PDA

View Full Version : Delta Unica <M> Too Wet

TheRealScubaSteve
November 11th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I recently purchased an orange celluloid Delta Unica from GPC. It's really juicy and smooth with a medium nib, but I cannot seem to find an ink that won't feather and spread badly. Admittedly, I don't have a lot of dry inks, but I do have (and tried) R&K Salix. I've even tried adding water to some of the inks - in some cases it made the feathering worse. The Unica did not even bat an eye. I've tried several papers, too - Mohawk 20lb VIA, 90g Clairefontaine, 80g Rhodia, and 24lb Black N Red notebooks.

Does anyone have any experience with this pen? I love its wetness and really don't want to have to make it drier if I can help it.

john
November 13th, 2014, 07:31 PM
I don't have any Delta pen, but your situation is like my Visconti Opera with the B nib. It writes very smooth but very wet. Always leaves pools of ink on the paper. So I pull the nib off from the section and squeeze the tines closer, now the ink flow is better than before.

TheRealScubaSteve
November 13th, 2014, 10:50 PM
Hi John,

I was hoping someone knew of some inks or paper combinations that could avoid having to "modify" the pen, but it seems as though it will be necessary. Yafa was of no assistance other than suggesting their own brand (Monteverde) of ink and Brian Goulet was stumped since even Salix wouldn't work. Hopefully it will only need a very minor adjustment to stop the feathering.

Thanks,
Steve

alc3261
November 14th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Try Pelikan 4001 ink?

erpe
November 14th, 2014, 07:30 AM
I have the Unica with an F nib, use it mostly with Pelikan 4001 blueblack, R&K Salix and deAtramentis Amaretto on Oxford Optik and Rhodia R. I specifically went for the F after Brian Goulet showed the Serena M to be quite wet, they share the nibs. No feathering really.

Nigel
January 26th, 2015, 03:15 PM
The Unica and Serena from Delta are very wet writers. They both have the same nibs. My soluion was to use a fine nib instead of a medium nib.

Ste_S
February 17th, 2015, 04:03 AM
The medium I have is almost like a broad. It is wet, but having no problems with bleedthrough or feathering with Visconti Blue on Rhodia.
I love the broad/wet nature of the medium nib on this pen. If you're looking for a regular medium, I'd definately go with a fine nib.
If you want an actual fine, well the Japanese pens are over that way ;)