PDA

View Full Version : Easterbrook Sac Problem

Dad Of Sapling
November 15th, 2014, 04:03 PM
I replaced the sac on my Esterbook a little over a year ago. This week it started leaking, which was surprising because it had never leaked before. I pulled it apart today to have a look expecting to find a hole or tear in the sac. What I found was the sac had, for a lack of a better term, melted! It was just this really sticky blob of goo.

I have always been very good at cleaning the pen and have always used trusted FP ink. Mostly Noodlers Dark Matter.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Could it be the ink, or something else? I'd like to figure this out before changing the sac again.

Thanks in advance.

00Photo
November 15th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I have been told that a few years ago a batch of rubber sacs had been made with the wrong formulation and they would melt after a short time in use. Both Susan Wirth and someone else had told me that. I have not run across any luckily. That being said many, many, many people say Noodler's inks are the devil and will melt sacs and feeds. Etiher you got one of the bad sacs or you've just proven Noodler's does indeed melt sacs.

Farmboy
November 15th, 2014, 07:04 PM
That batch of bad sacs was at least 10 years ago and they got funky even before being put into a pen. I suspect the bad sacs have long left the supply chain. I am unaware of a recent bad run of sacs but anything is possible.

As noted, there are some inks implicated in the destruction of modern sacs. There seem to be a lot of variables and not many repeated experiments.

welch
November 16th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Try another ink. There have been reports about Noodlers, but a QA defect will happen once out of 100 or 1,000 tries. Not easy to repeat. I had a P51 Vac sac/diaphragm turn to goo even though I use Diamine Sapphire Blue most often. That's one of he most reliable inks...weird things happen!

Dad Of Sapling
November 23rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm in the process of moving, so once I find my box of pen repairing tools I can get it back up a running with a new ink.