PDA

View Full Version : Change out Neposet nib to Goulet #6

Woody
November 11th, 2014, 07:22 PM
I'm just wondering if you can swap out the new Noodler music nibs with a Goulet nib. I've done this with a couple of Ahabs and have had some success. The build quality of the Neposet is what Im interested in rather than the nib system itself. Many thanks. -Bill-

Jon Szanto
November 11th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Good grief, that would make it around the order of a $90.00 pen, and you can *certainly* get better $90.00 pens than that.

Neo
November 11th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Probably not as the feed has 2 channels for the music nib.

Lady Onogaro
November 11th, 2014, 08:36 PM
I think SBRE Brown talks about this in his review of the pen. If I recall, he says no because of the feed. Also, I don't think the #6 nib is big enough to replace the music nib.

Woody
November 11th, 2014, 08:57 PM
Good grief, that would make it around the order of a $90.00 pen, and you can *certainly* get better $90.00 pens than that.
Good point. Like a darn good Guider.

moynihan
November 12th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I also have done so with Ahabs & an Ebonite Konrad, after washing/brushing the feed. Makes for a pretty nice writer, and nice colors.

KBeezie
November 13th, 2014, 09:09 AM
You could do it with most of Noodler's larger pens as #6 nibs fit nicely into the Noodler's Pens. It's just trying to gt the Noodler's nibs into other pens that's the difficult part.

However the Neponset's feed/etc was specifically designed to provide ample ink and distribution to the flexy music nib (it's bigger than #6 though isn't it?).

I usually would have only considered this in something like the Ahab where a 20$ pen with large ink capacity becomes desirable. I like all the Goulet nibs I've gotten they were quite good, but I do agree that the base pen at $75 would be nicer if I wasn't getting it solely for the flexy music nib. As to why buy something at that price other than that specific purpose only to remove it's major selling point putting it back at roughly the same pen as the Ahab or Konrad, etc but at a $90+ price range.

You could easily find out if you got a spare Jinhao, Nemosine, etc nib sitting around and didn't want to buy a Goulet nib just to try it out.

TheRealScubaSteve
November 13th, 2014, 06:41 PM
If it fits a #6 well, you can also buy the normal feeds separately ($4 I think) if the two channels causes flow issues.

KBeezie
November 13th, 2014, 06:56 PM
If it fits a #6 well, you can also buy the normal feeds separately ($4 I think) if the two channels causes flow issues.

It's not.

See here : http://www.gourmetpens.com/2014/08/review-noodlers-neponset-fountain-pen.html

Neponset vs Ahab vs Creeper, the Ahab is #6

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3841/14615371277_ae4b7c3485_z.jpg

moynihan
November 14th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Will an Ahab feed fit in the section of the Neponset?

moynihan
November 14th, 2014, 04:02 PM
A little experimenting.
I tried putting an Ahab feed in the Neponset section. The Ahab feed is way to narrow.
But,
I used the Neponset feed with a Goulet nib (broad). Fits fine. So far (After less than 1 hour), it write great, smooth and very wet. Using Iroshizuku Take-Sumi (but not creeping or sloppy). Will try that out for awhile and post back.

TheRealScubaSteve
November 14th, 2014, 07:10 PM
So it'd seem that a #6 work will work after all. It will be interesting to see if it continues to flow well despite the nib slit being misaligned with the feed channels.

moynihan
November 14th, 2014, 08:44 PM
So it'd seem that a #6 work will work after all. It will be interesting to see if it continues to flow well despite the nib slit being misaligned with the feed channels.

I looked at the top of feed briefly. Looked like there were three groves on the to of it, not two, and the outer ones angle in.

moynihan
November 15th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Well, it is really wet. The broad worked fine, but it could cause show through with an almost bleed through on Clairefontaine. :jaw: have switched to a Goulet #6 medium point.

KBeezie
November 15th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Well, it is really wet. The broad worked fine, but it could cause show through with an almost bleed through on Clairefontaine. :jaw: have switched to a Goulet #6 medium point.

The feed will probably be too wet for just about any standard round point #6 you put in there without some kind of adjustment.

Does it leak at all from the space given up by the smaller nib?

moynihan
November 15th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Does it leak at all from the space given up by the smaller nib?

No, not yet. Have not subjected it though to either shaking or temperature variation though.
The three channels on the top of the nib a very close to each other. I like the medium # 6 on it. Wet, not ghosty/bleed through though on the Clairfontaine. Really nice on HP premium 32# copy paper, Tomoe River.

moynihan
November 20th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Have had my Neponset fitted with Goulet #6 medium nib now for a few days.
Use it at home, primarily due to its size.
So far:
Reliable, wet, no skipping on start up, no gushing, creeping etc.
Me like. :)

KBeezie
November 20th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Have had my Neponset fitted with Goulet #6 medium nib now for a few days.
Use it at home, primarily due to its size.
So far:
Reliable, wet, no skipping on start up, no gushing, creeping etc.
Me like. :)

What features or qualities does the Neponset have over the Ahab/Konrad/etc when you remove it's Music nib? (ie: why not just get an Ahab or Konrad Acrylic with a #6?)

moynihan
November 20th, 2014, 08:14 AM
The benfit well vary from person it person. For me:
I am a fan of The Big Black Pen :)
It writes very nice with the replacement nib.
I like ebonite.
Already have Ahabs and an ebonite konrad (all with replacement nibs).
I use FP's as tools, all day into evening. For flex-fun i have a couple vintage models that our true flex.

gbryal
November 20th, 2014, 10:48 AM
The benfit well vary from person it person. For me:
I am a fan of The Big Black Pen :)
It writes very nice with the replacement nib.
I like ebonite.
Already have Ahabs and an ebonite konrad (all with replacement nibs).
I use FP's as tools, all day into evening. For flex-fun i have a couple vintage models that our true flex.

You might like the offerings at Fountain Pen Revolution: http://fountainpenrevolution.com/
They have lots of big ebonite pens. The only Indian ebonite I have tried to put a goulet nib in is my Ranga Duofold, which works well, but I think it might be possible with the FPR pens as well.