PDA

View Full Version : Studios

Bogon07
July 23rd, 2012, 11:20 PM
Today in Pen Ultimate I noticed a blue-black Studio and was wondering if it was a new colour. They also had a brushed stainless steel 2000.
Checking the Goulet Pen Company they have a similar blue-black labled as Imperial Blue http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Studio_Imperial_Blue_Fountain_Pen_p/l67ib.htm
which seemed strange as all the previous photos I've seen of Imperial seemed to be a lighter slightly greenish blue like the one on the Lamy site.

KMPN's blog compare the old matt blue which has a slight purple edge to it to the new Imperial Blue which also looks blue-black in his/her comparison shots.
http://kmpn.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/lamy-studio-imperial-blue.html

Here are Studios I found out about so far:
Imperial Blue - L67IB

Matt Blue - L67BE

Matt Black - L67

Brushed Steel - L65

Grey Platinum - L68P or Matt Anthracite (14K bicolor gold nib)

Palladium - L68 (14K bicolor gold nib)

Violet - L66?

Platinum - L69 (14K bicolor gold nib)

Royal Red - LO68 LE 2012 (14K bicolor gold nib)
http://www.gouletpens.com/Lamy_Studio_Red_Fountain_Pen_p/l068.htm

Pearl White - L66? (14K bicolor gold nib)

Pearl Black

Bronze

KMPN's blog has a good picture of most of the Studios.
http://kmpn.blogspot.com.au/2010/04/lamy-studio-collection.html

KrazyIvan
July 24th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I heard that they switched the blue color version. I like the Imperial Blue version more.

Bogon07
July 24th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I heard that they switched the blue color version. I like the Imperial Blue version more.

But which imperial blue ?
The one on the Lamy site or the Goulet's blue-black.
It is disconcerting that the Lamy photo is so dramatically different, maybe due to too much flash.

Lt. Tom
July 25th, 2012, 09:50 AM
One of the things that got me excited about fountain pens was a co-worker that has one of the matt blue Studios. I promised myself that if I really got into this I would buy myself one just like it. I'd better scoop one up quickly, because that new dark blue-black Imperial Blue represented on Goulet's site doesn't appeal to me even a little bit. The Imperial Blue shown at the beginning of this thead looks OK, though. In either case I like the old blue better.

Bogon07
July 25th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Lt Tom,
My matt Blue came from PilotfishPens in the UK. Very fast shipping from UK to Australia. Very cheap compared to the Aust rrp too. Came with a blue lamy cartridge but in a Safari box.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lamy-STUDIO-Fountain-Pen-Matt-lacquered-BLUE-medium-nib-/251094367026?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PensPencils_Writing Equipment_SM&hash=item3a7663fb32

I think the seller also has a non-eBay shop 'TheOnlinePenCompany' With both the matt Blue and Imperial Blue(using the stock Lamy photo)
http://www.theonlinepencompany.com/pencompany/product_fp.php?cat1=Lamy&cat2=Studio&cat3=Fountain%20Pen

etoyoc
July 25th, 2012, 05:01 PM
A lot of those studios would be stunning, if it weren't for the section. I really would like to see the section from the stainless model offered on the other studio pens.

Bogon07
July 25th, 2012, 09:32 PM
A lot of those studios would be stunning, if it weren't for the section. I really would like to see the section from the stainless model offered on the other studio pens.

You could get a brushed stainless fountain pen and then a rollerball of one of the other and swap the sections. It would be a cheaper way of getting one of the more expensive barrels if you weren't too fussed about the gold nib or wanted say a harder to get violet fountain pen. Maybe Lamy might sell the section separately; I think they may do that with the Al-Stars.

etoyoc
July 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
You could get a brushed stainless fountain pen and then a rollerball of one of the other and swap the sections. It would be a cheaper way of getting one of the more expensive barrels if you weren't too fussed about the gold nib or wanted say a harder to get violet fountain pen. Maybe Lamy might sell the section separately; I think they may do that with the Al-Stars.

True, I guess that is something to think about. You are right, they do sell the safari and al-star sections, so maybe they sell the section. Hmmm... A black studio with the black section from the stainless with a black nib.... I suppose the propeller will still be the wrong color.

Maja
July 26th, 2012, 01:54 AM

I don't know....I own a stainless steel Studio with a rubberized grip and a Bronze Studio with a shiny metal grip and I wonder how many years the rubber grip section will last. I've had ballpoint pen (admittedly, cheap ones NOT made by Lamy) grip sections start to break down over time, so I try to avoid FPs with rubber grips. I'm hoping that Lamy has put more thought and time into the manufacturing of their rubberized grips and I won't have to worry about it happening to my beloved Stainless Studio :(

As for the new Royal Red...It looks nice but I don't trust my computer monitor to show its true redness; I've been burned on a few Ebay auctions where I thought a pen was more red than it actually was :rant: (<----this is me ranting about my monitor, not the Ebay seller!)

etoyoc
July 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM
I don't know....I own a stainless steel Studio with a rubberized grip and a Bronze Studio with a shiny metal grip and I wonder how many years the rubber grip section will last. I've had ballpoint pen (admittedly, cheap ones NOT made by Lamy) grip sections start to break down over time, so I try to avoid FPs with rubber grips. I'm hoping that Lamy has put more thought and time into the manufacturing of their rubberized grips and I won't have to worry about it happening to my beloved Stainless Studio :(

You make a good point. Although I know on some level that the Lamy grip is "rubber", I don't usually think of it as such. I have several pens with ebonite sections and wasn't thinking about long term survival of that Lamy section. I just prefer the way that it looks and feels. But time will tell and I haven't had any of my pens long enough to judge.

Maja
July 26th, 2012, 12:45 PM
@ etoyoc: Wow....I just realized your username is 'coyote' spelled backwards.... :redface:

:focus:

Well, I think ebonite is pretty durable, assuming you don't subject it to extreme heat & humidity. Think of all the black hard rubber pens that have survived 90+ years :)
(as an aside, Ron Dutcher of Kamakura Pens wrote an interesting article about the heat & humidity problem here (http://www.kamakurapens.com/Windows.html))

Re: the Studio....Knowing that the Studio's grip is actual rubber makes me feel a lot better. :)

etoyoc
July 26th, 2012, 01:26 PM
@ etoyoc: Wow....I just realized your username is 'coyote' spelled backwards.... :redface:

:focus:

Re: the Studio....Knowing that the Studio's grip is actual rubber makes me feel a lot better. :)

Yup... the backwards coyote.

I didn't mean that the section is actual rubber. I was putting air quotes around the word rubber in my head when I was typing. I don't know what it is. I assume it is a plastic with some type of compound sleeve bonded to it to give it the "rubber" feel. However, I have not had much success narrowing it down to exactly what that material is. Perhaps it is actual rubber.

Yes, new sections (or as the Lamy website states - fronts) can be purchased from Lamy, but there is no option to choose the type of section unlike the ability to purchase a different color cap. Interestingly enough, the only front they have is the L65f, and as the stainless studio is the L65, then maybe the replacement front available through Lamy is the black "rubbery" one.

Bogon07
July 26th, 2012, 10:22 PM
As for the new Royal Red...It looks nice but I don't trust my computer monitor to show its true redness; I've been burned on a few Ebay auctions where I thought a pen was more red than it actually was :rant: (<----this is me ranting about my monitor, not the Ebay seller!)

I think the Goulet Pens photos of it would be fairly true to the real colour. Their attention to detail and customer satisfaction would ensure that their pictures are an accurate representation of what they are selling.

Long term use of "Rubber" grips have been a concern as they are suspectable absorbing solvents and chemicals that maybe on the user's hands. I had a budget mechanical pencil grip that broke down completely when it tied to clean it with a mild solution of dishwashing liquid.
One of the reasons I took so long to buy the Lamy Nexx pens was the worry about their grip sections. The main thing is to ensure you have clean hands before using them.

Maja
July 27th, 2012, 01:53 AM
@Bogon07: Not sure which "rubber" your mechanical pencil was made of but I checked the LamyUSA site and they say that both the Nexx and Nexx M have a "contoured rubber grip ".
As for the Goulets, I have no doubts at all how detail-oriented and conscientious they are; I just don't trust my computer monitor.:typing: )

@etoyoc: No problem...I will keep using my Stainless Studio until the grip gives out (or I do! :bounce:)

Grendel
July 28th, 2012, 02:44 AM

Lamy USA sells the section for $25 here (http://lamyusa.com/buyreplace_fountain_studio.php).

KrazyIvan
July 28th, 2012, 12:53 PM
anyone know if the black section and the chrome sections are interchangeable?

etoyoc
July 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM
I think they are; however, I may just have to see if I can get a fairly cheap black studio and swap out the black section from the stainless and the chrome section from the black. :~)

Maja
July 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM
anyone know if the black section and the chrome sections are interchangeable?

Yes, they do! I just checked, and the black rubbery ;) section on my Stainless Studio fits on my Bronze Studio, and the chrome section from my Bronze fits on my Stainless. Both fountain pens cap properly with a 'click' when either section is on the pens.

KrazyIvan
July 28th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Thank you Maja.

Maja
July 29th, 2012, 01:58 AM
You're welcome, KI :D

MrsGouletPens
July 29th, 2012, 12:30 PM
A few things to contribute here:

1) The new "Royal Red" LE is not very red, IMHO. It looks quite orange/coppery to me. Very pretty, just not red! Hopefully our pictures reflect that correctly, we try to color-adjust everything to make it as accurate to real life as possible.
2) They did switch from more of a royal blue (Blue, L67BE) to a navy blue (Imperial Blue, L67IB). Here's a picture comparison and video too: http://www.gouletpens.com/Articles.asp?ID=334

Hope that helps! :)

Bogon07
July 29th, 2012, 06:15 PM
A few things to contribute here:

1) The new "Royal Red" LE is not very red, IMHO. It looks quite orange/coppery to me. Very pretty, just not red! Hopefully our pictures reflect that correctly, we try to color-adjust everything to make it as accurate to real life as possible.
2) They did switch from more of a royal blue (Blue, L67BE) to a navy blue (Imperial Blue, L67IB). Here's a picture comparison and video too: http://www.gouletpens.com/Articles.asp?ID=334

Hope that helps! :)

MrsGouletPens,
Your site is one of the few to accurately reflect the colour of the new Imperial Blue Studio just about everyone else seems to have used Lamy's overbright stock photo to portray this pen. It was quite a shock to see the actual dark navy colour of one in a shop, I can imagine the surprise of anyone who bought one based on the colour shown on most sites especially eBay and other on-line pen retailers..

ballboy
October 31st, 2012, 09:54 AM
Out of the brushed steel and Palladium Studios I had, I preferred the rubber grip on the former. I had to be aware of the sharpness of the cap edge when capping the pen incase it caught and possibly cut the section. Nice pens with the right nib.

Bogon07
November 22nd, 2012, 08:04 PM
The local city pen shop has the Royal Red Studio RollerBall & the Ballpoint. Red Red is visually a very striking and unique colour especially in the Studio's satin finish.
Even taking into account the odd lighting in the shop the colour leans way more towards orange than red. More of an orange with a touch of red tint than the other way around.

Montblanc Winter Glow Ink (2012) would go well with this fountain pen.

Tony Rex
July 4th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Took this pic while refurbishing the Platinum Grey. It had had a rough life, with deep scratches, a loose clip, misaligned 14C tines, clogged with red ink, etc. But it responds well to TLC, now it's like new except for the battle scars.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/9204745311_f9a3fd8931_z.jpg

Here it is today.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3792/9211160901_4e93fcf72b_z.jpg

Tony

Update: I ground the nib into XXF now. Cheers.

CapeClear
July 5th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Lovely job Tony! That nib is gorgeous. I bought a stainless steel Studio in HK last week for the knockdown price of €25! I purchased it from a Lamy boutique that was closing down. I was a bit skeptical of its authenticity but it's the real deal. It came with a stainless nib of course but I've popped on a 1.5mm italic (my favourite Lamy nib). It's my new favourite pen! It's weighted perfectly for me (imported) and great for marathon writing sessions.

AtomicLeo
July 27th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I do like the Studios but have been turned off by the color choices. The Royal Red isn't red. The Imperial Blue is almost a matte black. I handled the older blue in my local store a few years ago, but passed it over for a Pilot Knight. Really, wished I had bought it, too. I like that older blue color.

KrazyIvan
July 27th, 2013, 12:08 PM
I liked the black but it just got too heavy for my hand.

velo
July 27th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I bought the brushed steel version because of the rubberized grip. I really like it especially with the 1.1 italic nib.

Bogon07
July 28th, 2013, 02:30 AM
I do like the Studios but have been turned off by the color choices. The Royal Red isn't red. The Imperial Blue is almost a matte black. I handled the older blue in my local store a few years ago, but passed it over for a Pilot Knight. Really, wished I had bought it, too. I like that older blue color.

It is not too late, you can still get one from the ColnGallery UK http://www.colnart.com/collections/lamy-pens-1/products/lamy-studio-matt-blue-fountain-pen