PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Parker 45 fountain pen

Rick Krantz
November 16th, 2014, 12:24 PM

It's gone. I'm giving it away

Rick Krantz
November 16th, 2014, 12:38 PM
please note.... the only item being sold in this listing is the Parker 45.

when I have additional time, I will try to include more in this forum.

Paypal is not an accepted means of payment.

this item is also listed on other pen message boards, such as pentrace, fountain pen board, and fountain pen classified) so please be considerate of that if you find that it is previously sold.

this was not a painful listing, it was quite streamlined, it did not allow me to list all my items, but the ease certainly weas there.

shipping fwiw, is $4.00 domestic, and $10 international

thanks!
Rick

Empty_of_Clouds
November 16th, 2014, 12:41 PM
Quick question: why no PayPal?

Rick Krantz
November 16th, 2014, 01:08 PM
because I don't want to use their service anymore.

its the same to use Square, if you think about it.

carlos.q
November 16th, 2014, 01:51 PM
because I don't want to use their service anymore.

its the same to use Square, if you think about it.

Pardon my ignorance but what is Square? And what other methods of payment would be acceptable?

Rick Krantz
November 16th, 2014, 03:09 PM
basically, if you have a credit card or debit card, I send you an invoice from Square.

you pay using your credit card or debit card.

I used their services for some time for point of purchase sales at pen shows, and only recently found out I could invoice thru their system as well.

I have been pleased with their services, and figured it might be my new direction.

I invite you to give it a try.

rdcalhoon
November 16th, 2014, 06:17 PM
I have been using the Square reader and register for several years now. I haven't used the Invoice service, but now I can think of a couple of uses for me.

Rick Krantz
November 26th, 2014, 04:09 PM
still got the 45.

several customers have used Square and ClearXChange with great success.

maybe you can be the next one.....

Rick Krantz
November 28th, 2014, 02:22 PM
For those that don't know, Square is easy to use.

They are a secure site that processes payment via a credit card or debit card.

I send you an invoice, and you simply pay on your end.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have had several people use the service and really liked the results.

ainterne
November 28th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Why not use both...so that customers that like paying with PayPal can purchase also? Just a thought.... I only buy via PayPal. I buy a lot of pens and it means I can keep a track of them all via one place. + the wife doesn't look there..

Rick Krantz
November 28th, 2014, 06:20 PM
no more paypal. I no longer like their revised terms.

In addition, the same way you pay with paypal is essentially the same as square.

and clearxchange

if you have a paypal debit card, you can pay thru square.

and

a us postal money order or personal check works as well.

unfortunately I cannot figure out how to ensure your wife doesn't notice. I try not to keep my pen spending secret from her, fwiw, she brokered her first vintage pen purchase this week. She did well.

ainterne
November 28th, 2014, 09:06 PM
no more paypal. I no longer like their revised terms.

In addition, the same way you pay with paypal is essentially the same as square.

and clearxchange

and

a us postal money order or personal check works as well.

unfortunately I cannot figure out how to ensure your wife doesn't notice. I try not to keep my pen spending secret from her, fwiw, she brokered her first vintage pen purchase this week. She did well.

:-)... Cool... one of many I hope for the wife..... I don't keep mine secret, she just doesn't look there......or is that the same? ..lol...

No I don't have a debit card with PayPal, will Square offer me "Pay after delivery"? It's a great offering for buyers..I don't like credit, but it does give me a little more protection.

Chrissy
November 29th, 2014, 06:26 AM
I too prefer to pay by PayPal I get money in that account and like to use it to buy things. It's a nice pen, but with no PayPal, I will wait for the next one to come along

Rick Krantz
November 29th, 2014, 12:58 PM
It's alright on the 45. I'm going to give it away to a newbie into pens. About 15 years ago, I worked with a guy who saw me use pens, and my passion for the hobby. Weird how we sorta lost contact and somehow he found himself buying a few modern pens. I guess something impressed itself on him, working with me. I tried to find him a few times and lost contact, out of the blue he found me on Facebook. He's coming back to PA this weekend and I'm going to go pen hunting with him. Figured the least I could do is give him a few pens to start him out. Thanks for your interest on this and your interest or should I say fear of trying something different. I have to say I have been selling fairly well without PayPal, it's great for a buyer, but policy changes as a seller is making PayPal far less inviting, unfortunately. It's hard to understand, but in addition to charging me a few percent, they want to dictate how I do business now, and I don't agree with that. So those that have tried square, thank you! Keep taking advantage of the attractive deals I will continue to offer. Those that are PayPal only, enjoy looking from the outside.

Hawk
November 29th, 2014, 03:49 PM
I see your eBay store accepts PayPal. Different terms? Just nosey.

Rick Krantz
November 29th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I was not aware I had an eBay store? Or any ongoing sales on eBay. Being that you cannot really sell on eBay without using PayPal, it might answer the question as to why I don't have any current items on eBay, or plan to have any future items there either.

KBeezie
November 29th, 2014, 04:30 PM
PS: I have Square too on my phone, except most people do not like giving their credit or debit card number to an individual.

Hawk
November 29th, 2014, 04:37 PM
OOPS! I made a mistake, sorry. That happens when one brain cell has to do all of the work and the other one is sleeping or on strike. You do sell great pens for good prices. (Bought a few from you this year).

Rick Krantz
November 29th, 2014, 05:35 PM
PS: I have Square too on my phone, except most people do not like giving their credit or debit card number to an individual.

From the interface I have, I never get a CC number, it all works thru square. Much like when you put your CC number in for Amazon or even PayPal

rdcalhoon
November 29th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Big thumbs up for Square. Straightforward transaction for both buyer and seller. No PayPal monkeyshines.

Sounds like many people are using PayPal as a budgeting tool. Here's an idea: get yourself one of the new Field Note with ledger ruling and a fountain pen to keep track of purchases and sales.

ainterne
November 29th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Big thumbs up for Square. Straightforward transaction for both buyer and seller. No PayPal monkeyshines.

Sounds like many people are using PayPal as a budgeting tool. Here's an idea: get yourself one of the new Field Note with ledger ruling and a fountain pen to keep track of purchases and sales.

That's a bit uncalled for...! What is the matter with you? Have you got a new job with Square? "SALES PREVENTION'S OFFICER"

No one was knocking Square, only mentioning their preference for PayPal as a purchaser. As this thread has moved along it seems all this is about is the charges and controls that PayPal insist their vendors use. I understand that, and I was starting to get some insight to why Rick Krantz wanted people here to use Square. It sound's like PayPal are squeezing their smaller vendors and not playing fair... understood.

Comments like yours, and "Those that are PayPal only, enjoy looking from the outside." really don't do a lot to help your cause.... it just drives people away because its negative, and as such irritating. If you believe that our purchasing choice is limited in anyway, then think again..... I makes me think what kind of vendors are Square recruiting that instead of just excelling, have to knock the competitors. Most vendors try and offer multiple methods of payment, they don't make negative comments about the services they don't use, especially to their potential customers, how would that ever help create sales? I would rather listen to the reasons why Square is more beneficial for me to use over PayPal...

Someone else gets my money now, thats fine....... I have started buying about 3 to 9 pens a week and recently started purchasing from here....I can only see my purchasing increasing.....PayPal are trying to assist me, they haven't said anything negative about Square !!!

rdcalhoon
November 29th, 2014, 10:45 PM
That's a bit uncalled for...!

Please do not allow anything I have said color your thoughts about Rick Krantz, or dissuade you from dealing with him.

I closed my PayPal account over a decade ago. I have no idea of what is going on there these days. old history for me.

I apologize for attempting to be clever rather than being helpful, which is what I look for from others on this forum.

Neo
November 30th, 2014, 07:14 AM
Speaking from personal experience, Paypal may have grown too big for its breeches and is now trying to take advantage of whomever they feel they can. In addition, as many businesses do nowadays, calls to customer service are routed to India. My issue is that training must be inadequate as I find the Paypal folks very rude and condescending on the phone.

I've had multiple transactions with Rick, the latest using square and have no issues with either him or the payment method. Rick has a good reputation for a reason.

Rick Krantz
December 1st, 2014, 02:05 PM

That's a bit uncalled for...! What is the matter with you? Have you got a new job with Square? "SALES PREVENTION'S OFFICER"

No one was knocking Square, only mentioning their preference for PayPal as a purchaser. As this thread has moved along it seems all this is about is the charges and controls that PayPal insist their vendors use. I understand that, and I was starting to get some insight to why Rick Krantz wanted people here to use Square. It sound's like PayPal are squeezing their smaller vendors and not playing fair... understood.

Comments like yours, and "Those that are PayPal only, enjoy looking from the outside." really don't do a lot to help your cause.... it just drives people away because its negative, and as such irritating. If you believe that our purchasing choice is limited in anyway, then think again..... I makes me think what kind of vendors are Square recruiting that instead of just excelling, have to knock the competitors. Most vendors try and offer multiple methods of payment, they don't make negative comments about the services they don't use, especially to their potential customers, how would that ever help create sales? I would rather listen to the reasons why Square is more beneficial for me to use over PayPal...

Someone else gets my money now, thats fine....... I have started buying about 3 to 9 pens a week and recently started purchasing from here....I can only see my purchasing increasing.....PayPal are trying to assist me, they haven't said anything negative about Square !!!

I'm doing quite well, either way. I am not sure why you have taken the view of Square that you did. Quite honestly, I have had them as a tool to use for several years, and over time, Paypal has in fact become quite restrictive. I simply listed no paypal in my listing, and it was asked of me several times why not. Quite frankly, I was more than well enough leaving it where I did.

Already, I believe you have made your choice in regards to my business model, and found my comments negative and irritating, and obvious to me you don't like my payment options.

Sad, that I think you would be more than pleased with my offerings, especially if you are new to purchasing pens, and WOW, at a 3-9 pen clip, and with that amount increasing, that sounds like a lot.

I wish you luck on your endeavors, I'm not going to try to convince you, or even speak the virtues of Square anymore. I don't think as me as seller and you as buyer, we would be a good fit. Maybe a bad choice on my part, but it seems with the purchases you are making at this point, you have a dedicated seller base, and probably don't need my selection of goods.

Thank goodness I have a real job, (and not with Square!) and don't rely on the pen sales for anything but to buy more pens, because I certainly would regret not putting forth 110% to ensure I did not let a possible customer escape.

( I had to laugh, and think how funny would it have been if I said my job was with Paypal? lol....)

take care! Best of luck!
Rick

Rick Krantz
December 1st, 2014, 02:10 PM
That's a bit uncalled for...!

Please do not allow anything I have said color your thoughts about Rick Krantz, or dissuade you from dealing with him.

I closed my PayPal account over a decade ago. I have no idea of what is going on there these days. old history for me.

I apologize for attempting to be clever rather than being helpful, which is what I look for from others on this forum.

You said nothing that I took offense to. I found it amusing, unfortunately, I suppose others did not.

you are welcome to purchase from me anytime, as long as you don't try and use paypal, lol!

Take care "rdcalhoon", you're a good one!

BEst!
Rick

Rick Krantz
December 1st, 2014, 02:19 PM
Speaking from personal experience, Paypal may have grown too big for its breeches and is now trying to take advantage of whomever they feel they can. In addition, as many businesses do nowadays, calls to customer service are routed to India. My issue is that training must be inadequate as I find the Paypal folks very rude and condescending on the phone.

I've had multiple transactions with Rick, the latest using square and have no issues with either him or the payment method. Rick has a good reputation for a reason.

and that's why you get a bunch of extras with your red estie purchase. because you are a great buyer, I would even say friend, and hope to run into you at a local pen show soon.

Best!
Rick

Empty_of_Clouds
December 1st, 2014, 02:44 PM
I'm not a regular buyer but I was more than satisfied with the purchases I made from you (Copper Estie J, and a Parker 51), even though I eventually gave the Estie away (big mistake that was, too late now). Although I asked about Square at the beginning of the thread it was more for clarification and not a criticism. If I find myself in a position to afford another pen and you have up something I am looking for then I will certainly give Square a fair go.

Rick Krantz
December 1st, 2014, 02:59 PM
ugh, i have to change my mail setting on the Iphone 6 plus, lol... everytime a message comes thru, I now feel compelled to read it and respond.

I took no offense you your original inquiry. It was fair, and I thought I gave it a decent response.

Cryptos, you're another good one! I appreciate the kind words.

FWIW,

My buddy was saying that he wants me to sell some pens for him, and he WANTS to take paypal. He even offered to middle man this whole issue (on my stuff! )by taking payments if people want to use it, and giving me my cut back, just for helping out. He thinks I am hurting my sales, and probably right to a degree. I dunno, so maybe for those die hards, it might be back to an extent, at least on his items. Probably should not have closed my account.

Laura N
December 1st, 2014, 03:12 PM
I think the environs of FPG must be filled with people who've been lucky enough to purchase pens from Rick over the years, including me. If he wanted payment by carrier pigeon, I'd be willing. Though I do understand that Paypal is a must for some, and that's fine, too. There's a local restaurant that only accepts cash, and takes no reservations, and the food is so good people line up to eat there. I think this is similar: if you want the pens, you'll pay by Square or check; if you want to pay by Paypal you'll shop elsewhere. It's all okay.

I hope you keep offering your pens here, Rick.

ainterne
December 1st, 2014, 05:14 PM

I'm doing quite well, either way. I am not sure why you have taken the view of Square that you did. Quite honestly, I have had them as a tool to use for several years, and over time, Paypal has in fact become quite restrictive. I simply listed no paypal in my listing, and it was asked of me several times why not. Quite frankly, I was more than well enough leaving it where I did.

Already, I believe you have made your choice in regards to my business model, and found my comments negative and irritating, and obvious to me you don't like my payment options.

Sad, that I think you would be more than pleased with my offerings, especially if you are new to purchasing pens, and WOW, at a 3-9 pen clip, and with that amount increasing, that sounds like a lot.

I wish you luck on your endeavors, I'm not going to try to convince you, or even speak the virtues of Square anymore. I don't think as me as seller and you as buyer, we would be a good fit. Maybe a bad choice on my part, but it seems with the purchases you are making at this point, you have a dedicated seller base, and probably don't need my selection of goods.

Thank goodness I have a real job, (and not with Square!) and don't rely on the pen sales for anything but to buy more pens, because I certainly would regret not putting forth 110% to ensure I did not let a possible customer escape.

( I had to laugh, and think how funny would it have been if I said my job was with Paypal? lol....)

take care! Best of luck!
Rick

Blimey.... I think there are some serious wires crossed here....

I was not talking to or about you when I wrote my last note, I was replying to rdcalhoon and his comment regarding "Sounds like many people are using PayPal as a budgeting tool. Here's an idea: get yourself one of the new Field Note with ledger ruling and a fountain pen to keep track of purchases and sales". I thought that was pretty rude and out of context, he replied courteously and obviously understood my comments. Fair enough, and he was good enough to respond the way he did.

I don't know where you have go the impression that I have anything against SQUARE... I haven't.. I only said I like using PayPal. If you read the thread the only displeasure that's been mentioned is about PayPal. No one that I can see has said anything negative about SQUARE..People have only said that they like using PayPal. What I said is that I would rather hear about why SQUARE is good and what it has to offer above and beyond PayPal. I said, I was beginning to understand why vendors may no be so keen on them. I am really not sure why you think I have "taken a view" about SQUARE.... I haven't. I don't know enough about them.

How your reputation came into questions is beyond me...I certainly didn't mention it and would have no right to mention it, I have never bought from you... Again I am not sure why anyone would bring that up, it was not in question.... I must say that is really confusing..

All I asked was why you didn't use both... it was quite an innocent question... . I am completely lost why you say "and obvious to me you don't like my payment options".... lol....Where did you get that from?

Just because someone likes one company doesn't mean that they don't like another. I only asked and was curious about why you seemed so anti PayPal, and again.... I started to understand your reasons you shared and started to appreciate them...

I think if I was in your position I wouldn't be happy either, I didn't know that they are so controlling. My curious side wanted to know more about why you made a point of "No PayPal".
I really don't come across many people that say that. So yes I am curious if you are reflective of a new trend. This is more of a hobby to me, so I don’t spread my wings far enough to get a real feel of trends early enough. I have bought pens for a while, what I said was that I have only just started buying from here, not that I had just started buying pens.

I think you must have though I was responding to you....I wasn't. I was bothered about the comment regarding peoples budgeting/accounting methods. I guess if you have been reading this on an Iphone then I see how that may have happened. Again, my reply was in response to the comment above. So if you have misunderstood me I am sorry for that.

Believe me if you had a pen to sell that I wanted and was the right price that motivated me enough, I would pay you in anyway you liked, fish and chips if you want... I do however as a rule prefer to keep all my purchase running through one place (PayPal) because it's easier for me to keep a handle on it all, hence my original question.... I am always happy to break my own rules for the right reason as I am sure most people are. Using SQUARE if I had to was not in question.

So if you have misunderstood me I apologize. I like PayPal, it's easier for me and I know the benefits. They look after me as purchaser. If anyone else can offer me better, I am interested, but that doesn’t mean I can't use both if I have to.

Mags
December 1st, 2014, 06:38 PM

So this is how the thread started.

Rick Krantz
December 1st, 2014, 06:49 PM

So this is how the thread started.

I know, it is confusing, but originally, I had a for sale posted for the Parker 45.

It was all of $15, plus shipping. I stipulated, "NO PAYPAL".

Someone asked why, (and well, the rest of the thread....)

FWIW, I gave my friend the 45, plus a 21 set, a maroon and chrome/gf trim sheaffer snorkel, a black esterbrook J (plus 5 new boxed nibs), and a Parker 51. He was happy!

that's the value of staying on my friendly side, lol

Mags
December 1st, 2014, 07:11 PM
Glad it worked with your friend. These payment clearing companies all serve to make sales happen. I use email bank transfers too. Willing buyer and seller and a way to transfer funds and it is all good.

Empty_of_Clouds
December 1st, 2014, 07:29 PM
I'm guessing that you cannot transfer funds from a PayPal account to Square then? If you could then at least the buyer would keep PayPal in the loop if they wanted to. Probably a stupid idea (I have plenty of those!).

Laura N
December 1st, 2014, 07:43 PM
I'm guessing that you cannot transfer funds from a PayPal account to Square then? If you could then at least the buyer would keep PayPal in the loop if they wanted to. Probably a stupid idea (I have plenty of those!).

Perhaps this.

Sailor Kenshin
December 2nd, 2014, 12:45 PM
ugh, i have to change my mail setting on the Iphone 6 plus, lol... everytime a message comes thru, I now feel compelled to read it and respond.

I took no offense you your original inquiry. It was fair, and I thought I gave it a decent response.

FWIW,

My buddy was saying that he wants me to sell some pens for him, and he WANTS to take paypal. He even offered to middle man this whole issue (on my stuff! )by taking payments if people want to use it, and giving me my cut back, just for helping out. He thinks I am hurting my sales, and probably right to a degree. I dunno, so maybe for those die hards, it might be back to an extent, at least on his items. Probably should not have closed my account.

Keep us posted! I got a couple of really nice Parkers from you a while back.

Rick Krantz
December 2nd, 2014, 03:09 PM

FWIW,

I might list a few tonight or tomorrow. Keep watching!

heraclitus682
December 2nd, 2014, 07:21 PM

FWIW,

Ooh...list them tonight. I feel like a new Parker.

Jon Szanto
December 2nd, 2014, 07:24 PM

Tease.

Chrissy
December 3rd, 2014, 04:00 AM
FWIW,

FWIW I went and read the T's & C's for Square to check if it was only US or Worldwide. I can honestly say that I wouldn't sign up to agree that I would be solely responsible for all taxes and charges, and I wasn't 100% keen on the way that they don't offer any assistance whatsoever, or Customer service in the event that something goes wrong.

I know that PayPal isn't perfect, but at least they shoulder some responsibilities. In some ways they are good.

I once sent money to someone who then advised me he had rethought it and he wanted more. I said I wouldn't send more, so he said he would keep my money and not send my goods. If it hadn't been for PayPal acting within 15 minutes, I would have struggled to get my money back. But they acted instantly before he withdrew the funds, and I got my money back within 2 weeks. I can see that Square would have been of no help whatsoever in similar circumstances.

DMurphy
December 3rd, 2014, 05:38 AM
It's alright on the 45. I'm going to give it away to a newbie into pens.

To wrap this back to the Parker 45, that is so cool! What a thoughtful gift to provide someone that you may have sparked the passion that has been growing over the years. I believe that it is important to get the right pen to the right person and it appears that you are doing so.