PDA

View Full Version : Manu Propria - Namban Kawarinuri

Manupropria
November 6th, 2014, 03:40 AM
There is another urushi pen I would like to show.

Kawari-nuri is the term for „Experimental Lacquer“, Namban is the term for foreign things, things and influences that came in from outside Japan

The first working step is to apply the foundations and 5 thinly brushed intermediate layers of black urushi „kuro nakanuri“. Every layer has to dry for 24 hours in the „furô“ under constant temperature of 25°C and humidity of 75%. Before a new layer was brushed on, the previous had to be ground smooth.

Then one after one circle is brushed on with various colors of urushi and sprinkled with different metal powders, Golds, Copper, Platinum, Bronze, Brass, Silver, Tin, Iron and others. After applying one kind of metal powder, the lacquer has to harden for 24 hours before the next metal was applied. Finally 10 layers of highly transparent „kijiomi urushi“ are applied. Every layer has to harden in the furô for 24 hours. After relaxing/curing for a week, the lacquer is ground flat with abrasive paper up to grit 5000. Then the surface is pre-polished „dôzuri“ with rapseed oil and „tonoko“ a fine clay powder.

After carefully cleaned from the oil, the final polishing process „roiro shiage“ started with „uwazuri“, rubbing transparent high quality „kijiomi urushi“ onto the surface and wiping completely off again with paper and dried in the „furô“ for 24 hours. This process is repeated 5 to 6 times. Then the lacquer is polished with rapeseed oil and a polishing powder „migako“ and the finger tips.

After the parts have been cleaned carefully again „kijomi urushi“ is rubbed in and wiped off. After 24 hours again polished with rapseed oil and „migako“. Then „kijiomi urushi“ is rubbed on again and after 24 hours the lacquer is polished hard with migako and soft deer skin or the palms of the hands to achieve the beautiful deep gloss that only can be achieved on urushi. Urushi is becoming clearer and more translucent over the years and the sparkling play of the metal powders will appear even stronger. After a couple of weeks the urushi is well dried and reaches the hardness of glass.

Best regards,

Martin

amk
November 6th, 2014, 04:35 AM
This is absolutely gorgeous. Simplicity of shape, depth of urushi, and the glimmer of gold among the reds and oranges of autumn leaves. It's as much a seasonal statement as any haiku.

EclecticCollector
November 6th, 2014, 10:20 AM
This is beautiful! Can I ask how much something like this would cost? How would one get in touch with you to commission a pen?

Manupropria
November 6th, 2014, 10:22 AM
Hi Eclectic Collector,

For inquiries please contact me by email to info@angularmomentum.com

leighpod
November 18th, 2014, 09:45 PM
Exquisite work!

elderberry
November 18th, 2014, 11:48 PM
Wow, amazing. Love it.

Crazyorange
November 19th, 2014, 05:44 AM
When I was on your site I booked marked a similar pen.....the "Grail" pen. Love the colors and barrel shape. Sigh..must save for one. Truly a work of art.

Manupropria
November 19th, 2014, 06:26 AM
Indeed there are various pens with this specific urushi finish

sgtstretch
November 19th, 2014, 07:05 AM
Those are some beautiful pens!

snedwos
November 20th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Nam Ban is the name of the go club I play in...

Manupropria
November 20th, 2014, 10:38 AM
In Madrid

Crazyorange
November 20th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Indeed there are various pens with this specific urushi finish

That's the one I booked marked. Just lovey. You're very gifted artist. How did you learn the process? Can you post a bit of history about how you got into these pens?

Manupropria
November 21st, 2014, 03:04 AM
How I started with urushi.
By profession I am a atchmaker but some 30 years ago I got involved and fascinated by Japanese art & craft.
One of my great passions since 25 years is "suiseki", the Japanese Art of Stone appreciation. For those interested you can find on my website a downloda version of a book I made a few years ago "Suiseki and the unique view of nature in Japan". http://www.angularmomentum.com/e/press.e/press.e.jsp
Suiseki are natural stones found in rivers suggesting in their shape landscapes and other things

However, these stones are presented in a "daiza", a wooden stand especially made for the stone and these stands are refined with transparent urushi to enhance the grain and color of the wood, mainly rosewood.
I learned how to apply urushi from a Daiza maker in Japan and this was my first contact with urushi

Somewhen I started working with urushi and did a lot of experiments, made dry-lacquer objects "kanshitsu", ceramic and finally dials for watches and started making fountain pens December 2013

Find some works I made

These are some of the ceramic tea bowls I am making. The lacquer is burned onto the surface by high temperature.
Urushi can resist temperatures up to 300°C without changing quality

Here you see "Tsuba", Japanese sword gards. They are made in dry-lacquer technique called "Kanshitsu".
The entire tsuba is built up layer after layer with urushi mixed with metal powders. It took around three month to make one of these tsubas.
The other picture shows a"kanshitsu" work resembling an iron "kogo" incense container cover

And this is a "suiseki" stone with its "daiza" wooden stand. Both are made in Kanshitsu technique and completely made from Ursuhi and hemp cloth.
It took me more than one year to finish this set

Cheers,

Martin

Crazyorange
November 21st, 2014, 06:22 AM
Thanks for sharing. I love hearing your story. Did you ever study with someone? Or did you learn the details through trial and error? Who picks the stones? You?

Manupropria
November 21st, 2014, 08:33 AM
I had to learn things on my own by trial and error.
The stone and stand are both made of kanshitsu urushi. The stone is hollow.
It is made after an original stone that is in my collection that was found in the late Edo-Period