PDA

View Full Version : Medium oblique or broad oblique

avh
July 20th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Hey all,

I have my eye on the Lamy Accent AB Palladium and it is available with both a medium and broad oblique nib but I have no idea at all how that writes. Never give much thought about nibs before, even tough I adore fountain pens. I am left handed and wonder if the medium oblique would suit me. I'd use the pen for normal writing,... Many thanks!

peterpen53
July 20th, 2012, 09:39 AM
If you're left-handed you should take care to get the oblique type that suits your style of writing. Better than trying to explain that, I'll just refer to Richard Binder's excellent explanation http://www.richardspens.com/ref/nibs/primer.htm; scroll down to the oblique section, particularly to its last two paragraphs. (sorry for the clumsy link, but that's how his site works)

As to the nib size that would depend on the size of your writing and what you plan to write with it most. My preference would be broad, but that's me... On top of that, it appears that Lamy's tend to run wide.

Cheers,
Peter

avh
July 21st, 2012, 04:35 AM
After some online research and thanks to the wonderful link you shared with me, I discovered that I'm a left handed underfoot writer, who rotates the pen counterclockwards while writing. So I'd need a left foot oblique. I have contacted the seller of the pens to ask him this, thanks for your kind help.

peterpen53
July 21st, 2012, 04:58 AM
The left foot oblique is the "standard" oblique, so to speak. In most cases you should be good.

Truppi327
July 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
My Lamy 2000 has an oblique medium and it is one of my favorite, daily carry pens. I'm a right-hander but I love left foot obliques because I tend to rotate my pen a bit when I write and I find the oblique very comfortable.

The oblique is very subtle, I'd guess about a 5-10 degree oblique. The nib is soft and a little springy. I don't know how the palladium Lamy nibs write but their version of an OM nib is a pleasure to write with.

avh
July 24th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Thank you, now I am even more inclined to buy the pen :)

goldiesdad
August 1st, 2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the info ...