PDA

View Full Version : My Grail Pen - couldn't be more pleased

Rusty888
November 10th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Somewhere along starting into fountain pens I came across a picture of this pen on the rolex forums.

From that moment I was sold and knew I would have to acquire it.

Given it was a limited edition and from many years ago my work was cut out for me given funds didn't allow me to purchase at the going market price.

As I mentioned my fountain pen collection was stolen and therefore I had to start again. This was the one to be made before the Mont Blanc 146 platinum trim.

The writing is excellent and the smoothest I've had. On comparison with a tuned Mont Blanc.

Thank you to Bryant from chatterly luxuries for the pen and the service was outstanding. Even the test I asked him to perform as I live in Australia. Strongly suggest you contact Bryant for your next pen. I know I will. ( I have two in mind)

Why my Grail you may ask
1. It looks amazing
2. It's part of my profession and passion being business and the Wall Street reference
3. It's unusual - celluloid
4. Interesting filling system both the power filling and the double reservoir.

Without further ado

Llewellyn
November 10th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Somewhere along starting into fountain pens I came across a picture of this pen on the rolex forums.

From that moment I was sold and knew I would have to acquire it.

Given it was a limited edition and from many years ago my work was cut out for me given funds didn't allow me to purchase at the going market price.

As I mentioned my fountain pen collection was stolen and therefore I had to start again. This was the one to be made before the Mont Blanc 146 platinum trim.

The writing is excellent and the smoothest I've had. On comparison with a tuned Mont Blanc.

Thank you to Bryant from chatterly luxuries for the pen and the service was outstanding. Even the test I asked him to perform as I live in Australia. Strongly suggest you contact Bryant for your next pen. I know I will. ( I have two in mind)

Nice looking pen. I might have to consider a Wall Street

I've sent emails to Bryant on two separate occasions and never got a reply. I don't know if I was using an email address that doesn't get monitored but it seemed out of character given his reputation here and across the road

Rusty888
November 10th, 2014, 04:46 AM
I'm not sure which email I sent to. Think it was through the site. Try that one.

With regards to the pen. Also check out the non limited edition pen. It doesn't have the ink view window or the double reservoir. You'll save some money and still get the great looking pen.

Crazyorange
November 10th, 2014, 05:10 AM
Congrats.....beautiful pen. Enjoy.

Bogon07
November 10th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Congratulations on your Green LE Wallstreet. It is a sumptuous looking pen. I think the celluloid on the LEs appear to have a deeper luster than the regular edition cartridge converter pens.

Jon Szanto
November 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM
Congratulations! There is a lot of "happy" when you not only land a grail pen, but find that it also lives up to your (imagined) expectations. I've always enjoyed looking at these WS pens, not in the least for the throwback celluloid design that brings to mind the great Vacumatics. It will always be a no-go for me as long as the Visconti clip adorns it, but I'm glad one of these pens is delighting someone else.

Rusty888
November 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Congratulations! There is a lot of "happy" when you not only land a grail pen, but find that it also lives up to your (imagined) expectations. I've always enjoyed looking at these WS pens, not in the least for the throwback celluloid design that brings to mind the great Vacumatics. It will always be a no-go for me as long as the Visconti clip adorns it, but I'm glad one of these pens is delighting someone else.

Hi john

I completely understand about the clip. Purely decorative. However I don't clip this and keep it in a pen pouch and use a custom 92 for everyday because it has a functional clip

Jon Szanto
November 10th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Ha!

Rusty, the clip doesn't bother me as a clip, it bothers me as a design element, and the way they use the same design clip on pens that... don't share the same lines. Totally an aesthetic thing for me, and this is completely subjective on my part. I realize that many people love the look.

bluefeathers
November 10th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Beautiful pen, congrats on finally purchasing it! I wanted the same pen when I saw it as well (have since gone towards smaller pens, so don't know if I'd purchase it now). It's still gorgeous though!

Laura N
November 10th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Love that celluloid!

inlovewithjournals
November 10th, 2014, 03:47 PM
Oh so beautiful! Congratulations!

Bogon07
November 10th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Ha!

Rusty, the clip doesn't bother me as a clip, it bothers me as a design element, and the way they use the same design clip on pens that... don't share the same lines. Totally an aesthetic thing for me, and this is completely subjective on my part. I realize that many people love the look.

How about the Visconti Manhattan which has a Voyager style clip although the body is round not 'squaring the circle'.

Jon Szanto
November 10th, 2014, 08:36 PM
How about the Visconti Manhattan which has a Voyager style clip although the body is round not 'squaring the circle'.

Thank you, Bogon, I've made note of this. Much more to my liking.

Rusty888
November 10th, 2014, 09:12 PM
Ensure that you get the dream touch palladium nib. It's amazing.

penstaking
March 2nd, 2015, 02:31 AM
Bogon07 et al,

Here is a Visconti Manhattan. Dates from '97 or '98. The nib is not, of course, DreamTouch, though it writes like a dream. The four nibs on the left are an OS Van Gogh Maxi, a Star Dust (Renaissance series, first gen), a Millennium One, and the Manhattan.

TerraNoir
March 2nd, 2015, 06:11 AM
Quite a gorgeous pen. Congratulations on getting it.

Bogon07
March 2nd, 2015, 03:04 PM
Penstaking - congratulations on your blue Manhattan (& also the Millennium One).
It really conveys the skyscraper lit up at night look.
It appears to have a nice big gold nib - is it an 18K ?

Scrawler
March 5th, 2015, 06:27 PM
These are amazing pens. I do not have one, but last year a friend was hospitalized and he asked me to flush and clean his pens because he anticipated a long stay. One was a red Wall Street with palladium nib. Before flushing and storing it, I took the opportunity to write a couple pages with it. I like the feel of the celluloid. I was surprised by the weighty feel of the pen. The only thing I did not like was the fact that after flushing, the power filler mechanism did not squeeze out the last drop of water, which could be seen through the ink window.

Bogon07
March 5th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Yes, the Double Reservoir Power Filler can be a pain to clean short of unscrewing the nib. As water can become trapped in the small ink window reservoir.
An alternative is to go for the smaller regular edition WallStreet with a converter.

Scrawler
March 5th, 2015, 08:30 PM
Yes, the Double Reservoir Power Filler can be a pain to clean short of unscrewing the nib. As water can become trapped in the small ink window reservoir.
An alternative is to go for the smaller regular edition WallStreet with a converter.

Someone else suggested I unscrew the nib, but the owner told me not to. He said that that last drop of water was not a problem. But it was to me, it really grated on me that I could not clean and dry it to my standards. This may be an alternative for some people. I doubt very much that I will be in the market to purchase one of these fine and beautiful instruments myself, but if I did, I would not want a converter. The power filler is efficient and a very nice alternative filling method.

StacyBean
March 6th, 2015, 06:29 AM
May you enjoy this pen in good health, spirits and dream touch nib joy. I am having an interesting experience desiring to acquire this pen so much and then retreating from the precipice. It would be my current first choice were the fountain pen genie to appear ( in Burgundy with a stub or broad nib).