PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the ignore tip

jar
November 16th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I have been using forums and even creating a few for a long time yet I have always totally ignored the ignore feature... until today. Today I used it for the very first time and I feel wonderful.

Great feature and even though I doubt I will use it again, at least for a decade or so, I appreciate that it exists.

Waski_the_Squirrel
November 16th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Unfortunately, that means you will not be able to read this!

:)

jar
November 16th, 2014, 08:10 AM
Ah Squirrel, though you try to hide your chatter betrays you.

Which reminds me, on a visit to Toronto. Damn they seem to have the biggest, meanest squirrels I've met so far. Black as night and twice as scary.

mrcharlie
November 16th, 2014, 03:21 PM
I think yesterday was the first time I've ever used it; certainly the first time on this forum. I forgot to unsubscribe the thread that prompted it though; easily rectified today.

Neo
November 16th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I think yesterday was the first time I've ever used it; certainly the first time on this forum. I forgot to unsubscribe the thread that prompted it though; easily rectified today.

Would you provide directions please?

jar
November 16th, 2014, 03:39 PM

Would you provide directions please?

In settings on the left side there is "edit ignore list"

For subscriptions under settings ----> subscriptions check the thread and then there is a drop down menu that lets you delete a subscription.

Neo
November 16th, 2014, 03:48 PM
thank you

Jon Szanto
November 16th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Anyone have any idea if having a person on ignore will hide any thread they start as well? Or will it show just the replies?

jar
November 16th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Anyone have any idea if having a person on ignore will hide any thread they start as well? Or will it show just the replies?

It only hides posts from the ignored person. The interesting videos are still seen.

Jon Szanto
November 16th, 2014, 04:46 PM

It only hides posts from the ignored person. The interesting videos are still seen.

Ultra-bonus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nAMFWDuDEI

jar
November 16th, 2014, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B41dXQp6Bw&list=RD-B41dXQp6Bw#t=0

Chrissy
November 16th, 2014, 05:37 PM

Thank you for the tip. I've never used it before until now but I think it works quite well.

Jon Szanto
November 16th, 2014, 06:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

mrcharlie
November 16th, 2014, 10:34 PM
For subscriptions under settings ----> subscriptions check the thread and then there is a drop down menu that lets you delete a subscription.

When you reply to a topic you automatically "subscribe" to it, or at least my account is set to do that (I don't remember if I had to set that or if it was the default). If you find you no longer care to be reading that topic, just scroll to the top and use the "Thread tools" pop-up to unsub from it.

Sailor Kenshin
November 24th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Ah Squirrel, though you try to hide your chatter betrays you.

Which reminds me, on a visit to Toronto. Damn they seem to have the biggest, meanest squirrels I've met so far. Black as night and twice as scary.

They've filtered down into New York State.

And elsewhere. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_squirrel)

orfew
November 24th, 2014, 05:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q

Thanks for posting this. I love that performance.

Farmboy
November 24th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Ignore =
http://youtu.be/UtsClj04oIE

Frank
November 26th, 2014, 07:27 PM
I'm ignoring you.......

;-)

Flounder
December 2nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Is there any way to implement a sort of 'scroll friendly' ignore option that also blanks out the quotes from users on your ignore list from people's thread replies?

As is, I get this sort of thing:

[this message is hidden because x is on your ignore list]

then next thread posts will have replies with a quote that shows up from the ignored post, like

"originally posted by x My opinions are more valid than other peoples, straw man... moving on... derail thread with cross-forum chatter"

Jon Szanto
December 2nd, 2014, 12:03 PM
That's a really tricky one, and I've seen ignore functions on a lot of forums over the years and I'm not sure I've seen that successfully dealt with.

Chris Pen
December 2nd, 2014, 12:48 PM
I'm getting real close to using it for the first time ever, on any site I've belonged to. I'm hoping this particular member redeems himself, but I'm not holding my breath.

mrcharlie
December 2nd, 2014, 09:22 PM
Is there any way to implement a sort of 'scroll friendly' ignore option that also blanks out the quotes from users on your ignore list from people's thread replies?
[SNIP --mrcharlie]
"originally posted by x My opinions are more valid than other peoples, straw man... moving on... derail thread with cross-forum chatter"
While the people who write the software this forum uses could probably implement that--as long as the quotes used the "quote=username" and not just blank "quote" tags, or broken quote tags--unless the software authors have done so it is unlikely the local forum owner can implement it. Perhaps that is an option the forum owner's could turn on though. You might want to PM dan if he's not reading this topic.

Even if he could turn that on, it wouldn't really hide the whole digression/thread derailment from you.

The thread/item/topic that likely prompted your post was a smoking tire fire (all heat, no light, smells bad) almost from the beginning. Unless you are in the mood to watch or participate in an ugly argument, better off just unsubscribing from that topic (I don't suppose there is a way to "ignore" a topic in the "new posts/what's new" listing?).

I don't see a way, but you could read the item in "threaded mode" or "hybrid mode", and not read the sub-threads that show posts from the person you feel derails the discussion.

Farmboy
December 3rd, 2014, 03:21 AM
Such an ignore feature would be doable from a programming end. Not so easy to code cleanly and one could side step it relatively easy without extensive text matching.

I hope it is hay fever and not a complete adversion to farm kids that has spiked the use of the ignore feature.

GING GING
December 3rd, 2014, 09:46 AM
Test

Empty_of_Clouds
December 3rd, 2014, 02:05 PM
Or, you could use your own inbuilt ignore function. That's what I do, though I find even the annoying posters (I'm sure I fit in there somewhere myself!) somewhat entertaining at times. If I don't want to read them I skim past. Simples.

Flounder
December 3rd, 2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the explanation guys. Crypros, that's what I'm doing, it's just my thumb cannot keep up with the screeds and screeds of repeatedly re-quoted blocks of text sometimes.

Finalist
December 4th, 2014, 06:00 PM
ooooh My annoyance level just went way down. thanks!

pajaro
December 12th, 2014, 08:33 AM
I have used ignore from time to time. RATS. The name keeps popping up!

The squirrels in Pensacola, Florida, were smaller than these darn Yankee squirrels in Michigan. Those gray squirrels in Florida did a lot more damage than the ones up here in Yanquilandia. Squirrels up here in bluebellyland are brown and twice the size of Florida squirrels. The only good thing about Michigan is the more benign squirrels. They are amusing anyway, and our old cats chase them to our amusement. My wife's the native of this backwater. You should ignore this.

Laura N
June 29th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Reviving this post today. We need a reminder.

Jon Szanto
June 29th, 2015, 09:54 PM

Rats! I pissed her off again!

Wile E Coyote
June 30th, 2015, 04:09 AM

The squirrels in Pensacola, Florida, were smaller than these darn Yankee squirrels in Michigan. Those gray squirrels in Florida did a lot more damage than the ones up here in Yanquilandia. Squirrels up here in bluebellyland are brown and twice the size of Florida squirrels. The only good thing about Michigan is the more benign squirrels. They are amusing anyway, and our old cats chase them to our amusement. My wife's the native of this backwater. You should ignore this.

There's another good thing about yankee squirrels...you CAN eat only one.

Chrissy
June 30th, 2015, 05:49 AM

Rats! I pissed her off again!
Surely not? :bounce:

Waski_the_Squirrel
June 30th, 2015, 08:45 AM

There's another good thing about yankee squirrels...you CAN eat only one.

Some of us take the whole eating squirrels thing personally. :)

VertOlive
June 30th, 2015, 09:05 AM
"The only good thing about Michigan "...hey, I resemble that remark! :blink: