PDA

View Full Version : Dry Writing Ink

Quantum Sailor
November 8th, 2014, 04:17 PM
So I have a pen that I got recently, it's in the latest pens acquisitions forum actually, that writes super wet. I have messed with the nib as much as I am comfortable with to try and get it a little dryer but nothing has worked too well. So I'm looking for black, dark gray, blue-black inks that would possibly be a little bit thicker than I am using. I actually like wetter pens in fine grade nibs but this one just puts out way too much ink.

Right now I have bung box blue - black in it.

mhosea
November 8th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I avoid dry inks like the plague. Pelikan Royal Blue was pretty dry, and maybe this is common with Pelikan inks. However, most inks will run dryer if you dilute them. That's something you can try right now.

Laura N
November 8th, 2014, 04:42 PM
I love dry inks, because I have a number of pens that need them, like my vintage Pelikans.

Pelikan inks run dry. Pelikan Blue Black especially. Pelikan Edelstein inks do not run dry as a rule, but Edelstein Mandarin does.

Any ink with iron gall tends to run dry. That would include the old versions of Lamy Blue Black and Montblanc Midnight Blue, if you can get them. R&K Salix and Scabiosa are on the dry side, with Scabiosa more dry in my opinion. Pharmacist's inks tend to run dry. Super dry, actually gritty, is Diamine Register's Ink, which is a love-it--or-hate-it ink and I'm on the wrong side of that one.

Diamine Prussian Blue. J. Herbin Café des Îles (can actually dry up in your pen, though).

Montblanc inks tend to run dry, though I'm not sure if they are dry enough for the pen you describe. Parker Quink also tends to run on the more dry side.

A few Pilot Iroshizuku inks run slightly dry, like Fuyu-syogun and Chiku-rin. Also Visconti Blue.

The old Caran D'Ache inks were nicely on the dry side but those are hard to find now.

I agree that dilution will help an ink become more dry.

carlos.q
November 8th, 2014, 06:10 PM
My dry ink of choice is Pelikan 4001 blue-black. Can't get it in the US market but can esaily be imported from Europe.

R&K Salix is also nice.

reprieve
November 8th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Totally agree with the recommendations for Pelikan Blue-black.

I'll also throw Platinum Blue-black out there, which is a mild iron gall comparable to R&K Salix. I prefer the color of the Platinum ink.

Also, I've found Lamy Blue and Herbin Bleu Myosotis to be on the dry side.

TheRealScubaSteve
November 8th, 2014, 09:09 PM
Not quite a blue-black, but R&K Salix is the driest ink that I've yet to try. It tamed one of my pen's over-eager ink flow pretty well.

Jon Szanto
November 8th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I'll throw this one in the mix: Sailor Jentle Blue-Black. I don't know if all the Jentle series inks are like this, but it certainly is on the dry side, and helps tame firehoses. The only thing drier than that in my collection, besides the aforementioned Salix, is Ecclesiastical Stationary Supplies Registrar's Ink, but it's also an iron gall ink, so the caveats apply. A very cool ink, though.

klpeabody
November 9th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I can only second the recommendations given by Laura N, and merely add that I have the newer version of LAMY Blue-Black but it stays true to the old formulation's firehose taming reputation.

As far as grey inks go, I am partial to Diamine Graphite which I find to be well paired with wet writing pens.

I hope you find something you enjoy.

velo
November 9th, 2014, 10:56 PM
I love dry inks, because I have a number of pens that need them, like my vintage Pelikans.

Pelikan inks run dry. Pelikan Blue Black especially. Pelikan Edelstein inks do not run dry as a rule, but Edelstein Mandarin does.

Any ink with iron gall tends to run dry. That would include the old versions of Lamy Blue Black and Montblanc Midnight Blue, if you can get them. R&K Salix and Scabiosa are on the dry side, with Scabiosa more dry in my opinion. Pharmacist's inks tend to run dry. Super dry, actually gritty, is Diamine Register's Ink, which is a love-it--or-hate-it ink and I'm on the wrong side of that one.

Diamine Prussian Blue. J. Herbin Café des Îles (can actually dry up in your pen, though).

Montblanc inks tend to run dry, though I'm not sure if they are dry enough for the pen you describe. Parker Quink also tends to run on the more dry side.

A few Pilot Iroshizuku inks run slightly dry, like Fuyu-syogun and Chiku-rin. Also Visconti Blue.

The old Caran D'Ache inks were nicely on the dry side but those are hard to find now.

I agree that dilution will help an ink become more dry.

I concur with the Fuyu-syogun. I actually didn't like the dryness but now I use it with wetter, bolder nibs and I love it. Shin-Kai is another I found to be the same way.

Quantum Sailor both of these inks with my fine nibs come out dry.

Quantum Sailor
November 9th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Thank you all for your answers I will be trying many of these out.