew
November 4th, 2014, 09:10 PM
You made a good choice. I love the MB 146 broad nib. It is stubbish and has character.

Also, who does the plating of the trim? That's an interesting idea.

Glad to hear you think I made a good choice. I'm excited!!!

Also, a man named Lennard van Zwam does the plating. I found him over at FPN. He's been great so far. I'll keep you guys posted.

heymatthew
November 6th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I got a tracking information about 30 seconds ago, but it's not showing that the pen was delivered yet. I'll just sit here hitting "refresh" until it shows me that it has been delivered. ::Presses Refresh Repeatedly::

orfew
November 6th, 2014, 01:18 PM

The only possible cure is...more MBs.

heymatthew
November 6th, 2014, 01:22 PM

The only possible cure is...more MBs.

Hmmm... Perhaps you're right. I'll have to see what I can sell to make this happen.

Now, what did I do with that darn dog?

Laura N
November 6th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I got a tracking information about 30 seconds ago, but it's not showing that the pen was delivered yet. I'll just sit here hitting "refresh" until it shows me that it has been delivered. ::Presses Refresh Repeatedly::

My son is doing that for his new phone. As of the last update, it was in ZhengZhou, China. "Still?!"

bulbboy
November 6th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Show us s a pic when it comes in!

heymatthew
November 6th, 2014, 08:02 PM

My son is doing that for his new phone. As of the last update, it was in ZhengZhou, China. "Still?!"

I know how he feels. It's been at least 6 hours since the pen shipped and it's still not at my house. I don't know what's taking them so long.

heymatthew
November 6th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Show us s a pic when it comes in!

I definitely will!!!!

Neo
November 6th, 2014, 08:04 PM
Writing sample too?

heymatthew
November 6th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Writing sample too?

My handwriting is nothing to... Write home about (see what I did there?). But I'll do my best. :)

You guys are putting a lot of pressure on this pen. Hope it lives up to our expectations. LOL!!!!

heymatthew
November 14th, 2014, 07:26 AM
Well... The wait is nearly over. I FINALLY got a confirmation that Customs has released my pen after several days in Customs limbo... Shouldn't be too much longer now.

GING GING
November 15th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Well, you all have convinced me that I just HAD to have a Montblanc. I went with a 146 in Broad nib from a feller over at FPN (I know, I know... the other forum). I used to only buy fine or extra-fine nibs, but have recently discovered the world of broad nibs and I must say that I'm quite hooked. And what's more luxurious than an MB broad? I suppose SBRE Brown would say, "An MB Double-Broad," but I'm just not there yet. :D

Anyway... not being one to leave anything well enough alone, and being that the pen was coming from the Netherlands, I just had him send it over to another Netherlander to have a little black rhodium work done to it. WHAT!?

So, basically, all of the trim is being plated in black rhodium and the two-tone nib is just having the yellow part plated so it will have black rhodium trim with white rhodium middle section. I'm really, really excited not only for my first MB, but for such a unique piece.

I have my bottle of Albert Einstein gray on standby, patiently awaiting the new pen.

Have you guys had any custom rhodium work done to your MBs? Care to share a photo or two of your favorite customizations?

Best,
Matthew

Heymatthew, the middle section on mine has three bands. The center band being the thickest. It has Meisterstück stamped into it. The band on either side is just a thin platinum coated band. Are you saying that you're doing all three in a silvery color? Platinum / rhodium. If every thing else is gonna be black, why not the center. What about at least doing the very center band black and you still have the outside bands silver? Your nib will look awesome with black around the outside and the white gold on the inside.14927

heymatthew
November 15th, 2014, 01:16 PM

Best,
Matthew

Heymatthew, the middle section on mine has three bands. The center band being the thickest. It has Meisterstück stamped into it. The band on either side is just a thin platinum coated band. Are you saying that you're doing all three in a silvery color? Platinum / rhodium. If every thing else is gonna be black, why not the center. What about at least doing the very center band black and you still have the outside bands silver? Your nib will look awesome with black around the outside and the white gold on the inside.14927

I'm doing it with black rhodium which is sort of the same as the finish on the Sailor Imperial Black pens. I thought about doing two-tone, but felt like it might be too busy on the cap. I should have the pen Monday or Tuesday so I'll post photos when I get it.

GING GING
November 15th, 2014, 02:40 PM
Great, looking forward to seeing it.

heymatthew
November 18th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Well... It arrived and I'm so happy with Lennard's work. Unfortunately, I don't get along with the nib. It's an awesome nib, but with drier inks, I'm experiencing some baby bottom issues. With wetter inks, it gushes like a water main which, unfortunately, makes it rather unusable for my handwriting as it tends to be a bit small and the heavy flow causes my letters to fill in. Further, the baby bottom problem causes lots of skipping because I write in all caps most of the time and anytime I pause to lift up to go to another letter or word or whatever, it skips on the initial down stroke.

I haven't taken any photos of the pen yet, except for a quick one to share on social media, but here it is none-the-less:

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/post-51852-0-05966100-1416279551.jpg

I'm sending it off to Pendleton Brown today to have the baby bottom issue tightened up and to have the nib reduced a bit to a narrower line (while still retaining some of that lovely stubby quality). I'll re-post here when it comes back and I write a little more with it.

The saga continues...

Laura N
November 18th, 2014, 08:01 AM
It looks beautiful, though!

heymatthew
November 18th, 2014, 08:04 AM

I would agree Laura! If I didn't have such wonky handwriting, I wouldn't change a thing. But I'm rather Neanderthal-ish when it comes to writing and need something a little more forgiving. :)

Laura N
November 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM

I would agree Laura! If I didn't have such wonky handwriting, I wouldn't change a thing. But I'm rather Neanderthal-ish when it comes to writing and need something a little more forgiving. :)

I am exactly the same way. I print, and my writing is a little all over the place, so I find my stubbish broad nibs are the ones that need a little tuning for my imprecise hand.

But I like your handwriting. :)

heymatthew
November 18th, 2014, 10:07 AM

I am exactly the same way. I print, and my writing is a little all over the place, so I find my stubbish broad nibs are the ones that need a little tuning for my imprecise hand.

But I like your handwriting. :)

You're too kind. :)